cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Tank Maintenance

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
Any ideas as to the best way or cleaner to keep my Sensors clean and not show incorrect readings. I sometimes empty the black or grey tanks and still get readings of anywhere from 1/3 full to 2/3-full.

I have a macerator so ice cubes will not work plus I longterm camp and do not want to break camp to drive around juggling the tank contents..

I'm looking for a really good cleaner and dissolver that will do the job..
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
25 REPLIES 25

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want REALLY clean holding tanks give these folks a call.
http://allprowaterflow.com/
They can also often be found at some of the major RV rallies. We had the service done and what came out was really quite amazing. Much of it was actually hard water buildup that no chemicals would have had an effect upon. It was well worth the money paid. That was a number of years ago but I will have it done again should we be in a convenient area with a nearby dealer.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to try the Calgon and Dishwasher soap to see if it cleans the sensors. If not, we'll try the Happy Camper method..Thanks for all your responses!!
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used regular TP for nearly 20 years and HC is not necessary. With sealed connections at the RV and the dump there is NO smell. I rarely sniff my hose! I have not found that HC does anything to help with sensors. Clearly my mileage differs.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
When you're dumping and it stinks, you need Happy Campers. If you want to use regular TP, you need Happy Camper. If you want your tank level sensors to work reliably, Happy Camper will help with that too.
For all those reason, I'm a happy camper using Happy Camper tank treatment.

Your mileage may differ.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
DFord wrote:
MetalGator wrote:
DFord wrote:
By adhering to recommended practices with every RV I've owned over the past 45 years, I've never had any issues with my sensors not reading properly.

So what are the recommended practices?

Read my previous posts in this post. Keep you dump valve closed till your tanks are at least 3/4 full. Never leave the dump valves open while your camping - sure recipe for problems. When you do dump, use the flush to refill the tank for a couple of minutes and repeat till the water runs clear. Twice a year use the wand to blast the sides of the tank. Use Happy Camper tank treatment in both the grey and black tank. I installed a flush kit on my grey water tank and it helps.

This is all excellent advice. However, Happy Camper is not necessary if you follow the rest of the steps. Happy Camper is the best odor killer I have ever used but it's not "necessary" to properly maintain your tanks.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
DFord wrote:
By adhering to recommended practices with every RV I've owned over the past 45 years, I've never had any issues with my sensors not reading properly.

Read my previous posts in this post. Keep you dump valve closed till your tanks are at least 3/4 full. Never leave the dump valves open while your camping - sure recipe for problems. When you do dump, use the flush to refill the tank for a couple of minutes and repeat till the water runs clear. Twice a year use the wand to blast the sides of the tank. Use Happy Camper tank treatment in both the grey and black tank. I installed a flush kit on my grey water tank and it helps.
Don Ford
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
DFord wrote:

What I would like to know is if the folks who insist on having squeaky clean poop tank after dumping and before taking the next dump also pull one of these through their sanitary lateral at the sticks and bricks on a dedicated schedule?

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
DFord wrote:

2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
The best holding tank treatment available is "Happy Campers"
It's available from better RV supply stores, Amazon, Ebay and several dealers websites. Here's a link to one of those dealer's websites where you can learn more about it: https://www.happycampersworld.com/

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers-Organic-Holding-Treatment/dp/B007S0H5DU

x2 on happy camper. about once every 3 months or so after dumping and backflushing i will use 1 scoop in black tank and 2 grey tanks. fill and let sit overnight. next day dump and flush again. works for us.

One scoop per tank is all that's needed. Fill your toilet 3/4 full of water after flushing your tank, swish it around with your bowl brush, flush the toilet and fill it again with enough water to rinse the brush.

It was recommended to me by some Trek friends and I've been hooked ever since. We use Charmin Ultra tissue and don't have any problems with out tank sensor. It does a great job of killing the odors too.

Disclaimer - I have no connection to the company but when I find something that works, I share it with others.

With all that being said, nothing will ever be any better than flushing your black tank with a wand hooked to a hose and stuck down through the toilet. Blasting a good stream of water around the tank a couple times a years is a good practice that should be followed no matter what tank treatment is used.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
By adhering to recommended practices with every RV I've owned over the past 45 years, I've never had any issues with my sensors not reading properly. On the hand, if you get lazy and sloppy and don't follow those recommended practices, sensors are useless. It's one of those pay me now or pay me later scenarios.
Don Ford

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tank sensors are a sales 'gimmick'. None work as intended. If it starts to get full, you'll notice a different sound as you flush. If needed, put a sticky in the bathroom as to when you last emptied it. More reliable than the sensors. I've only used water in our tanks and in 40 years of camping, never had an issue with smells. IMO, everything else is a waste of money.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
The best holding tank treatment available is "Happy Campers"
It's available from better RV supply stores, Amazon, Ebay and several dealers websites. Here's a link to one of those dealer's websites where you can learn more about it: https://www.happycampersworld.com/

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers-Organic-Holding-Treatment/dp/B007S0H5DU

I agree with the Happy Camper recommendation. Have tried various products over the years and Happy Camper is the best I have found.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
It might be overkill, but I flush the tanks and use Dawn/Calgon after every trip. I have a built-in tank flusher so I hook that up and let it do its thing. I also allow the black tank to fill almost full several times and then dump it. Once I have only clear water coming out of the black tank, I let it empty as much as it will, and then close the valves, and put in two gallons of hot water mixed with a box of Calgon and 1 small bottle of Dawn. So far, so good.....no smells inside, and everything appears to be working properly. Unfortunately, my tank sensors were out of service long before I got the rig.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
If you are on a sewer site...don't worry about. All it takes is 30 seconds to walk around and pull the valve.

So do that once every 3-4 days of use (if you find it's getting full sooner drop to 2-3 days).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV