Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Time to pick your brains about anti sway bars ...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Time to pick your brains about anti sway bars ...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
L8173

Storage

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's probably here already, but I'll ask anyway. I recently purchased an ATC 8.5X25 bedroom. I've yet to take possession because the dealer said that I need an Anderson Anti-sway hitch for it. Having not pulled something this large (30' and to end), I was reluctant to say no. First, I was told that this $750 hitch was necessary due to how large the trailer hitch is. Is this true? Meaning, are there others available? Secondly, I'm pulling with a 2019 F250 with a 6.7 diesel. Is the anti say bar/hitch really necessary? Obviously I'm a novice, so be kind, lol. Any input appreciated.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/19 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If a weight distribution hitch is set up right, you can get away without the anti away stuff.

L8173

Storage

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should clarify... It's my understanding this is a weight distribution hitch as well as an anti sway bar.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

If a weight distribution hitch is set up right, you can get away without the anti away stuff.

“YOU HAVE EVERYTHING GAIN AND NOTHING TO LOOSE WITH A GOOD SWAY BAR SYSTEM” Safety should always be your top priority!!!! I like the Reese Dual Cam system.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/19 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It might be a weight distribution system with anti-sway bar.

Alone, an anti-sway bar costs only about $40.

And you don't actually need a weight distribution system if you have so much allowance between your truck's tow capability and the actual gross weight of what you are towing.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are 3 hitches that seem to be the most popular, and get good reviews. Reese Dual Cam, Equalizer, and the Blue Ox Sway Pro. You can read all kinds of debates on hitches, but these 3 seem to work well. I've got the Sway Pro mad I've been real happy with it.

The dealer will many times be about 2-3 times more than you can order the hitch for. Search this forum, and read the reviews, it's kinda likeFord Vs Chevy.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You must use a WDH. You can buy one with or without anti sway. I would never tow without anti sway. RV travel is suppose to be fun. Been there done that.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

L8173 wrote:

I should clarify... It's my understanding this is a weight distribution hitch as well as an anti sway bar.

For the safety of you and your family buy both!

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pulled a 22' toy hauler with my F250 that weighed in around 11,500 lbs loaded. I had 1100-1250 lbs tongue weight and always tried to load tail heavy to under 11 percent (my receiver was rated at 12.5k/1250). You will want a weight distribution hitch just to negate any front axle unloading on the truck even if you are running a receiver that can handle that amount of tongue weight. I ran a single friction sway bar and 1200 lb L-bar WDH for seven years and over 70,000 towing miles with good results. Without the friction sway in place, it towed well even in steady side winds but wind guts required more correction than when I had it connected. My trailer was slightly shorter than yours but taller - I think the square footage of the walls would compare evenly and you will have the same experience.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sway control is a bandaid for trailers that are unstable because they don't have enough tongue weight. I wouldn't be without a weight distributing hitch but I have zero use for sway control. If I had a trailer that swayed, I'd get rid of it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Time to pick your brains about anti sway bars ...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS