cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dumb mistake

dhulin
Explorer
Explorer
New RV owner. Was at a campsite and wanted to put fresh water in the tank cause the hose was leaky and we didn't want to leave it hooked up so it would get wet everywhere. Well, put the hose in the wrong spot (flush out). It probably only ran a few minutes, cause I was wondering why it wasn't raising the level in the tank, when water started running out from under the trailer and the membrane underneath bulged out! Luckily inside there was no mess. Toilet just filled the bowl. Nothing leaked after that so do you think everything will be okay or should I get it checked out? Lol - I found out the fresh water fill valve is on the other side of the trailer near the front door!
17 REPLIES 17

LiamBlack
Explorer
Explorer
If possible, send a photo to give more detailed recommendations.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Just the first of many to come brother. Iโ€™ve been doing this for decades and still pull bonehead stunts. All you can do is admit it and move on.
Happy travels!

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
rvshrinker wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œand we didn't want to leave it hooked up so it would get wet everywhereโ€

Staying hooked to city water is always taking a chance leaky hose or not. Fill the FW tank and use it. Safer.

Why is city water risky?

Campground water pressure can vary all over the map... up to the point of breaking water pipes. I've taken to just filling up the onboard tank and running off the internal pump

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

Staying hooked to city water is always taking a chance leaky hose or not. Fill the FW tank and use it. Safer.

Why is city water risky?
If the water is hooked up while you aren't around and a plumbing leak happens, you can return to a flooded camper. You should shut off city water (or turn off the pump) when you leave for any length of time.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:

Why is city water risky?

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

we just shut the water off at the campground pedestal when not in use
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Since white hoses are pretty cheap - I would invest in a new hose, too. If any of that tank backed up into the hose, you will regret it next time you fill ๐Ÿ˜ž
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
it sounds like you believe the water is from the overflowing toilet that you have cleaned up. I would go further and investigate it from the bottom to see if there is any wet insulation. You may be able to determine if there is insulation under the floor by simply pushing your finger up against the covering under the trailer and see if you hit solid wood or if there is some give. Anything wet will need to be cut out and removed or it will cause rot.

After it is all dried out I would fill the black tank until it's full and see if there are any leaks. If nothing leaks then drain the tank and go about your life.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Airdaile wrote:
Up the vent pipe and around it into the basement. There's usually a gap at the top that will allow this to happen.

That is the only possibility if the rest of the black tank and system is intact. You should pull the vent cap and inspect, if it looks like there should be little or no flow back down outside the pipe, you need to find the issue and correct it.

John_Wayne
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to spray the whole area that got wet with bleach. You are now camping in a hazmat area. Everything came out of the black tank.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Funny how we enjoy reading about other's goof ups. We've all done something like that.
Jayco-noslide

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Up the vent pipe and around it into the basement. There's usually a gap at the top that will allow this to happen.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Remove underbelly.....
Mold/Mildew issues
Bulging....lot of water in that area

Black Tanks do NOT have overflows so you may have popped the vent or toilet pipe grommet out of cutout if grommets were used. If pipes where glued to tank inlets then you broke something.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would be looking to see where that water was coming from. Water should not leak into the belly even from the black tank flush line. Could be a leak in the flush line, or a leak somewhere from the black tank. Needs to be corrected. Otherwise it will likely be an on going problem.