Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A new trend in RV fridges?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> A new trend in RV fridges?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We leave for a 5 week trip on the first of Sept. During that 5 weeks, we expect to be hooked up to a power pole maybe 2 or 3 nights. We camp many nights in wooded areas where solar would be useless. I will be charging my one 12 volt battery while driving and can last 10 days running all of the 12 volt stuff without any outside source. If we stay more than 10 days, I will fire up my 2000 inverter generator to charge my batteries using my 40 watt charger. I fill my fresh water tank and we can go weeks without worry. We basically use our TT as a hard sided tent with a very comfortable bed. My gas fridge uses almost no electricity. This is our style of camping, just more comfortable than a tent.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

We leave for a 5 week trip on the first of Sept. During that 5 weeks, we expect to be hooked up to a power pole maybe 2 or 3 nights. We camp many nights in wooded areas where solar would be useless. I will be charging my one 12 volt battery while driving and can last 10 days running all of the 12 volt stuff without any outside source. If we stay more than 10 days, I will fire up my 2000 inverter generator to charge my batteries using my 40 watt charger. I fill my fresh water tank and we can go weeks without worry. We basically use our TT as a hard sided tent with a very comfortable bed. My gas fridge uses almost no electricity. This is our style of camping, just more comfortable than a tent.

There ya go ... X2!

That's the way to realize the most value from your hard-earned self-contained RV purchase dollars.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Furrion and Dometic are both offering a 12VDC/120VC compressor fridge. The claim is an 8 amp draw on DC when the compressor is running.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8 amps is big compared to the Danfoss chest freezers. 8 amps is for a full size unit, upright unit, front doors, not a chest???

I think the camping size ones draw about5 amps normally. I do not count the start-up current while it is initially cooling since that can be done at home plugged in. The only concern is the running amps after it has reached set temps.

* This post was edited 08/16/19 08:10am by ajriding *

paddykernahan

Westland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp 4 weeks a year with power hook-ups.
We camp 2 weeks a year with no power.
Next year the no power camping will increase.

Our MH selection was biased for dry camping so compressor refrigerator and induction cooktops were excluded.

Ability to dry camp for extended time without power or generator use was a priority.

If we just went from home to 120VAC camp spot and back, electric compressor would be fine.

Always thought they designed RV refrigerators wrong. Three way has poor cooling ability and the design is with a door that lets all the cold air out when you open the door.
Should be a chest style refrigerator so the cold air stays in the unit when the door is opened.
This would not be as critical for a compressor unit while plugged in.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not one of those in the survival mode. I did =my time in tent camping in Michigan's snow season many times. Did the start a fire with no paper and cook your dinner on it. Did the 25 mile hike in whatever the Michigan weather had to offer. On and on but those were my boy scout days...................... Thank you very much. Today in my large trailer and at 72 years old I'll take a hook up any time I can get it. BTW I also need a glass of ice for my evening cocktail along side of maybe some microwave popcorn.
Life is good and as my cardiologist says... "You only go by once .. enjoy yourself while you can"

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is not always about "camping" or about "taking your stick house with you". There are many RVers who go to "dog things" and have 15 amp hook ups on long cords if they are lucky, or else are off-grid at somebody's farm or a fairground.

If not dog things (there are many types of dog things for as many types of dogs - herding, hunting, agility, etc) plus there are rodeos for horse folks, and movie sets for those people.

You take what you can get in the way of services. You set your RV up for where you need to be and what you can't get worst case. In between those events you might decide to go "RVing" like an actual tourist, since you already have an RV. Might as well use it!

So many varieties and scenarios. The main thing is to be able to get by, no matter what. This Forum has lots of good info over time, so you can organize yourself for any of your scenarios.

In the end, each person is supposed to figure it out for himself, and you can only help him so much. Anybody who even finds this Forum and asks a question is already well ahead of the pack, so we can safely assume he has a clue or two.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Whatever you enjoy.

I love my 3-way and 2-way fridges. I love being able to going off and not worry about generators and solar and hookups. I don't mind the leveling - I'm gonna have to do that anyway just to be comfortable.

Someone else loves the residential fridges. They love not worrying about leveling and having more fridge space. They don't mind having to deal with hookups and solar and generators.

Great thing choice.

Exactly.........Great thing Choice. I'm not sure why anyone that is not plugged in all the time would want anything but a gas fridge. But then, I don't spend their money, make their dinner or stock their shelves. Good thing Choice. I like my gas fridge and will not have anything else til I'm told too. No plug in's, no generator, just solar. I like the idea of residential fridges too.....keeps them in parks and away from boon docking and dry camps. Great thing Choice.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Denali, stock....for now. 2015 Creekside 20fq w/300 watts solar. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The original SERVEL Swedish gas refrigerators were heavy.

Why?

A nickel-rich steel alloy was used and it was thick. But the pilot flame was too exposed. And they were hypersensitive to remaining perfectly level. A guest lodge in the Sierras converted to low head low-head hydro and as a thank you for me, all seven 1957 model refrigerator-freezers were given to me. Late models, with 2-doors. People down here came near to fighting over them. Five hundred dollars each. Simple to operate and when kept level their lifespan was amazing.

They iced up with the humidity and could have used better insulation because transportation caused the insulation to settle.

Quicksilver has a 400 amp 28-volt brushless alternator that when called on delivers 400-amps at a dead idle. I carried a Converted BELT DRIVEN Honda generator. It had a brushless 45 amp 28-volt alternator. At 3.600 RPM it would deliver the 45 amps. I would park a couple of hundred feet downwind from other campers.

It all worked out fine. But I always came second to other campers who did not emit diesel noise and fumes. The bus holds 190 gallons of diesel which was then priced at, 15 fifteen cents per gallon. Twenty-eight dollars per fill-up.

A person has to ask themselves a bunch of questions and then answer them honestly beforea making a satisfactory decision about which refigeration to use.

starcraft69

northern California(State Of Jefferson)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Residentials keep people out of my favorite dry camping areas, so I'm all for them.

+1 keeps them connected to the grid were i like them

2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> A new trend in RV fridges?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS