Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping in Nebraska

Bevteacher4
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
Will be traveling through Nebraska from Custer State Park, back to Indiana and wondering about you places I should make sure and stop at on my way home.
Also, if I should ever stay someplace that does not have a dump station, where do you go to dump tanks?
Thanks,
Bev
15 REPLIES 15

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Pine Grove RV park right off I-80 between Lincoln and Omaha is a nice place to stay, been there twice. Lots of things within a short drive time from there. The SAC museum is one exit down to the east on 80, and south of that is a wildlife refuge with Bison and bears and wolves. Omaha has a really great zoo too that you need 2 days to see it all, and I highly recommend eating at King Kongs across the street from the zoo. There is also an old railroad terminal that is a museum, really nice place to visit to learn about that areas railroading during it's heyday.

MissouriBird
Explorer
Explorer
Take time to visit the Arch over I-80 near Kearney if you are at all interested in history. It tells the story of the settling of the west, from the Oregon Trail days to the building of the Interstate System in a very high-tech, hands-on multi-media way.

Especially good if you have kids. I taught 5th and 6th grade Social Studies for years. Would have loved to have been able to take my students to it for a field trip each year. Very well done. Plan on an hour or two.
Nomads at heart

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I really liked The Nebraska NATIONAL Forest, Bessey Recreation Complex Campground at Halsey. I stayed there the night of the solar eclipse. It was full, I got the last space. Nice place with good walking trails, just off of NE highway 2. Site fee was $11 in 2017. New showers, real nice. It is America's only HAND PLANTED forest! They started planting trees on the sand hills in the 1930's.

A couple of miles east of downtown Chadron on US 20 is the Museum of the Fur Trade......

https://www.furtrade.org/

Well worth a couple of hours of your time.

If you go down to Alliance to pick up highway 2, stop at Carhinge, for a few moments and pay homage to the American automobile.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Places to see in Nebraska...let me ponder this.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
If it was me I would do a Google search for `Nebraska tourism'
Tell 'em again Dick! Not confident OP is coming back.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If it was me I would do a Google search for `Nebraska tourism' and read what is recommended; ditto search for `Nebraska campgrounds' or check your campground directory. Don't have one! Why not?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
Chadron State Park, 9 miles south of Chadron, on 385, is a really nice little state park.
as stated, highway 2 is more scenic. At Halsey, there is the Nebraska State Forest Nursery and there is camping there.
But be aware that highway 2 is on a main train line with trains running all night long. ๐Ÿ™‚
We like overnighting at Sidney because it has a walmart and cabelas. and cabelas has a nice rv park.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
rvdumps.com
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
All Stays Nebraska camping map
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If it was me I would do a Google search for `Nebraska tourism' and read what is recommended; ditto search for `Nebraska campgrounds' or check your campground directory. Don't have one! Why not?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
We came down 385 from Custer and stayed in Kearney, NE last month. My in-laws live in Kearney so we stayed a few nights. We stayed at Ft Kearny SP this time but have also stayed at Windmill SP a bit further east of Kearney. Windmill was not easily accessible last month due to overpass decking construction. Ft Kearney and Windmill are well kept but get fairly crowded and neither have water at the sites. The dump station at Ft Kearney was wide enough to handle 2 TTs side by side. There's a newer commercial CG closer to the interstate at Kearney but I'm not sure if they are open...that area had some major flooding a few weeks ago.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

caver
Nomad
Nomad
If you get away from I80 there are often small towns that welcome tourists with a cheap/free campsite. Towns like Holdrege, Hastings, Nelson, Deschler etc. The Arch at Kearney is pretty cool as I mentioned in another thread. I've passed under that thing many times and never stopped.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
If you drop down to Nebraska Hwy 2 and take it east, you will have good scenery, good road, and there are some very nice and also inexpensive campgrounds in several towns along the way. We stayed at the city-run campground in Broken Bow, NE. There was no host -- leave the money in a dropbox.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of places we have overnighted is Branched Oak Lake State Recreation Area near Raymond north of Lincoln (you could get some kayaking time in)and Cabela's campground in Sidney. Most state parks will have a dump station as do Flying J truck stops. Have you seen Chimney Rock about 45 miles NW of Sidney or the old Pioneer Village Museum in Minden? There's a campground on the museum property.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi