cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 Volt Fuse Panel Melt. Down

lemjim
Explorer
Explorer
The fuse circuit that powers lights over vainly, range hood light,light over sink and the one over living room chair just melted, did not blow just fried, what would most likely cause this. The wires to the fuse look ok and there are four unused spots on the strip so I could most likely use one of these. Thanks for any input on this delema.

Thanks again, Jim
7 REPLIES 7

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 What Don is saying...

We was smelling burning one time in our OFF-ROAD POPUP... Got to looking around for where the burning smell was coming from and it turned out to the ceiling lamp fixture that was using incandescent type automotive lamps.. Pulled it down and the whole area behind the fixture had already burned into the ceiling...

Looked like one of these photos I got from Google...

Google image

Now this was scary haha..

Pulled the other ceiling fixture down down and it showed the same thing...

Changed out to LED lights after that... The automotive type bulbs really draw the current as compared to what LED lights draw.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
Most likely is a loose connection that got hot.

The other cause is heat. If you have vacant fuse slots. just move it over to one of those and re-label. Clean the connector or put a new end on the wire if it's that kind to be safe.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am guessing that all of those lights are incandescent. If the bulbs were changed to halogen, they do draw more current. Perhaps the best thing to do is switch to LED lights once you repair the fuse panel. They will draw a lot less amperage.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
while you are at it, replace the bulbs with led's. More light, less demand, less heat.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
loose connection, fuse too big for circuit/panel, defective fuse

when you move the connections, buy some new Cooper/Bussman fuses from NAPA

Buy some contact cleaner as well and spray down the fuse connections, then mate/remove the fuse a few times to move any dirt around.

Check all screw and crimp connections
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on the connections. 12 volt power has a lot of amperage and little voltage so a loose connection arcs and melts.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most likely is a loose connection that got hot.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob