Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dog won't go into RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Dog won't go into RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
SusanDallas

Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My pet does not like to travel. He is fine once he is in the car or RV but getting him in there is the problem. I have gotten in the habit of feeding him in his pet carrier every day. I don't close the carrier door. I just let him eat and walk back out. When I need to travel, I just feed him and shut the carrier door. Then, I lift the carrier into the car or RV.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My lazy Malamute puppy will jump a six foot fence from standing still to see a friend but pretends she can't jump into the backseat of the truck. No fear or lack of ability just lazy.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dogs are scared of stairs until they aren't. Mine loves stairs now and will run up and down them. He's a fat little bulldog but now he can't resist climbing stairs every chance he gets.

lucy6194

Cape cod MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/19 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fix for open stairs. Our dogs not afraid I am afraid they slip a paw or leg thru and get hurt. We bought a runner of indoor outdoor carpet. Put double side Velcro on top step and one end of runner then clipped bungy cord across each step. The rug not only helps dogs but helps keep dirt down as we remove and either shake off or vacuum.

Travlingman

Jonesborough, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our previous dog had no problems with steps until we changed campers that went from 2 steps to 4. We couldn't figure out why. We transfered over the carpet from the 2 steps to the 4 but didn't have carpet on the first 2. When we put carpet on the first 2 steps so they are were covered too, she went right up them with no trouble. She didn't like the metal steps.

2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travlingman wrote:

She didn't like the metal steps.

I don't blame her. I don't like those old bridges with a metal mesh roadway either. [emoticon]

This is a good catch......and probably applies to any kind of step where you can look through it and see the ground.

Similar to "cattle grates" in use mainly out west.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just think of those 'mile high' bridges with the GLASS walk ways. I'd need a lot more than liver treat to go out on that.

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same problem with one of my dogs. We used to have a travel trailer that was fairly close to the ground. It only had 2 steps and my dog would jump into the trailer, right over the stairs. Now we have a motor home that has 5 steps. He is petrified of the stairs and I have to carry him up and down the stairs. While I am holding him, he has the "death grip" on me. I don't know why he doesn't like the stairs. We have had him since he was a puppy so I know he has not had a bad experience with stairs in the past. Luckily he is only a little over 20lbs so he isn't too heavy to carry into the motor home. He loves being in the motor home.

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Dog won't go into RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS