cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on!!!!!!!!!

Brett_G
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I don’t get it. I have a 2019 Forest River Georgetown G5. When I’m out of water I hook up a hose and refill it. I let it run until it overflows. Once I see water running out I shut off the tap. The problem is the water never stops running out.
What’s up with that? If I fill it until the monitor says it’s between 3/4s and full and shut it off it’s fine. I don’t get it. HELP!!!!
Now is it doing any harm to my water pump when it tries to get water when there is only a little bit there?
Thank you.
14 REPLIES 14

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine did the same thing and it several trips to figure out the water was coming out of the over flow hose especially when going up hill or taking corners. I just routed the overflow hose about 4-6 ins above the fitting on the tank which is on the side rather than on the top over the tank. This fixed the problem. I would not install a shut off fitting in the line. I saw a guy forget to open the valve when filling his tank and the expansion of the tank broke the attachments to the frame. It took myself and another camper all afternoon to make a FG repair and new steel angles to fix it.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was concerned that a simple hole might allow water to escape into the insulated area when filing so I added a 6" riser and covered it with a loose cap for bugs, dust, etc.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Just drill a 1/8" hole on high point of overflow pipe.

Yup. I've done this with every MH we've ever owned.

If possible, I extend the height of the overflow with a T first. I put a plug in the top of the T then drill a small hole in that (red arrow). I use the side of the T for the overflow. We've been camping for over 20 years now and this method has always worked. Simple, cheap, effective, and nothing to fail.

A very good home-made anti-siphon valve. Since these are on the potable water tank, I would add a small screen to the opening to keep dirt and insects out of the potable water tank.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Bruce_Brown
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Yup. I've done this with every MH we've ever owned.

If possible, I extend the height of the overflow with a T first. I put a plug in the top of the T then drill a small hole in that (red arrow). I use the side of the T for the overflow. We've been camping for over 20 years now and this method has always worked. Simple, cheap, effective, and nothing to fail.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:

My kind of guy. :W
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Plastic tanks expand when full, just install a anti siphon T and short riser to resolve. My riser is 6" long with a loose cap on the top.

Best answer. There are also plenty of anti-siphon valves commercially available.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Plastic tanks expand when full, just install a anti siphon T and short riser to resolve. My riser is 6" long with a loose cap on the top.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Plastic tanks expand when full, just install a anti siphon T and short riser to resolve. Mine riser is 6" long with a loose cap on the top.

Bob

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a Jayco TT that did the same thing. Added a shutoff valve on the overflow line. Opened when filling and closed after full.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, it is siphoning.

Solution is to not fill until it overflows.

Problem solved!
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Brett G wrote:
Ok, I don’t get it. I have a 2019 Forest River Georgetown G5. When I’m out of water I hook up a hose and refill it. I let it run until it overflows. Once I see water running out I shut off the tap. The problem is the water never stops running out.
What’s up with that? If I fill it until the monitor says it’s between 3/4s and full and shut it off it’s fine. I don’t get it. HELP!!!!
Now is it doing any harm to my water pump when it tries to get water when there is only a little bit there?
Thank you.

Go to the Forest Rivers owners forum and search / read. A common issue due to bad design and manufacturing, which causes a siphon effect.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
running the pump dry is not recommended.

There may be a siphoning effect happening if this is a gravity fill unit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Verify positions of your fill valve(s)

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker