cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things to do in Alaska?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Can't believe we don't have such topic yet.
I made it to Anchorage and checking what's around. The downtown did not offer much after 6 PM. Museum closed, some gift shops and regardless several pubs, the 1 we liked had waiting line.
Google shows several hiking trails along the shore and I am working on my wife to get her into Tram ride.
Looking on the map, Homer might be interesting, but that is 230 miles drive.
Any recommendations?

60 REPLIES 60

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, thank to all who shared. Will try to do the same the next 3 months.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are many ways to visit Alaska.
How can so many people have strong opinions about the bush if they have never been there?

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
We saw a moose cow and 2 calves right along the side of the road at Beaver Creek at dusk when we were on our way back. There's no end to what you might see up there. It really was one of our most memorable trips.
Take care and thanks for sharing your pics. 🙂
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be crossing lower 48 border tomorrow, what will end my Alaska/Canadian adventure.
The trip was different than expected as most of those youtube videos show very bad roads.
All roads to Anchorage area are paved and even some stretches were lousy build and lousy maintained, they are solid. Worst "speed bumps" are 60 miles east and 60 miles west from Alaska/Yukon border, so the best advise is just take your time and drive 50-55 mph on those roads.
The wrap of Alaska stay come on our way back.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When you have bear warnings posted everywhere, it is only the campground in Anchorage that had recent visits on both our stays.
The campground has few acres of park attached, but it is still in the city with highway right across the street.
I guess bears learn to come where the food is.
I do have pepper spray, but read it has only 6 months shelf life. Mine is years old and when I tried it, did not smell much, so I guess it would not do anything.
Everybody seems to carry can-mounted horns.
My wife is freaking becouse of bears, but years ago at Sequoia Park we had Black Bear walking behind our backs whole stay and Rangers would not do anything beside advise "throw rocks at it"
We are leavening Anchorage in 1 hr heading 3500 miles home.
Seem we got very lucky with timing. Not only 1 of the hottest summer in history (70's F most of the time) but we had no rain, till we come back to Anchorage and took long showers at campground bathrooms.
Then it start to rain.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
cross21114 wrote:

"Even if I were able to arm myself like the "Alaska the Last Frontier" folks, with a .357M, .44M, or a .45-70 caliber handgun on my hip while walking the dog, I'd still feel 50/50 outmatched by a bear/moose/wolf."

Funny story - the 1st time I went to Alaska, I was taking my special needs son. Decided that I would see if bears were really a problem. The internet was relatively new but was able to view the Anchorage newspaper. Front page was a bear mauling of some campers within the city limits of Anchorage. We were going to be tent camping for 2 weeks. Since the response to a grizzle, when attached, is to lay down face first and hope you survive a potential mauling, was not going to work with my son. Decided both bear spray and handgun were appropriate. My 9mm was not enough so bought a 45. When I went to pick it up after the 7 day waiting period, the salesman asked if I was him to prepare it for Alaska. I asked what would you possible do to it? He said he would grind the front sight off. Asked why would you do that? He said "so it will hurt less when the bear rams it up your a s".

Carried it and never saw a bear except from the car. Been back many times, hunting birds and have never seen on.

Leaving next week for Alaska. Will spend September hunting birds and fishing. Am taking 2 shotguns but not even bothering to ship the hundgun to Alaska this time. T

Have heard similar stories with "pepper spray" as the foil, regarding why the scent of bear droppings smells peppery, or some such.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate post.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
How big are holding tanks on your motorhome?
I think for the future, I would advise maximize fresh water tank and take advantage of free stays in rest areas.
The "parking lot" campgrounds in prime locations don't really fit "wild Alaska" image.
My wife doesn't like boats, but sure there is lot to do when you fish.

Fresh tank only 31 gallons, gray/black slightly larger at 36 gallons I think? We could get a few days out of the fresh tank, if put to the test.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer

"Even if I were able to arm myself like the "Alaska the Last Frontier" folks, with a .357M, .44M, or a .45-70 caliber handgun on my hip while walking the dog, I'd still feel 50/50 outmatched by a bear/moose/wolf."

Funny story - the 1st time I went to Alaska, I was taking my special needs son. Decided that I would see if bears were really a problem. The internet was relatively new but was able to view the Anchorage newspaper. Front page was a bear mauling of some campers within the city limits of Anchorage. We were going to be tent camping for 2 weeks. Since the response to a grizzle, when attached, is to lay down face first and hope you survive a potential mauling, was not going to work with my son. Decided both bear spray and handgun were appropriate. My 9mm was not enough so bought a 45. When I went to pick it up after the 7 day waiting period, the salesman asked if I was him to prepare it for Alaska. I asked what would you possible do to it? He said he would grind the front sight off. Asked why would you do that? He said "so it will hurt less when the bear rams it up your a s".

Carried it and never saw a bear except from the car. Been back many times, hunting birds and have never seen on.

Leaving next week for Alaska. Will spend September hunting birds and fishing. Am taking 2 shotguns but not even bothering to ship the hundgun to Alaska this time. T
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The "parking lot" campgrounds in prime locations don't really fit "wild Alaska" image.

I think if you have a bear walking through many would consider it wild enough! :B "Wild" is only one of the sides of Alaska.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
How big are holding tanks on your motorhome?
I think for the future, I would advise maximize fresh water tank and take advantage of free stays in rest areas.
My wife doesn't like boats, but sure there is lot to do when you fish.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
So I am back in Anchorage after exploring Kenai Area.
Whittier is hard to beat scenery-wise with waterfalls over the port, but it is small village and we did not spend the night there.
6 miles out we found nicely maintained nature campground with beautiful boardwalk over the creeks. My senior pass bought me $7 very private site, what was nice change from $20-45 parking pads we had before. Would they not forbic campfires, I would spend additional day there just for relax.
So now we are showering and resting for 3100 miles way back home. We are going take our time, but still.
Turn out the 130 lb generator I am carrying on front hitch with my Truck Camper turs a dead weight.
Not likely I will do it again, but if I would change few arrangements on my rig- even I consider TC the best RV for the trip. I only feel sorry for guys who drive big motorhomes here with toads.:S

Luckily, I drive a small motorhome with a towed (aka lifeboat).:C;)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
So I am back in Anchorage after exploring Kenai Area and ride on Aleyska Tram.
Whittier is hard to beat scenery-wise with waterfalls over the port, but it is small village and we did not spend the night there.
6 miles out we found nicely maintained nature campground with beautiful boardwalk over the creeks. My senior pass bought me $7 very private site, what was nice change from $20-45 parking pads we had before. Would they not forbic campfires, I would spend additional day there just for relax.
So now we are showering and resting for 3100 miles way back home. We are going take our time, but still.
Turn out the 130 lb generator I am carrying on front hitch with my Truck Camper turs a dead weight.
Not likely I will do it again, but if I would change few arrangements on my rig- even I consider TC the best RV for the trip. I only feel sorry for guys who drive big motorhomes here with toads.:S
Quite few times I made hard braking to pull into nice area, not to mention that few times I make a 2-point U-turn on highway (traffic was minimal)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I think I found my favorite thing to do in Alaska

Think I'm gonna have to try that a time or two when we get there in two weeks!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]