Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Dog won't go into RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Dog won't go into RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Halmfamily

Munford, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/19 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Velcro some cloth backing to the backside of the steps. One of our dogs had a similar issue and once we blocked out the gap he goes right up and in.

2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dogs look at open backed steps differently than we do. Had the same issue with out rescue chow / lab mix. he was terrified of going up he steps into out truck camper (we have 5 steps not 3). Soon as I cut pieces of Masonite to block off the 'see thorough' part of the steps, he went right in. We put his food dish in the to entice him a bit too. he's a big guy, 118 pounds so the steps flex a bit when he uses them but he pays that no mind.

I think if you block off the 'see through' part, he'll go in, especially if 'dinner' is inside. Dogs are especially food oriented. Food and routine.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something bad like being beaten may have happened to your dog in a trailer. Reward the slightest try. Give him praise for even one step, then retreat and relax. Try for two steps. Don't make a big deal out of it. Most dogs will figure it out fast. Put his food and the whole family in the trailer. Put all his favorite stuff in the there. Then call him to come in. Training animals takes patience. Make the right thing easy and the wrong thing hard.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Golden loves to amp, but hates the camper. She will go in, but cries at the door. We have a tether that we hook to the steps, and she sleeps under the camper, and is happy, and does not make a noise.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/19 04:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a pound puppy (lab mix) that would not get into the cab of my old truck without me picking him up and putting him on the seat. It was a standard cab and he would just sit there terrified. I got a new super crew cab and when I opened the back door, he jumped in and laid down before I could even tell him to get in. I believe that his prior family had a crew cab and would punish him for getting into the front seat. He loves going for rides in the new truck.
Maybe your rescue had a similar life experience.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your dog has never gone in the trailer on its own the issue is likely fear of the steps. If your dog has gone in at least once on its own, perhaps it is an issue with traction just inside the trailer at the top of the steps. Did the motor home have carpet at the top of the steps and does your trailer have vinyl?

Your dog should not be able to back out of its collar; to me the collar sounds too loose and is a potential safety issue.

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (semi-retired), Grant, Lee, & Fern (in training), Hattie the puppy
Sam the Maremma Sheepdog & Wendy the Kangal (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my little dogs would not go past the shifter. Pick her up in seat, put her down in sleeper, she was fine. On the way out put her in seat.
Might carry yours inside, spend some family time. When it understands that is where the family will be might want to join...

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many dogs are fearful of the open stairs. Buy some indoor/outdoor carpet and drape it over the steps so the open back is covered with the carpet and each step is equally covered. Secure well with bungee cords. For 3 days let the dog investigate the covered stairs without forcing. Then put a high value treat on the first step until the dog takes it. Parise, prise, praise. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. Stop for the day. Next day do the same thing. Third day, do the same thing. Fourth day, use the second step. Repeat the process for two more days. Do this until the dog goes up to the top and then put the treat just inside the trailer. All during this process just sit closely by and watch. Do not try to encourage the dog, but let him do it entirely on his own and praise after he has done it himself. Carefully observe the dog to see if he is getting bored or apprehensive. IF he is, stop for the day. It may take a month, but if you follow this carefully, the dog has a good chance of overcoming his fear of those steps.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

Many dogs are fearful of the open stairs. Buy some indoor/outdoor carpet and drape it over the steps so the open back is covered with the carpet and each step is equally covered. Secure well with bungee cords. For 3 days let the dog investigate the covered stairs without forcing. Then put a high value treat on the first step until the dog takes it. Parise, prise, praise. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. Stop for the day. Next day do the same thing. Third day, do the same thing. Fourth day, use the second step. Repeat the process for two more days. Do this until the dog goes up to the top and then put the treat just inside the trailer. All during this process just sit closely by and watch. Do not try to encourage the dog, but let him do it entirely on his own and praise after he has done it himself. Carefully observe the dog to see if he is getting bored or apprehensive. IF he is, stop for the day. It may take a month, but if you follow this carefully, the dog has a good chance of overcoming his fear of those steps.

I like this approach - as my elderly Cattle Dog's eyesight diminished, he was leery of open steps. We did the "drape outdoor carpet" thing, secured it with small clamps; and he was fine going in and out. I even painted a white stripe along the front edge of each step to help him discern where he was stepping.

Regarding a high-value treat: my dogs will happily sell their souls for freeze-dried liver. Jimmy gets an insulin shot every 12 hours and will remind me when it's time, because he gets a bit of liver afterward....LOL! Personally, I like the Stewart's brand of liver treats because it's sourced/produced in the USA.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And one more thought - before you encourage the dog to enter the trailer - air it out really well? I agree that there might be a smell that triggers something fearful....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Dog won't go into RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS