Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought a coffee boiler what is it?

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
I use the vintage percolater I let boil 5 minutes and
Pour the sugar/ creamer to it. And its what mom an dad did every morning.
For a moment it’ brings back a special feeling.

Ok ? I bought a large coffee pot boiler.

How do u make coffee with this?

Looks like at least 12 plus cups possibly 15
22 REPLIES 22

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tvov wrote:
Gjac wrote:
A coffee boiler is just any pot that you can boil water and add the coffee grounds sometimes referred to as cowboy coffee or boy scout coffee. The longer you boil it the stronger it tastes. What I do when camping with lot of people is after the grounds and water come to a boil is to stir the grounds with a lighted hickory stick the charcoal of the stick adds a nice flavor to the coffee. This is just poured through a metal strainer before serving.

Isn't there also something about throwing a "handful" (1/4 cup maybe?) of cold water into the coffee pot when it is done to help settle the floating coffee grounds?

I've never done Cowboy Coffee.
I have never tried that, not sure how that would work but I use a strainer anyways.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Vintage465 wrote:
hokeypokey wrote:
Vintage465 wrote:
I have giant pot that holds nothing but water. Blue enamel with the white speckles. Not real sure of the capacity, but I'd say like yours something like 12 cups. Bring it to a boil, slowly stir in 1-1/2 cups of ground coffee.........say Folgers regular, being careful, cause sometimes this will foam up over the top. Turn the heat way down and let it go for 6-8 minutes. Take it off the heat and serve it with a little wire had held strainer to catch the mud as you pour a tasty cup

Now if you fill your pot 3/4 full of water, do exactly what you do but mix a raw egg into your coffee grounds, stir well then spoon it slowly into the boiling water. Turn heat down, simmer 6-8 minutes (like you said) and in about 6-8 minutes, you’ll have Scandinavian Egg Coffee. It’s smooth & delicious. Grew up on this.

Thanks! I'm doing this next trip to the desert when I have a bunch of people to server coffee too!

I

I made coffee this last week end in this coffee pot pic'd above. Filled it with water, brought it to a boil, turned it off, carefully added 1-1/2 cups of Folgers Classic roast and let it sit for 8 minutes or so. Served with a strainer, to catch the grounds when you pour it in a cup. Amazed how good the coffee came out. IMHO, better than any thing out of a Mr.Coffee or Bun type drip, or Keurig.....but I have to say, I've never had a Keurig I wanted to try twice......again, IMHO
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
A coffee boiler is just any pot that you can boil water and add the coffee grounds sometimes referred to as cowboy coffee or boy scout coffee. The longer you boil it the stronger it tastes. What I do when camping with lot of people is after the grounds and water come to a boil is to stir the grounds with a lighted hickory stick the charcoal of the stick adds a nice flavor to the coffee. This is just poured through a metal strainer before serving.

Isn't there also something about throwing a "handful" (1/4 cup maybe?) of cold water into the coffee pot when it is done to help settle the floating coffee grounds?

I've never done Cowboy Coffee.

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the cold drip coffee maker.

link

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
bsheet2 wrote:
We do up cold drip coffee. Use a whole can. Soak it over night. Drain the coffee (almost syrup) into a carafe. Keep in refrigerator. Use sort of like instant coffee. Fill coffee cup by about 1/5. Top up with water. Microwave 2 min. Presto. Smooth fresh coffee.

The cold drip takes most of the bitterness out of coffee. So it is rich and smooth. My wife mixes about 1/3 coffee cup then tops up with milk.

This is a New Orleans thing. A batch usually lasts about a week. Very easy. We like to use French Market coffee from New Orleans.

There is a kit you can purchase. Just search on cold drip coffee if interested.

Interesting. This is worth a try. Thanks for sharing.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
We do up cold drip coffee. Use a whole can. Soak it over night. Drain the coffee (almost syrup) into a carafe. Keep in refrigerator. Use sort of like instant coffee. Fill coffee cup by about 1/5. Top up with water. Microwave 2 min. Presto. Smooth fresh coffee.

The cold drip takes most of the bitterness out of coffee. So it is rich and smooth. My wife mixes about 1/3 coffee cup then tops up with milk.

This is a New Orleans thing. A batch usually lasts about a week. Very easy. We like to use French Market coffee from New Orleans.

There is a kit you can purchase. Just search on cold drip coffee if interested.

siberian
Explorer
Explorer
Hey y'all, i've actually burned up a couple of coffee boilers. I'm now older and wiser about brewing coffee. My recipe for campfire coffee is cold water and add my favorite brand of ground coffee. Set the pot in a med hot spot next to the fire and wait till you can't stand the smell anymore and pour yourself a cup, and be ready to serve your neighbors because the coffee smell will have them from the other side of the campground following the coffee smell. true story.
02 F350 SRW,CC,4X4 Auto,7.3PSD
1997 30ft Wildwood 5er

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Is that what they are called - coffee boiler? We have one in our FW to use when dry camping. I let it come to a boil, turn down the flame and let it continue to perk till the coffee is the color we like. Yummmm.

This is a coffee boiler. And that is really not a good representation of it's purpose. If it actually boils very harsh after you dump coffee in it, it will give the coffee a burnt/old taste. That is a real small plastic tub of Folgers. That thing makes enough coffee for 7-8 real coffee drinkers.

The other photo I posted of my beloved RevereWare Pot is a percolator, and again, if it isn't turned way down once it starts percolating the coffee will come out burnt tasting.

Well, we have one of those too for camping more primitive with our tent or pop-up. We use it to boil water for dishes and coffee (instant).
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
hokeypokey wrote:
Vintage465 wrote:
I have giant pot that holds nothing but water. Blue enamel with the white speckles. Not real sure of the capacity, but I'd say like yours something like 12 cups. Bring it to a boil, slowly stir in 1-1/2 cups of ground coffee.........say Folgers regular, being careful, cause sometimes this will foam up over the top. Turn the heat way down and let it go for 6-8 minutes. Take it off the heat and serve it with a little wire had held strainer to catch the mud as you pour a tasty cup

Now if you fill your pot 3/4 full of water, do exactly what you do but mix a raw egg into your coffee grounds, stir well then spoon it slowly into the boiling water. Turn heat down, simmer 6-8 minutes (like you said) and in about 6-8 minutes, you’ll have Scandinavian Egg Coffee. It’s smooth & delicious. Grew up on this.

Thanks! I'm doing this next trip to the desert when I have a bunch of people to server coffee too!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
ReneeG wrote:
Is that what they are called - coffee boiler? We have one in our FW to use when dry camping. I let it come to a boil, turn down the flame and let it continue to perk till the coffee is the color we like. Yummmm.

This is a coffee boiler. And that is really not a good representation of it's purpose. If it actually boils very harsh after you dump coffee in it, it will give the coffee a burnt/old taste. That is a real small plastic tub of Folgers. That thing makes enough coffee for 7-8 real coffee drinkers.

The other photo I posted of my beloved RevereWare Pot is a percolator, and again, if it isn't turned way down once it starts percolating the coffee will come out burnt tasting.
V-465

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Bob213 ~ that looks like an ad to me.

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you heat it to just short of a boil, it perks.