cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuff in your storage compartment?

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Prepping a new TT for travel? I don’t want to go crazy with stuff but I have the following go in my storage:
Ladder for viewing top of slide
Broom in sweep slide
Box with levelers and drill for stabilizers Jax’s
Box w/ power cords and hoses
Small tool box
Water prof tape
Game box w/ football, frizbee, tennis paddles
Camp chairs
Mosquito spray and yard guard fogg
Entrance carpet
Ok, so what am I missing?
Thanks Tomm
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.
21 REPLIES 21

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
WTW wrote:
Merrykalia, that about covers it. Think I’ll print it out and mark off the needs and not needs. Thanks

After you are finished camping for the year...
Take stock of things you carry but never used...

OFF THE SUBJ...
When I bought my 75 Fleetwood Prowler, the owner didn't have any keys for it.
I carried it home and tried the standard keys... Nothing worked.
I pulled the Door Lock and had a locksmith re-key the lock for me.
The hatches, I went cheap, and drilled out the locks to open them.
I found an extra 30 amp cord, a beat up propane stove (sold it) and 100 foot of
Parachute Cord. It was like watching storage wars.
I related this, because the guy I bought my camper from used it 3 years and
never accessed the hatches.
After camping for years, we have become minimalist.

AND... If there is a real need for something you don't have
go to Walmart. There is generally one within 25 miles...

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a drying rack for wet swimsuits or clothes. I keep various cleaners (window, heavy duty cleaner, grille cleaner, caulk and gun, rags, etc....) Misquito fighters (tiki torches and fuel, citronella candles, lighter.
If you have an outdoor kitchen you will want cooking stuff.
Wheel chock
Anything you need to hook up and unhook the trailer.
We store our bike helmets in our storage bin and a pump
A 5 gallon bucket (you never know when you will need it)

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Take what you honestly think you will use. The first year I hauled around more "might need" items than stuff I really used.

If you forgot something, there is a Wal-Mart in the next town.

My only exceptions are, my tool box, a small air compressor and the tools needed to change my TT tires.

They can make the difference between a twenty minute inconvenience and sitting until Road Service can find you on some back road. That is assuming you have cell service to call.

My experience is, if you forgot what to need, you will remember it the next time.

I agree with this. I tailor it to the trip really. if im going to the next town over for a 3 day weekend i don't need the whole tool box. just enough to change a tire and get me home/to the campground. for long trips i bring more.

I go though the storage a lot and remove things I've never used. I've learned that "LITE" is short for "tiny storage compartments" lol

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Take what you honestly think you will use. The first year I hauled around more "might need" items than stuff I really used.

If you forgot something, there is a Wal-Mart in the next town.

My only exceptions are, my tool box, a small air compressor and the tools needed to change my TT tires.

They can make the difference between a twenty minute inconvenience and sitting until Road Service can find you on some back road. That is assuming you have cell service to call.

My experience is, if you forgot what to need, you will remember it the next time.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Anything that you don't want to load and unload each time before and after camping should get shoved in any empty space... that is how it works for us.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
On my last trailer I was 2200lbs more than the dry weight loaded for a 2 week trip! I was fortunate enough to have a 4100lb CCC on the trailer.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Merrykalia wrote:
Take a look at this list. It's in the FAQ forum pages.

Stocking RV

LOL on the list! I always have to laugh when people say they only pack 250lbs of stuff! And a lot of them are from people with kids!!!!

lol no kidding. for weekending with my family fo 4 (5ya and 3yo) we are usually loaded out around 750 lbs before I put in fire wood
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Disposable gloves for sewer time.

The amount of people that miss handle the sewer hose with their bare hands is disgusting. Or they'll put the gloves on and still touch door handles, steering wheel, make a sandwich ect.... gross.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Disposable gloves for sewer time.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:

Stocking RV

LOL on the list! I always have to laugh when people say they only pack 250lbs of stuff! And a lot of them are from people with kids!!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Folding Gerber shovel or similar. Bow saw. 4 way lug wrench, spare shore cord plug, and receptacle, power adapters. Long list. You end up with alot when you are done if you really want to be prepared when hundreds of miles from home. Some of it depends on how mechanical you are.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it was in the 15 pages; a torque wrench and sockets for the wheels and spare. Yes, you are to re-torque the lug nuts. Spare may use a different size socket.

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia, that about covers it. Think I’ll print it out and mark off the needs and not needs. Thanks
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer

Stocking RV
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW