Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Casper Wy to Cody Wy via US 20

buffymb
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I want to take the route from Casper, Route 26 to Shosoni and up Route 20 to Greybull then 14 to Cody.

Is this a feasible route with a 40'fifth wheel 13'6" in height?

I understand there might be tunnels on this route and I can't seem to find a height for them.

Also, are there steep grades, etc. I should be concerned about?

thanks for the help.
Buffy
Buffy
America-Land That I Love
2013 Ford F450 Dually
2014.5 TKSB3 Elite Suites by DRV
21 REPLIES 21

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
delete
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
I went thru there last week at 13.6 dead center following a gypsum belly dumper and a Wilson cattle truck behind me. I don't see what the problem is. If you're scared take another route. But this is fastest and flattest way to Cody.
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
The tunnels in the Wind River Canyon....no problem! We live 18 miles out of Thermopolis , and have done that drive many times with our 5er, and semi’s use this route.......a lot! Though, you may be careful about how you enter Hot Springs State Park in Thermopolis......one entrance is only about 10 or 11 feet, with no warning signs indicating the low overpass. You will have the opportunity to “master” your backing skills! 😉

Also, another “plug” for the Wyoming Dinosaur Center, as well as other things that Thermopolis has to offer. A nice river raft trip from Boysen Reservoir to Thermopolis, great Trout fishing on the Wind and Big Horn Rivers (same river), often have rodeos at the Fairgrounds. Overall......there are worse places you could be! :B memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most maps in this part of the states show national forests (and parks) in a distinct color. In the West, forests are on the mountains, the valleys between are drier, and owned by ranches or BLM. So if the route does not cross a National Forest it is unlikely to have significant grades. River crossings may have a grade as well, but probably not as long.

Turn on 'terrain' mode and you'll get an even clearer of sense of the layout.

Zoom in some more and you'll see that US26 is relatively flat and straight.

US20 enters a canyon north of Shoshoni (Wind River Canyon). Roads that follow rivers have curves, but usually no major grades. North of Thermopolis US20 crosses open ground, where wind will be more of an issue than curves or grades.

Looking a little closer I see there's a cut and grade where 20 climbs out the Big Horn River south of Thermopolis. In streetview that shows a generous climbing lane.

In Sat view I can see a tunnel just north of Boysen St Park in the Canyon. In streetview there's a sign that warns of 3 tunnels ahead. They are short. No height warnings on the rocky entrances. The Streetview car passes a large 5th wheeler (Jayco Pinacle) just north of the tunnels. And a 14' clearance sign.

A railroad passes through the same canyon, on the other side of the river. Trains don't like grades or sharp curves.

buffymb
Explorer
Explorer
navybanker wrote:
Found the needed info on a Wyoming PDF. The first tunnel is 12'10" on the right lane. We think we need to take 16 to I 25 rather than 20. Hate to miss the drive around Shoshoni.

I'm sorry I'm getting back with you late! We did take that drive, it was 14 through the 3 tunnels and we had no problem whatsoever. I would not hesitate to take it again. Evidently the one internet post out there that states it is 12 is wrong and really needs to be changed.
Buffy
America-Land That I Love
2013 Ford F450 Dually

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Found the needed info on a Wyoming PDF. The first tunnel is 12'10" on the right lane. We think we need to take 16 to I 25 rather than 20. Hate to miss the drive around Shoshoni.
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, what about more specifics on the three tunnels. We had planned to take this route from Cody to Casper. Don't have the above mentioned travel aids. I see the sign stating 14' on google but a comment about 12'. So on each side of the tunnels the clearance is only 12'?? Truckers' atlas doesn't have any limitations on this route. 38' Montana at 13'6". Thanks,
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
If you have time stop in Thermopolis and visit the Wyoming Dinosaur Center and the Hotsprings. The Wyoming Dinosaur Center has a tour up to a dig that is really interesting and an awesome experience.

caver
Nomad
Nomad
On Google street view there is a clearance sign maybe 1000-2000' from the south entrance sign that says 14.0. google map https://goo.gl/maps/VjAKF4fkwAwbopfh9

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
buffymb wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
As Heisenberg said, no problems. If I remember it's a two lane road but good driving.

I often check out the Mile by Mile site for info on new routes. I also have the Mountain Directory West and the Motor Carrier's Road Atlas. All provide information to prepare us for traveling to new areas.

renee,
please see the posts below.

I should have clarified that we've been on 20. No problem Graybull to Cody. I listed the publications as a suggestion to check before a trip. We have them, but since they are at home, I did not check them for 26.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

buffymb
Explorer
Explorer
caver wrote:
Heading north it's 16 miles to the first tunnel out of Shoshoni. I camped at that little CG and recall truck traffic but was curious. I knew there was two tunnels but saw the third one on google street view. I don't recall any tunnels on 120 shortcut and it's good highway.

Caver,
Thank you!!! There is no way we can stay in the right lane at 12'! We would have to straddle oncoming traffic and I'm not sure we want to do that to stay in the middle of the road. 😞

Ugggh.

Hopefully, others our height will see this post and at least be aware of the situation.

Thanks again,
Buffy
Buffy
America-Land That I Love
2013 Ford F450 Dually

buffymb
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
As Heisenberg said, no problems. If I remember it's a two lane road but good driving.

I often check out the Mile by Mile site for info on new routes. I also have the Mountain Directory West and the Motor Carrier's Road Atlas. All provide information to prepare us for traveling to new areas.

renee,
please see the posts below.
Buffy
America-Land That I Love
2013 Ford F450 Dually

caver
Nomad
Nomad
Heading north it's 16 miles to the first tunnel out of Shoshoni. I camped at that little CG and recall truck traffic but was curious. I knew there was two tunnels but saw the third one on google street view. I don't recall any tunnels on 120 shortcut and it's good highway.

caver
Nomad
Nomad
PDF file for Wyoming Clearanceshttp://www.dot.state.wy.us/files/live/sites/wydot/files/shared/Planning/Vertical%20Clearance/VC2019Book.pdf
Page 24 says it's posted 14' yet realty is that in certain spots it isn't. It's the Wind River Tunnel 1, 2, 3.