Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Sided Pop Up Questions

Kamper
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
We have RVed a lot over the past 40 yrs, mostly with TTs & a Sprinter MH. In 2011 we bailed on RVing to help finance a retirement home in AZ. I am now retired & we are looking at a Chalet or possibly Aliner Popup to do some short trips & traveling. Keeping in mind we are not new to Rving, but new to the hard sided popup family, does anyone have any comments on anything that you think we might need to know before this purchase??
One concern is to go with the couch bed or full-time bed?
We have done the port-a-potty units in the past so that is not an issue..

We have always thought that these type of units look to be a lot of fun, but is that more perception or reality??

Thanks in advance for any feed back,
Ken from AZ
A Beautiful Wife of 40+ yrs & Minature Schnauzer named Bella

"Save for the Future but Live for Today"

30 REPLIES 30

Haley
Explorer
Explorer
"Most people figure one battery per night of furnace"

That's what I was looking for, thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John H.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
As you know the AC needs 120 volt to run. In other words you need to be plugged in or tun a generator.

The furnace uses the 12 volt battery power to run the blower. If you are plugged in the trailer has a built in converter that takes the 120 volt power from the pedestal and converts it into 12 volt power. Most people figure one battery per night of furnace. Obviously this is very subjective and dependent on things like how hot you set the thermostat and how well your trailer is insulated.

A propane furnace does not contribute any moisture inside. The propane flame is isolated in a burn chamber and routed outside the trailer. Otherwise you would get moisture and carbon monoxide in the trailer which would be a bad thing. The moisture in the trailer is caused by your breathing and to a much lesser extent to your sweating. On the flip side a portable propane furnace is vented into the trailer so you will get moisture inside.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Haley
Explorer
Explorer
Similar situation. I have a lot of experience backpacking but DW wants a bear proof shelter. I want to still go to off grid places. Our TV is a Toyota Sienna. So all of those make the a-frames attractive. On youtube there is a gent named 'slim potato head' that seems to have a lot of 4 season fun with his older model.

Storage is worse then other RV's but better than tent camping
Set up is faster than tent camping
Hard sides extend season and keep big critters at bay

My questions:
A Jayco model has RV furnace and A/C that provides cooling and heat. I understand you need big power to run AC. But I know the furnace requires power too. Not sure how long you could run the furnace off of batteries. If I need power for both why have both? Furnace, as name implies, better for heat if you have hook ups?

And does a propane furnace contribute as much to condensation as portable propane heaters?

I am pretty sure I see some delamination or water damage on some of the used models. So need to stay up on preventive maintenance it seems. Not sure if there is a make with a fiberglass or aluminum roof/wall. Not sure if that is the cure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John H.

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the insight, Mike Up... we've been considering an A-Liner, but will probably stay with our Legend for the time being, old as it is.

We, too, love how spacious it is, and the 360° windows really bring the outdoors in. When they make a clear polycarbonate A-frame with 6'5" pop-out dormers on both sides, then maybe we'll go for the push-button convenience!
Michael, Suzy & Arnie Asada (Chihuahua)
'97 Viking Legend 2480
'19 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
We had two Trailmanors. I miss it. They were ideal for towing with a small SUV. We had the comfort of our Nissan Pathfinder and the use of a 1) 2001 2720 and then 2) 2001 3326. Truly comfortable, easy setup, low maintenance and did I mention easy towing? 🙂 Great kitchen with full stovetop/oven, microwave and a huge kitchen sink. In 2720 we had a cabinet A/C which was great.

We moved to a standard TT which we love but it's not the same. Only problem with the Trailmanor is the price. However, there are many used units at very good prices.

Maybe in the future.

Both of the Trailmanor campers looked significantly larger inside than your current funfinder but with a lot less storage space.

My main concern with a Trailmanor is they look fragile and flimsy but I know owners love them as I haven't read to many complaints.

A coworker had a Hi-Lo which Trailmanor took over. He loved his Hi-Lo and had nothing but good things to say about it.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
We had two Trailmanors. I miss it. They were ideal for towing with a small SUV. We had the comfort of our Nissan Pathfinder and the use of a 1) 2001 2720 and then 2) 2001 3326. Truly comfortable, easy setup, low maintenance and did I mention easy towing? 🙂 Great kitchen with full stovetop/oven, microwave and a huge kitchen sink. In 2720 we had a cabinet A/C which was great.

We moved to a standard TT which we love but it's not the same. Only problem with the Trailmanor is the price. However, there are many used units at very good prices.

Maybe in the future.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
The A-Frame Hard side pop ups are to small to be comfortable for me, even when alone. I honestly would rather camp in my 9' X 9' Eureka Tent.

I downsized from a 29' bunkhouse TT to a 14' box (opened 25' living area) soft size pop up. I have tons of room, a bathroom with shower and toilet, and a slide out. Love how big it is and how open.

What I hate is the lack of storage compared to my 29' TT BH but even a midsize or small TT would be lacking compared to all the storage I had.

I tried to like the A frame pop ups but their lack of headroom, storage, living space just wasn't comfortable for me.

You need to compile a list of your wants and needs and go spend some time in one, and go through the motions if as you were actually camping in it, and see if it would work for you.

Good luck
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
1968mooney wrote:
Seems many looking for a easy towing hard sided RV are missing when they do not research these units.

Many do but can't get past the sticker shock. :E

Sticker Shock keeps many of us away from ANY RV. I have owned 2 MH but cannot find any reason too invest again.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
1968mooney wrote:
Seems many looking for a easy towing hard sided RV are missing when they do not research these units.

Many do but can't get past the sticker shock. :E
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
I have researched them for awhile. Looks like the ideal unit, light weight, pull with numerous vehicles, and easy setup when you arrive at the campsite. They come in various configurations. Seems many looking for a easy towing hard sided RV are missing when they do not research these units.

WishWeWereCampi
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Trailmanor, haven't posted here in a while here though. We've owned it since 2003 and we still love it. We have a 2720 with a queen bed in the back and a full in the front. The dinette also turns into a full bed, when we bought it we had two kids at home and now they've both moved out so we have it all to ourselves, which is kind of nice. There have been a lot of different models over the years.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Why do we not see anyone owning a Trailmanor on this forum? Seems it would fit the needs of most that comment here.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
retraite wrote:
And, I don't have to spend any more money.

I doubt you would - proceeds from selling your 2 EU2000i gensets and parallel kit would likely pay for a new EU2200i plus a Micro-Air Easy Start. Sometimes the "new" way is simpler than the "old" way. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

LiamBlack
Explorer
Explorer
retraite wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Times have changed so there's no need to carry two EU2000i gensets just because you may want to power A/C. Sell both of your EU2000i gensets and use the proceeds to buy just one EU2200i. Equip your A/C with a ***Link Removed***. Since your A/C isn't a conventional roof mount A/C you can always call Micro-Air for advice on the installation. Those who have done this find their EU2200i will easily start a 13,500 BTU A/C even when ambient temps are quite high and at considerable elevation.

Well, let's see. I own two perfectly good EU2000s, have figured out how to store and transport them, and I'm "old school" in the way downeasters are - i.e., Use it up, wear it out, make it do.

So thanks for the suggestion, but, my times have not changed. Maybe that's why the DW is my DW for more than fifty years, and we've lived in the same house for over forty years.

And, I don't have to spend any more money.

Cheers.

I hope she can withstand this period;)