Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help 03, Bigfoot 25B25RQ

BigRick619
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning guys and gals.
So to start off, I am sorry if this has been asked else where but I have spent 2 days reading and can not find the amswer. I also downloaded the owners manual and brouchere and nothing.

I am in the market for a 25B25RQ and I found one for 14kUSD (2003) . I will be viewing it soon. The seller has indicated that it does have a current leak that slightly stained the carpet in the rear. Leak is "coming" from a window seal not sealed properly.
He inherited the trailer and just wants to sell.

Here are my questions for you savy RV'ers.

1. Even if the trailer APPEARS to look good after i inspect it. Would you still stay away from it due to the known leak?
2. In 03 did bigfoot still use wood as the subfloor? A dealer i called claims they switch to aluminum but does not recall in what year.
3. I have heard that once water gets in these clam shell trailers, the water has no where to go and will just sit in the under belly and continue to rot the subfloor until it is softer then mash potatoes.
4. How can i get to that portion of the trailer to check for sitting water/rot?

Thank you in advance SO much!!
15 REPLIES 15

BigRick619
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
That's pretty weak of the dealer to not give you a better answer regarding what year the company stopped using wood in the floor. If they're a BigFoot dealer, that info is just a phone call away to the factory.

I agree, i called 3 "dealers" from BF website and they all seemed clueless. That being said the factory itself was very very helpful, but yesterday was saturday so they were closed. 😞

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's pretty weak of the dealer to not give you a better answer regarding what year the company stopped using wood in the floor. If they're a BigFoot dealer, that info is just a phone call away to the factory.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Ours was a 2007 25' rear queen. it was not foam-core construction, it was simply a outter shell, with glued in sheet foam.
I did repairs twice on water damage.
the inner wall covering was a cheap 3/16th wooden ply, that when wet separated like card board.
our windows were not dual pane. simple single sheet glass.
when you vented well enough to stop the condensation you froze.

we paid 31k for that POS trailer, sold it and bought a Terry
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

BigRick619
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
At the very least see if the floor feels spongy as that could indicate a leak.

Agree! I am going to go at least look.. i just hope i am able to perform a proper inspection ... as ive read on some forums.. the belly under the subfloor is nearly impossible to get to..

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
At the very least see if the floor feels spongy as that could indicate a leak.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“The seller has indicated that it does have a current leak...”

DON’T buy a TT with a known leak. And $14k is not a good deal for any 16 year old trailer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Bigfoot truck camper and have used in temperatures ranging 9°F to 113°F using either the furnace or A/C as needed. The only time we had any issue with condensation was on the northern end of Vancouver island in a cold rain for two days. Their products are built for four season use.

We have toured the Bigfoot factory and watched them building both truck campers and trailers. We didn't see any materials or workmanship that was junk.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
I've owned one of those, I'd bet that the water is condensation from the cheap window. ours did.

the trailer is a thin glass shell with glued in stereo-foam sheets, colder than hell in the winter, furnace would never shut down. all windows condensed water and had streaks under them.

the wood wasn't real wood, just chip board covered with wood colored sheet. which peeled when wet.

worst trailer we have ever owned.

Thats strange....I have never ever heard anyone complain that a Bigfoot is colder than hell in the winter, actually the opposite.
Most Bigfoot's come with dual pane windows, maybe yours didnt. Condenstation is not a trailers fault, its operators fault for not venting. Also it depends on your location and usage. In AZ/NV/UT not a problem with condensation, in the swamps of LA/AL or coastal FL then you have to manage it.

Yah. Kinda weird. People up here in Canada routinely use them for snow skiing, snowmobiling etc. Great winter trailer. Built like two boats joined together in the middle. Generally considered a high quality warm fibreglass trailer.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
I've owned one of those, I'd bet that the water is condensation from the cheap window. ours did.

the trailer is a thin glass shell with glued in stereo-foam sheets, colder than hell in the winter, furnace would never shut down. all windows condensed water and had streaks under them.

the wood wasn't real wood, just chip board covered with wood colored sheet. which peeled when wet.

Thats strange....I have never ever heard anyone complain that a Bigfoot is colder than hell in the winter, actually the opposite.
Most Bigfoot's come with dual pane windows, maybe yours didnt. Condenstation is not a trailers fault, its operators fault for not venting. Also it depends on your location and usage. In AZ/NV/UT not a problem with condensation, in the swamps of LA/AL or coastal FL then you have to manage it.

BigRick619
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:

Oh man, is that right? You are the first ive heard that claims the bigfoot ia junk. I will definitely be looking at the streKs running down the window.
Can you, if you know, explain to me, how i could get to the belly of this unit where water is said to pool?

Thank you soooo much

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

BigRick619
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
if your really in love with it? peel the wall back and have a eal look, then barter on the price. he has no money in it so a good deal can be made.

To be honest, the 25b25rq is my dream rv, BUT i do not want emotions to steer me down the wrong path and right into a finacial and time heartache.
If he will allow me to peel some back, i think that might be a good idea.. i mean the price already seems great, BUT a potential water damage repair can be SO costly. 😞

Just trying to make the right decision and i really appreciate any and all feedback from those willing to provide some..

Ty for your input as well. 🙂

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if your really in love with it? peel the wall back and have a eal look, then barter on the price. he has no money in it so a good deal can be made.

BigRick619
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Plenty of trailers without leaks. I'd keep looking. Keep in mind that where there's a water leak, mold isn't far behind. You can always peel up the carpet for a look see.

You are so very correct.. the price just seems right, and happens to be in my area.. but you are speaking a lot of common senseical truth