cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 days in Michigan

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I are in Elkhart to have some work done on our coach. After finishing, we’d like to see something of Michigan. We have visited The UP and Mackinac Island, albeit briefly. We are interested in the Traverse City area, and I plan to look for some parks there. I realize we could have some problems getting reservations, I didn’t make any as we missed a previous appointment for this work to be done on our coach. Due to a misdiagnosed problem with a slide we had to cancel all the reservations we had made for the previous planned trip. If I can get some good recommendations on beautiful places to stay and things to do, I would appreciate it. We have a 37 ft fifth wheel, high profile so trees can be an issue. Since we
have triple axles, we need room to maneuver. We have to be back in Texas by 8/11. Thanks so much for your help.
24 REPLIES 24

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
fdwt994 wrote:
Michigan state park campgrounds are a little too crowded and disorganized for us. Still pretty, but the sites tend to be an "area" which means campers will sometimes be positioned sideways, backwards, etc.

Definitely noticed that at Straits State Park...

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
Michigan state park campgrounds are a little too crowded and disorganized for us. Still pretty, but the sites tend to be an "area" which means campers will sometimes be positioned sideways, backwards, etc. I highly recommend Platte River Campground at Sleeping Bear Dunes. You're extremely unlikely to get reservations on short notice, but they have quiet a few walk-up only sites. I would call them and see if they have specific days / times when your chances are best to get a site. Also, in the Petoskey area is the Petoskey KOA. Although typical crowded sites like at most KOA's, this particular location is spotless, has all kinds of nice amenities, and is in a nice location.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Would have responded sooner, but we have just returned today from a 9-day tour of northern Michigan. In the Traverse City area, I would highly recommend Indigo Bluffs RV Park and Resort. We just stayed there for two nights earlier in the week. They have an RV Park/Campground side, many sites with FHU. They also have a luxury RV resort side, which does have nightly rates (higher than the other side, but they are VERY nice sites). Well maintained grounds, restrooms were always clean, dry and fresh smelling. They even pick up your trash for you. There is a pool too. It's about 15-20 miles west of Traverse City in the Sleeping Bear Dunes area. Fun area, lots to do there.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Wayne County Fairgrounds, then have full hookups, the showers are atrocious, but they are close and easy to get to the museum/village. Yes, plan on a day for each venue, don’t miss it.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Geoboy recommended Henry Ford and Greenfield Village. That can now be had with a factory tour (I have never done). I will suggest (as I do with any guests we get) that you plan two full days, one for the museum and one for the village. Parking an RV near there is problematic at best. The TV will do OK.

If you choose to do this, There are three close by campgrounds but only two are full hookup. That is the Wayne County Fair Ground and other is called "Detroit Greenfield" or such and is farther west. I know little of either as they are real close and we never stop that close to home.

I also strongly suggest that you get online and read about what they offer as it is a lot and it is not cheap. It also should not be missed if you have any interest at all.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
MDOT shows M120 closed just North of Giles, until August 31

That's northbound only and it's just the stretch between Giles and N. Getty. There's a detour that takes you maybe 2 mi out of the way continuing on Giles to N Getty and back to M-120.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sleeping Bear Dunes, Pentwater

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
MDOT shows M120 closed just North of Giles, until August 31
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much for all the suggestions, working on getting some reservations now. Hope we can get all our work completed by Friday so we can be on our way. Trekker, we did visit the RV Hall of Fame when we picked up our coach a few years ago. We really enjoyed it!

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Hard to get too? Take a look at the map. Exit the expressway and wind along narrow road that weaves through neighborhoods that are built up along the lake.

Compared to GH, Mears, Hoffmaster, Silver lake, it's a bit of a maneuver.

Just my humble 5 cents, don't get all excited.

All you need to do is change the route to Giles instead of going through North Muskegon. How do you think Grand Haven is easier when you ae going through town? I live within 3 mi of the north campground so I'm very familiar with the pros and cons of the two routes

I always get off US31 at M120 and follow Holton to Giles to get to Muskegon State Park. That way you can stop at Hobo's Tavern for a quick bite on the way!. (If you go in the winter, you get to see the luge run at the park.)
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
You didn't say so i'll put it out there. If you're looking for a spot for a 40-footer with FHU, your going to find little to nothing at this time of year. Electric only you got a better shot. In any event, If it was me I'd go to the UP anyways, much better then the LP any day of the week.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look into Wilderness SP and Hoeft SP. Hoeft isn't as busy as the western beach SPs, and has a great beach of it's own. Wilderness SP is pretty big, lots of sites, and beautiful. Good luck.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Rover_Bill wrote:
If your route takes you near Frankenmuth, a 1-day stop at Bronner's CHRISTmas Wonderland with a chicken dinner at ZEHNDER'S OF FRANKENMUTH is highly recommended.

X2

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad