cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extension cords

L8173
Explorer
Explorer
New to this site. Rather than search and possibly find, I'll ask... First Toy Hauler. 50 amp. But to visit the grandbabies, I'll have a 100' run, leading to a 30amp box. From the research I've done thus far, am I correct to assume that I'll need at least a 10 guage cord to run this length (8 guage bring preferred)? I know that I'll be limited on what I can draw. I'll start there. Thanks in advance.
13 REPLIES 13

L8173
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info

MrWizard
100ft
i assume thats as close as you can get and be reasonably level ?

trees or other structures in the way

that far from the house, why not run your generator during the day when it is the hottest period, and more likley to have low voltage power problems

a 20 or 30 amp power outlet, your going to struggle during the day if you need the MW, coffee maker, toaster or any other high draw item, while the A/C is running

you can't run (2) high draw items on a 20 amp home circuit at 100ft of extension cord
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
L8173 wrote:
What does "extending the plug" mean. My novice is showing, I'm aware, lol.

He has his plugs and outlets confused. He meant runnng an underground line to an outlet box near the RV. Which by the way original poster is the best way to do it and if you can why not run a 50 amp box (Standard park box) and forget the extension cords.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

map40
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy enough 50 amp extension cords and daisy chain them. They are thick enough to handle the 30 amp (and them some) and you can use them in the future. 50 amp cords are designed for 50 amps per leg, so they can easily manage 15 amp per leg.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I schlepped around a couple of 100 ft cords for years for the sporting events I attend.

Until I found out Walmart sells the 30 amp and 50 amp extension cords! And they are not that expensive. I bought 2 of them. Makes it a whole lot easier to run a long distance and of course they are made to handle the amps.

if you are going from 50 amp to 30 or whatever, they sell every type of adapter you need. I bought every adapter for every configuration possible and keep them on board at all times. over the years I have used almost all of them to get to a shore station.

Ditch the extension cords and buy a couple of 50 amp or 30 amp RV extension cords and adapter to go down to 30. Get the ones with the handle of the plug end, you won't regret it.

Where there is a will there is a way to get power! :B

shore station atlanta

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Pay to have the kiddos system upgrading to 50a with oversized wire. Still cheaper than RV park after a period of time.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
L8173 wrote:
In TX, so A/C paramount. The "thicker" the wire, the closer to the 30 amp I'll stay. Fair to say?

as long as your over 108 it really doesn't matter how thick the wire is, at 30 amps the breaker will be your limiting factor and based on a 120v start voltage you well above 108, you won't be running 2 ac on 30 amp unless you have a energy mgmt system

L8173
Explorer
Explorer
In TX, so A/C paramount. The "thicker" the wire, the closer to the 30 amp I'll stay. Fair to say?

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
10 is fine for 30 amp, 6% drop 120v will equal 114 keep it over 108 and your golden, and this was at 30 amp not 22 where your ac will prolly live.

L8173
Explorer
Explorer
What does "extending the plug" mean. My novice is showing, I'm aware, lol.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
If you are not extending the plug, It's expensive but you could get 50amp extension cords and a 30 amp adapter at the plug.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
No penalty for a wire larger than necessary. Big problems when too small.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II