cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dog won't go into RV

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a dog we got from the local shelter...a mixed breed. He is a good dog, but he has a stubborn streak.

In the past we had a motorhome, but we sold it and now we have a travel trailer.

We also have another smaller one that we adopted last year. She (Sadie) will hop right up the steps, but Cruiser refuses to go up the steps. We bought a ramp, which he also refuses to use.

He will go up to the second of three steps, but no farther. If we try to pull him, he has a fit and ends up pulling out of his collar and leash.

I have tried enticing him with treats, but nothing has worked. I don't know what to do.

I will welcome any suggestions. Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the same problem with one of my dogs. We used to have a travel trailer that was fairly close to the ground. It only had 2 steps and my dog would jump into the trailer, right over the stairs. Now we have a motor home that has 5 steps. He is petrified of the stairs and I have to carry him up and down the stairs. While I am holding him, he has the "death grip" on me. I don't know why he doesn't like the stairs. We have had him since he was a puppy so I know he has not had a bad experience with stairs in the past. Luckily he is only a little over 20lbs so he isn't too heavy to carry into the motor home. He loves being in the motor home.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Just think of those 'mile high' bridges with the GLASS walk ways. I'd need a lot more than liver treat to go out on that.

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Travlingman wrote:
She didn't like the metal steps.

I don't blame her. I don't like those old bridges with a metal mesh roadway either. :B

This is a good catch......and probably applies to any kind of step where you can look through it and see the ground.

Similar to "cattle grates" in use mainly out west.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our previous dog had no problems with steps until we changed campers that went from 2 steps to 4. We couldn't figure out why. We transfered over the carpet from the 2 steps to the 4 but didn't have carpet on the first 2. When we put carpet on the first 2 steps so they are were covered too, she went right up them with no trouble. She didn't like the metal steps.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
Fix for open stairs. Our dogs not afraid I am afraid they slip a paw or leg thru and get hurt. We bought a runner of indoor outdoor carpet. Put double side Velcro on top step and one end of runner then clipped bungy cord across each step. The rug not only helps dogs but helps keep dirt down as we remove and either shake off or vacuum.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Dogs are scared of stairs until they aren't. Mine loves stairs now and will run up and down them. He's a fat little bulldog but now he can't resist climbing stairs every chance he gets.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
My lazy Malamute puppy will jump a six foot fence from standing still to see a friend but pretends she can't jump into the backseat of the truck. No fear or lack of ability just lazy.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

SusanDallas
Explorer
Explorer
My pet does not like to travel. He is fine once he is in the car or RV but getting him in there is the problem. I have gotten in the habit of feeding him in his pet carrier every day. I don't close the carrier door. I just let him eat and walk back out. When I need to travel, I just feed him and shut the carrier door. Then, I lift the carrier into the car or RV.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
And one more thought - before you encourage the dog to enter the trailer - air it out really well? I agree that there might be a smell that triggers something fearful....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Many dogs are fearful of the open stairs. Buy some indoor/outdoor carpet and drape it over the steps so the open back is covered with the carpet and each step is equally covered. Secure well with bungee cords. For 3 days let the dog investigate the covered stairs without forcing. Then put a high value treat on the first step until the dog takes it. Parise, prise, praise. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. Stop for the day. Next day do the same thing. Third day, do the same thing. Fourth day, use the second step. Repeat the process for two more days. Do this until the dog goes up to the top and then put the treat just inside the trailer. All during this process just sit closely by and watch. Do not try to encourage the dog, but let him do it entirely on his own and praise after he has done it himself. Carefully observe the dog to see if he is getting bored or apprehensive. IF he is, stop for the day. It may take a month, but if you follow this carefully, the dog has a good chance of overcoming his fear of those steps.

I like this approach - as my elderly Cattle Dog's eyesight diminished, he was leery of open steps. We did the "drape outdoor carpet" thing, secured it with small clamps; and he was fine going in and out. I even painted a white stripe along the front edge of each step to help him discern where he was stepping.

Regarding a high-value treat: my dogs will happily sell their souls for freeze-dried liver. Jimmy gets an insulin shot every 12 hours and will remind me when it's time, because he gets a bit of liver afterward....LOL! Personally, I like the Stewart's brand of liver treats because it's sourced/produced in the USA.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Many dogs are fearful of the open stairs. Buy some indoor/outdoor carpet and drape it over the steps so the open back is covered with the carpet and each step is equally covered. Secure well with bungee cords. For 3 days let the dog investigate the covered stairs without forcing. Then put a high value treat on the first step until the dog takes it. Parise, prise, praise. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. Stop for the day. Next day do the same thing. Third day, do the same thing. Fourth day, use the second step. Repeat the process for two more days. Do this until the dog goes up to the top and then put the treat just inside the trailer. All during this process just sit closely by and watch. Do not try to encourage the dog, but let him do it entirely on his own and praise after he has done it himself. Carefully observe the dog to see if he is getting bored or apprehensive. IF he is, stop for the day. It may take a month, but if you follow this carefully, the dog has a good chance of overcoming his fear of those steps.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of my little dogs would not go past the shifter. Pick her up in seat, put her down in sleeper, she was fine. On the way out put her in seat.
Might carry yours inside, spend some family time. When it understands that is where the family will be might want to join...

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
If your dog has never gone in the trailer on its own the issue is likely fear of the steps. If your dog has gone in at least once on its own, perhaps it is an issue with traction just inside the trailer at the top of the steps. Did the motor home have carpet at the top of the steps and does your trailer have vinyl?

Your dog should not be able to back out of its collar; to me the collar sounds too loose and is a potential safety issue.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a pound puppy (lab mix) that would not get into the cab of my old truck without me picking him up and putting him on the seat. It was a standard cab and he would just sit there terrified. I got a new super crew cab and when I opened the back door, he jumped in and laid down before I could even tell him to get in. I believe that his prior family had a crew cab and would punish him for getting into the front seat. He loves going for rides in the new truck.
Maybe your rescue had a similar life experience.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired