cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1999 fleetwood gas

gysgt97
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to get a vehicle to tow behind my 99 Fleetwood storm. I know that the wrangler is very popular but they have issues. wondering what other vehicles can be pulled safely.
5 REPLIES 5

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Get a vehicle that meets YOUR needs. Do you need 4x4 or 4x2 ok? How old do you want at the max. Sure lotsa jeeps out there being towed but how many are actually needed for off road etc?

Maybe a midsize will be more fitting, jeeps weigh what 4000+ most rv's have weight limit of 5K pull, some less. No I am not knocking jeeps but be realistic on your needs, just because some have them does not mean they will be your vehicle. Wife road in 1 as we looked said not comfortable at all!

We tow a 2013 Hyundai Elantra, good wide wheel track, good wheel base and less than 3000lbs. It is however a manual trans so again know what ya want/need and go from there.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
If they have so many issues why do they have such a high resale value and prices don't go down? Also why are so many people still buying them? Also jeep can't seem to keeps up on sales they are now building a new plant the the 4 door wangler?
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with mower mech. The only issue Iโ€™m aware of is the cost to buy one, particularly a used one. Seems every one wants one. Every used car lot has at least one Jeep and some many more and the price is sky high but they still move them out. I found it cheaper to buy a new one. Iโ€™m towing the third Jeep and itโ€™s all lm interested in towing.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
What "issues" do Jeep Wranglers have?
I have had three of them, and encountered few problems. Certainly not any more problems than I have had with Fords, Subarus, Chevys, etc.
I towed all three Wranglers behind a truck camper, a Class C motorhome, and a Class A motorhome, using the same Reese fixed arm adjustable width towbar. No problems.
I like my Wrangler.

I realize it is said that "JEEP" means "Just Empty Every Pocket", but I have found that it isn't because of repairs, it is because of all the gadgets that are available to "upgrade" it. I did that once.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Y-Guy
For those casually looking at what they could tow four down the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guides is a great place to start. It provide a great overview, but doesnโ€™t get into to many details.

For those that know more details; make, model, transmission, engine, etc. Then the REMOCO Towing Store is a great resource. It will tell you more details about towing; if you can, limitations, if you canโ€™t or if a Lube Pump might solve the limitation.

But the ultimate authority is the actual Owners Manual that came with the vehicle. In most cases you can do a Google Search with the year make and model to find one online.

There are users that find out that they can tow four down just fine, going against what the manufacture states. If you go this route youโ€™re on your own if there are any damages, this is why many wonโ€™t risk violating the warranty by towing against the owners manual recommendation.

Even vehicles that could be towed one year might not be recommended the next year, either changes to electronics, transmission, engine or the bean counters can all influence the change.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon