Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

S OR to Redwoods

er78mph
Explorer
Explorer
Hello and thanks all in advance!
We are heading to Van Damme state Park in Northen California from
southern OR and wanted to know if driving through San Francisco is reccomended?? We are pulling a 27 ft trailer? If not, can anyone recommend an alternative route that will get me back on the 101 to head towards Van Damme state park? We would like to be on the coast as much as possible. Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
er78mph wrote:
Sorry for the confusion, we're taking the 101 from Van Damme over to Hearst Castle and was wondering the best route. My apologies again, I was rushing when I posted. I dont have to go all the way to the 5 to head south? We would prefer the 101 but just trying to know to best route through SF.

101 doesn't go directly to Hearst Castle. You either take 101S, then cut over to Highway 1 by Highway 46. Or you drive south on Highway 1 from Carmel, which I wouldn't advise if you're not a well experienced tower.
Since you posted this thread, in the Beginning RV section, I assume you are not an experienced tower.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

WaterJosh
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, I try to avoid going through SF in a car, much less with a trailer

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
19th Ave is the best route through SF. That and the other 2 routes I posted are the best routes through the bay area and on down 101.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

er78mph
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the confusion, we're taking the 101 from Van Damme over to Hearst Castle and was wondering the best route. My apologies again, I was rushing when I posted. I dont have to go all the way to the 5 to head south? We would prefer the 101 but just trying to know to best route through SF.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Two Hands wrote:
Iโ€™m confused. If you are driving from southern Oregon to Van Damme State Park why would you be going through San Francisco? If that is the case I recommend using CA 1 through the city. Definitely not the 101.
Glad someone from CA posted this question, I was going to ask this but not being from the area, I thought there was some secret route, north to go south. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'm there too? I have no idea why you would have to go through SF to go from Or to VD?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two Hands wrote:
Iโ€™m confused. If you are driving from southern Oregon to Van Damme State Park why would you be going through San Francisco? If that is the case I recommend using CA 1 through the city. Definitely not the 101.
Glad someone from CA posted this question, I was going to ask this but not being from the area, I thought there was some secret route, north to go south. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
er78mph wrote:
Hello and thanks all in advance!
We are heading to Van Damme state Park in Northen California from
southern OR and wanted to know if driving through San Francisco is reccomended?? We are pulling a 27 ft trailer? If not, can anyone recommend an alternative route that will get me back on the 101 to head towards Van Damme state park? We would like to be on the coast as much as possible. Thanks!

which direction are you talking about? going north thru SF to Van Damme or going south from So. Oregon?
personally, i would avoid pulling a 27' TT through SF. i would go around through the East Bay, then across to San Rafael to 101N.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks, Updated the name.

Bob

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
US 1 near Legett and the GG is twisty but doable. As in 15 MPH switch backs. Not a typo.

Do not take 101 through SF, instead after the GG take the second right onto 19th Ave/US 1 to 280. Or if you want turn right on Geary to the ocean which will merge with US 1. Mid day only about 6 miles to 280, stay in the center lane. Then 85 in SJ.

37, 80, 780, 680, 101 slightly better if it's not a Sears Point race day.

580, 880, 101 and you deal with Berkley and Oakland.

All about the same distance and time except for traffic.

GG south bound toll due but NO cash or toll takers S bound. Drive through, pre pay, post pay, pay online or get a bill unless you have FastTrak. Right lane only both directions.

For others: Almost all of US 1 north of SF is prohibited for MH's over 40'. As is US 1 south of Carmel, steep drop offs so some take it once and never again. No N bound toll on the GG.

I think you mean CA 1 (CA Coastal Highway) unless they have moved US 1 from the east coast! :N
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Driving through SF with a TT is doable and fun for me. Follow CA Travelerโ€™s advice however.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA 1 near Legett and the GG is twisty but doable. As in 15 MPH switch backs. Not a typo.

Do not take 101 through SF, instead after the GG take the second right onto 19th Ave/CA 1 to 280. Or if you want turn right on Geary to the ocean which will merge with CA 1. Mid day only about 6 miles to 280, stay in the center lane. Then 85 in SJ.

37, 80, 780, 680, 101 slightly better if it's not a Sears Point race day.

580, 880, 101 and you deal with Berkley and Oakland.

All about the same distance and time except for traffic.

GG south bound toll due but NO cash or toll takers S bound. Drive through, pre pay, post pay, pay online or get a bill unless you have FastTrak. Right lane only both directions.

For others: Almost all of CA 1 north of SF is prohibited for MH's over 40'. As is CA 1 south of Carmel, steep drop offs so some take it once and never again. No N bound toll on the GG.

Correction to the highway name.

Bob