cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations needed for a nearby anniversary trip please.

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
For our 45th anniversary next week, we just decided to take a short (1-2 weeks) RV trip to somewhere cool but don’t want to have to drive very far. We like places like Estes Park, but from us (Grove, Oklahoma) it is 775 miles away. Is there a place in the mountains or cooler temps you all could recommend? We will default to Waco, Texas and do the Magnolia/Fixer Upper sites which is only a little over 400 miles. I already had that trip planned, including Harvest Host stops, but the heat is stifling right now so I’m about to change my mind. Thanks for any info you will share.
David and Deb, plus our border collie, Sadie.
11 REPLIES 11

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
In Taos, there is an active Indian pueblo community. Was there a few years ago. No electricity or running water. Everything is lit with gas lamps. Costs a few dollars "donation" to get in and there are several vendors. While I didn't take any pics of people, they did ask that we ask the person first, because there are still some old timers there that think having your picture taken will steal your soul.

Had a pretty stinking good green chili burger in Taos. It's a little eclectic artist community during the summer and good skiing in the winter. Similar to Marfa, but just a bit bigger and more commercialized because of skiing.

Red River would be good for an outing as well.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
You are exactly right! That’s what I’ve run into.....it’s 750 miles to everywhere I’d like to go. We have a wedding to attend or we’d just do it anyway. Eagles Nest does save is a hundred miles and gives us a chance to go by our daughters home in OKC on the way so it is where we’re heading. You guys never fail to get me on the right track. I’ve been to Fort Davis and love the area, the observatory and vibe of west Texas. Thanks again to everyone who weighed in. Any additional thoughts on Eagle’s Nest and area, please share.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Davis Mtns in far west Texas. After you get up off the floor laughing thinking west Texas in summer...few things to know. With the elevation change and the arid desert mountains, it's generally 10-15 deg cooler than anywhere else in the state.

#2. Fort Davis. Cool old area to expore

#3 Balmorreha State Park. natural spring fed swimming pool. Great place to cool off during a hot day

#4 McDonald Observatory. Several nights during the month they have several star watching parties where they bring out several bigger size telescopes and let you look thru them.

Well, after looking at Google Maps to see where Grove OK is....you're kinda stuck trying to find a cool place to go that doesn't involve a lot of driving. It's 750 miles to the smoky mountains, 750 to Colorado/NM area, 750 miles to Gulf Shores AL...pick your poison
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Golden eagle RV Park in Eagle Nest New Mexico. Stayed there several times. It’s centrally located.

Jerry Parr
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions! I’m checking out all the parks and campgrounds now.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone beat me to say somewhere in New Mexico.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
You can't beat Santa Fe and we always stay at Santa Fe Skies RV Park.

Taos should also be considered. We stay at Taos Valley RV Park.

We will be going back to Santa Fe in early September, and I'm sure we will include a trip to Taos on the old High Road to Taos.

Edit to say, Sorry, but I don't see any cool mountains any closer to Oklahoma!:R Not much further to Estes Park. I still recommend Santa Fe.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Angel Fire would be a wonderful Anniversary spot.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
Taos is close by also.

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
GREAT IDEA! Any specific RV park or campground you’d recommend there?

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
How about Eagle nest New Mexico it’s up in the mountains in northern New Mexico and others are several other places up there too but anyway it’s a good place we’ve been there a number of times
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer