cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Sam Standby Sams

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I was told yesterday that the Good Sam board of directors have cancelled the "Standby Sams" program.

Was told it was cancelled due to lack of use.

#1 I would think lack of use in this circumstance is a GOOD thing!

#2 I'm sure most members wouldn't think of reporting to the club that they used it.

Two years ago we made a run to Dallas TX. I printed out the Standby Sams in the states I was going thru knowing help from people with knowledge about rv's was a phone call away.

I for one feel the board should rethink their position on this and reinstate the program.

I'm in the planning process for a trip to Florida and would sure like to have a list again.

If you agree. Please contact Good Sam Club and let them know.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B
26 REPLIES 26

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
Sam Standby? Been a member years and never heard of it.

Just keep watching this forum - Apparently C.B. thinks the more threads he starts with this topic, the more results he will get...:R

BAD Sam, C.B.! ..:( .

Can't speak to C.B. but I personally have had terrible luck dealing with CW. Repair work, prepaid order they wanted more for when it finally got there, failure to stand by warranty when Dish said they are dealers & I purchased from CW. It's all good when you buy something
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
Sam Standby? Been a member years and never heard of it.

Just keep watching this forum - Apparently C.B. thinks the more threads he starts with this topic, the more results he will get...:R

BAD Sam, C.B.! ..:(

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edd505 wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

There's no need to be part of an organization (or club) to be a Good Samaritan!..:S~

There is my exact point!!! I don't need a club to help anyone IF I can because I am a good Samaritan. I'm also smart enough to say this is above my pay grade and I retired one grade from the top of my profession, #2.

I agree random acts of kindness is the best way. And I will stop to help if I think I can. But...
Many years ago, riding in the middle of night. Came up behind a car stalled at stop sign, and could smell gas. Got off bike, and watched the ladies crank up windows and lock the doors as I walked by. Opened the hood, wingnut top of air cleaner, manually opened the choke. "Start it" put the lid back on air cleaner. In this day and age, I would not be able to solve the problem, but would worry about them busting caps

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

There's no need to be part of an organization (or club) to be a Good Samaritan!..:S~

There is my exact point!!! I don't need a club to help anyone IF I can because I am a good Samaritan. I'm also smart enough to say this is above my pay grade and I retired one grade from the top of my profession, #2.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:

Had similar with a M/C club. List of people and what they would help with, tools, transportation, trailer for broke down, work space etc. I put people up in my yard & helped with tools and shop for repairs. Country folks are used to helping others.

There's no need to be part of an organization (or club) to be a Good Samaritan!..:S

(IMO) I don't need a smiley face on my vehicle or RV to render assistance - or expect assistance.

Also - Most folks have an Emergency Road Service (ERS) plan if help is needed. Maybe it's GS, CN, AAA, or? - The "for profit" providers should be able to render assistance - with appropriate equipment -AND- know how to use it.

BTW - The MC club: American Motorcyclist Assoc (AMA) offers road service for $50 per year. No need to own -or have- a MC with you.
Will tow (limit = 35 miles) *whatever* you are driving!..:C
(For me it's my "backup" ERS).

Liability: On another thread a helpful(?) poster recommends cleaning faded RV fenders with a rag soaked in *gasoline*..:(..:(

That kind of "help" could be very detrimental - to/for someone who doesn't recognize the hazard(s) involved...:S

~

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Also have to realize that Standby Sams relies on those who are willing to volunteer their help/expertise/etc. It could very well be that increasing numbers of RVers took advantage of them, and so fewer and fewer people were willing to be SBS's.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
Stand by Sams was a good idea in its day. If you broke down it was great to have someone that lived in the area to help you get parts or recommend shops to help. Some would even provide you with transportation or a place to park or even tools to repair your rv. But it went away when The profit took over. No Profit in it so it along with our Highways magazine is a thing of the past. Just like service and honesty at CW.
Good Sam was a great thing when it was RV oriented. Miss the good old days before it was just for PROFIT!

Had similar with a M/C club. List of people and what they would help with, tools, transportation, trailer for broke down, work space etc. I put people up in my yard & helped with tools and shop for repairs. Country folks are used to helping others.

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
It's a magazine. They have been dying for years. No need to kill trees, pay postage and fill landfills in the digital age. The magazine business isn't dying because of Marcus Lemonis. It is dying because it's time has passed.

Agreed.

Disagree. This Lemonis guy has pretty much ruined Good Sam Club, and I don't know how anybody could ever deal with Camping World. JMHO.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
It's a magazine. They have been dying for years. No need to kill trees, pay postage and fill landfills in the digital age. The magazine business isn't dying because of Marcus Lemonis. It is dying because it's time has passed.

Agreed.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
I remember before Marcus ruined every thing one month the magazine was over 350 pages......currently I can read the thing in 15 minutes.....

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I remember before Marcus ruined every thing one month the magazine was over 350 pages......currently I can read the thing in 15 minutes.....

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stand by Sams was a good idea in its day. If you broke down it was great to have someone that lived in the area to help you get parts or recommend shops to help. Some would even provide you with transportation or a place to park or even tools to repair your rv. But it went away when The profit took over. No Profit in it so it along with our Highways magazine is a thing of the past. Just like service and honesty at CW.
Good Sam was a great thing when it was RV oriented. Miss the good old days before it was just for PROFIT!
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got rid of my patches and stickers today. GBS good bye.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I can Think of several possible issues.
For example.. I am fairly knowledgeable on several RV systems In no small part cause my rig is 14 years old and it's not my first older RV. so I've studied at the school of hard knocks.

But I'm not certified (I likely could be but have never written the test).

THis means is Good Sam's suggests a "Standby Sam" and they give you bad advice. Well in today's "Let's get paid" world. Liability is a witch.
That was my first thought. My second thought was multiply that liability by 1000 if the "Standby Sam" turned out to be everyone's worst nightmare. Every day there is a new story about someone who makes a connection via some normally benign, yet anonymous, system. We have had Craigslist killers and rapists, Grinder Killers and countless other social network crimes. "Standby Sams" infer an even greater corporate relationship since it strongly suggests Good Sam endorses these people whether that is true or not.
My impression of someone who was using "Standby Sam" would be someone who has no other options at that time, meaning they are potentially vulnerable. That is a great fishing hole for the unsavory among us.