cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dipping my toe in the Class C waters, Which one

Quint_Da_Man
Explorer
Explorer
As my wife and I gently glide into retirement years (3 yrs away)we are contemplating getting a Class C rig and trading in or selling the 5th wheel. For the next 3 years it will be weekend trips and vacations and when retired we will be heading out for 3 months or so at a time. Our thinking is something in the 32-36' range, probably buy used, no older then 4 years old, have a budget of about 100k plus or minus. But I know little about what are good rigs, rigs to stay away from etc. one model we are interested in is the Isata 5 36ds but our search is just beginning.

What are your opinions and insights on manufacturers and models we should consider or stay away from.

Thanks in advance
2020 Thor Quantum WS31
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk
Blue Ox Ascent Tow Bar BX4370
Blue Ox Patriot II Brake BRK2016
18 REPLIES 18

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quint Da Man,

I've been letting others respond to this thread, but all I would like to suggest to you is that for your intended purposes, and especially if you're even remotely considering some of the "Super C's" mentioned, I think you owe it to yourself to check out Class A rigs. Depending upon your preferences, you should have lots to choose from in both gas and diesel models, and should be able to stay within your budget. Well, the diesels you'd most likely have to go with something a bit older than your stated preference.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Generally speaking the Class A will give you more livable space inside for any given length, usually better exterior storage and larger holding tanks the E-450 based C's. However, if you are looking at the Super C's, that probably won't be the case.

The important thing is to investigate all of the possibilities and do your research BEFORE you buy. I'd recommend going to RVTrader.com to get an idea as to what you can get for your money.

Good Luck making your decision,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Quint_Da_Man
Explorer
Explorer
So much for a discussion on the original post lol
2020 Thor Quantum WS31

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Big Katuna wrote:
I may be arguing semantics but I wouldnโ€™t call an Isata 5 on a pick up chassis a Super C. No air suspension, no air brakes and not nearly as expensive as a Frightliner based unit. They are more expensive but not by much.

And yes I know some dealers call them Super Cs but they ainโ€™t.

"
Agreed, there are really two classes of "Super Cs", the ones built on the 550/5500 pickup truck type cab/chassis, and the ones built on "real" trucks, the class 8 trucks with air brakes and GCWRs of 80,000 lbs or more.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Quint_Da_Man
Explorer
Explorer
jimx200 wrote:
We just purchased a new Class C Winnebago after looking at 3-4 brands. Winnebago build quality is a definite step up when you start looking closely. We looked at two brands under Thor name..big pass!

Did you look at the Thor Quantum line?
2020 Thor Quantum WS31

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a new Class C Winnebago after looking at 3-4 brands. Winnebago build quality is a definite step up when you start looking closely. We looked at two brands under Thor name..big pass!

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Give the Leprechaun 319 MB a look see. Same wheelbase with larger holding tanks.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Quint_Da_Man
Explorer
Explorer
lane hog wrote:
Been relatively happy with our Winnebago on the E450 chassis. It's held up pretty well for being 13 years old, and mechanically it's been no problem aside from a couple failed tires.

If we could roll back the clock, I don't think we'd have given up the fifth wheel and truck. I miss being able to drop the trailer and take the truck sightseeing or shopping, and towing a dinghy has its own costs and challenges.

Hey lane hog I sort of feel the same way about the 5th wheel at this point lol. I don't want to be lugging around this huge trailer behind me all the time and would rather tool around in a jeep to do all you mentioned than a big truck.

But to each his own and both ways have there merits and maybe after a few years I'll feel the same way. Only time will tell.
2020 Thor Quantum WS31

Quint_Da_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your input.

So another model we are very interested in that is not in the super C catorgory is the Thor Quantum WS31 any thoughts on this unit?

Thanks again
2020 Thor Quantum WS31

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been relatively happy with our Winnebago on the E450 chassis. It's held up pretty well for being 13 years old, and mechanically it's been no problem aside from a couple failed tires.

If we could roll back the clock, I don't think we'd have given up the fifth wheel and truck. I miss being able to drop the trailer and take the truck sightseeing or shopping, and towing a dinghy has its own costs and challenges.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

js218
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at Super C check out Haulmark .
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO just make sure it is on a E450SD chassis.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ronfisherman
The numbers look very close to the Gulf Stream Endura 6340 I had. Great MH after I beefed up rear suspension and tires. Without much in it rear axle weights were over the 13,500 rating for the rear axle.
The 264" wheelbase may help with weight. The Endura was 239" with a shorter chassis cab.
Good luck with your search for a Super C.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
If you are indeed looking for a C that size, it's a Super C indeed. Conventional C's use F450 chassis, and that has a limit of just over 14,000 pounds. Often weight and price determine quality. If a similar length unit is 3000 pounds lighter, well.... or if one is $30,000 cheaper, wellll. I like my Winnebago. They put in lots of features, cost more, and seem to be solid units. Fiberglass roof, one piece front and back caps, engine hot water heater, tank heaters. Write down length, slides, weight, caps, roof, price. For longer C's watch the available weight. Some of the longer units have very little carrying capacity left.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Quint Da Man wrote:
As my wife and I gently glide into retirement years (3 yrs away)we are contemplating getting a Class C rig and trading in or selling the 5th wheel. For the next 3 years it will be weekend trips and vacations and when retired we will be heading out for 3 months or so at a time. Our thinking is something in the 32-36' range, probably buy used, no older then 4 years old, have a budget of about 100k plus or minus. But I know little about what are good rigs, rigs to stay away from etc. one model we are interested in is the Isata 5 36ds but our search is just beginning.

What are your opinions and insights on manufacturers and models we should consider or stay away from.

Thanks in advance

The Iasata 5 36DS is a Super C, aka a larger class C on a diesel truck chassis. They're interesting, and expensive. Not sure whether your budget can include even a 4 year old unit, but others will certainly chime in on that. They're like a diesel puller with a cab over bunk.

I may be arguing semantics but I wouldnโ€™t call an Isata 5 on a pick up chassis a Super C. No air suspension, no air brakes and not nearly as expensive as a Frightliner based unit. They are more expensive but not by much.

And yes I know some dealers call them Super Cs but they ainโ€™t.

Are they the same dealers that sell "Class B+" motorhomes? 'Cause there ain't no such thang, neither.
The 36DS uses a Ram 5500 chassis with a 6.7L Cummins diesel.
So, unless it's a Freightliner chassis, or a Ford F-550, or a GM 5500, it's not a Super C? C'mon.
Specs sound like a Super C....
https://dynamaxcorp.com/class-c-motorhomes/isata-5

It's included in articles about Super C's that I can find, that include the big 3, Jayco Seneca, REV Renegade, and Forest River Dynamax Isata.
Here's one.....
https://rv-pro.com/features/battle-super-c-s

If it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck,
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)