cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Original Pull-Rite hitch - I'm stumped on what to do with it

grey2112
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 2004 Suburban 2500. Person towed a 35 foot toy hauler and has an original Pull-Rite hitch installed.

https://www.pullrite.com/pullrite

This won't work for my applications (I mostly tow a 25 foot, 8500 pound boat) and using this would wreak havoc on both the hitch and ramps I frequent. So I am having it removed.

Does anyone still use these or is there a market for them? I can see the concept being pretty sound and useful for some applications. Just wanted to see if anyone still uses them before I toss it in the landfill.
11 REPLIES 11

smthbros
Explorer
Explorer
The "88 Sub I inherited has a pulrite. I enjoy being able to turn without fear of the trailer contacting the truck (which was a problem) and being able to drop the tailgate without hitting the trailer jack. The hitch came with a clamp to secure the tow bar from swinging for towing light trailers. Pulrite used to maintain a directory of used hitches for sale.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
carringb wrote:
That was a newer feature not present on older models. But I'm sure something could be easilyl fab'd up.

Not sure what you think is "older model" I know the one in our family was around in the early '80s. And brother always bought Suburbans at least 6 YO, kept until wrecked or rusted to the point it was not safe. Most times he had 2. (Now '03 as work truck, and '48 for when not working)

It was only in the 2000's that Pullrite started adding the extra center receiver and factory pin-to-center option. The 80's and 90's version did not have those features that I'm aware of.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
That was a newer feature not present on older models. But I'm sure something could be easilyl fab'd up.

Not sure what you think is "older model" I know the one in our family was around in the early '80s. And brother always bought Suburbans at least 6 YO, kept until wrecked or rusted to the point it was not safe. Most times he had 2. (Now '03 as work truck, and '48 for when not working)

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
BenK wrote:
When not being used, the ball/arm is swung to one side and pinned out if the way

When in use, towing...the ball/arm swings from side to side within the allowed swing travel

Well, brother towed a bunch of trailers with his. Pined to side, it did not bite you on the shin. Pulling the travel trailer, yes, the bars mounted so the hitch acted like a extension of the tongue. If we stacked cars on the trailer, let it work like designed. Just hauling one car around town? Lock the hitch in center, and let the coupler pivot on ball.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
When not being used, the ball/arm is swung to one side and pinned out if the way

When in use, towing...the ball/arm swings from side to side within the allowed swing travel
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
IIRC, it had a couple pins went thru track.

grey2112
Explorer
Explorer
Problem is there doesn't seem to be a way to "pin" the hitch in the straight, extended position. The only hole for a pin is for when it is pushed all the way to the left side of the SUV.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
They are the best hitch out there at what they do. Enonly downside is the ground clearance you lose. It's still worth some money. Try and sell it first.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted one for my Suburban, but after checking out what I had to do to get it (added weight, cost and installation) decided not to

Still like how it works and is what HA/Pro simulate via projection of the linkages...moves the center of swing (coupler ball) closer to the TV's rear axle center line

That reduces the lever arm the trailer has against the TV's tail

It should work on anything that has a coupler (boat trailer, travel trailer, etc)

Maybe the OP thinks the boat trailers surge brakes won't work with this WD Hitch system. It should work, unless there is something else the OP hasn't posted about
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had one of those in the family, on 3-4 Suburbans. Most times, if just pullin a light trailer, we just left it pinned in center. Nephew would pull one pin, swing the ball over to left, where he could see it go under the coupler, hook up, pull out and turn right until he felt the hitch hit the pin, put the other pin back in...
I can't see how it could cause trouble towing a boat, and can tame a pretty unruly trailer...