cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery replacement brands

bobandvicki
Explorer
Explorer
Must replace my 2 interstate 12v batteries after 5 years. One is for my residential refrigerator and the other runs everything else. What brand battery do you use? Any particular reason for that brand. Thanks for the info / opinion. Bob
2015 3500 RAM Diesel Longbed 4x4 Dually

2015 39ft Heartland Big Country 3650 5th Wheel
16 REPLIES 16

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I do not fret the badging plastered on the side of a battery since the vast majority are produced by a few entities anyway. We just get our golf cart batteries at Samsclub, first set were labeled Interstate, they went 8 years and still had life when we traded them in.

Current set have Duracell badging, this pair has 25 amphours more than our previous set, purchased on one of their one day sales for just over $60 each four years ago. Still performing like new, Battery longevity really boils down to maintenance and proper charging techniques.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
We have Optima marine batteries. We've had them around 4 years and they still work fine.

We have Optima and they are great long lasting batteries. We are on our second set, not cheap.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Due to Optima's spiral design they have about 60% of the capacity in amp-hours for the same "foot print". They are also expensive per amp-hour. Hence worst choice for a large "house" battery bank.

dpgllg wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Optima would be the worst choice for this situation.

This does not really help unless you can provide a reason why these batteries are the worst choice.

Dave
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

This does not really help unless you can provide a reason why these batteries are the worst choice.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my first TT with 2- Trojan t125s on it after 10 years and still going strong. Bought 2 T 125s for my next TT just sold that and went to a fiver. We dry camp alot, so I added two more. Now have 4 T 125's. I expect to get at least 10 years out of them. The trick with flooded batteries is not to discharge them more than 50%. If you do then you will shorten the life dramatically. Yes Trojans are expensive $450 for pair but with a 10 year life and No Hassles $45/year works for us. Also have a tri-metric 2030rv battery meter. We just came home from 7 days with out hookups along with solar never ran the generator. Two T125s are 240amps so you get 120 amps. 6 volt batteries are larger than 12 volt batteries as such it takes them a while to drain down as the plates and cells are much larger.

Happy trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Just tossing out a number with no data to back it up but 80 - 90% of all batteries are made by Johnson Controls and just put the different brands labels on them to ship tp stores. That being saif I just replaced my Farm&Fleet group 27 marine battery that was 6 years old this spring. I think it would still be good but I think it froze solid this past winter when it got down to 50 below. I leave my trailer plugged in 24/7/365 as well
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I don't use an inverter, but have been using 2 6v golf cart batteries from Sam's for years. Had I the funds, I'd build a lithium battery from Nissan Leaf battery modules. For the same weight as my 2 6v batteries, I could have nearly 4x the amp hours.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œIf you don't want to fool with battery maintenance (checking water levels, topping off, dealing with corrosion due to gassing)...โ€

Yes, just put everything on AUTOMATIC and turn off tour brain.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

I just replaced my 2 group 29 batteries with 2 Lifeline Group 31 batteries... Had them on my last fifth wheel as well...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't want to fool with battery maintenance (checking water levels, topping off, dealing with corrosion due to gassing) go with AGM batteries. As noted, Lifelines are hard to beat. Full River is another brand that holds up well. I'd go with two pairs of 6volt GC batteries (each pair wired in series to make 12V). Sam's sells Duracel AGM's that are reasonable priced.

If you don't care how much you spend, go with lithium.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
bobandvicki wrote:
Must replace my 2 interstate 12v batteries after 5 years. One is for my residential refrigerator and the other runs everything else. What brand battery do you use? Any particular reason for that brand. Thanks for the info / opinion. Bob

Replace with the same Interstate RV batteries from Costco , great batteries warranty etc

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I use 4 GPL-4CT 6v Lifeline batteries. Not cheap but they get rave reviews. In my 3rd year with them. So far so good.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Find the biggest meanest Group 29 agm batteries that will fit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We have Optima marine batteries. We've had them around 4 years and they still work fine.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor