cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator / Invertor

Sanddragger
Explorer
Explorer
We put the Predator generator to the test this weekend. We purchased the 2000 watt and we were very disappointed in it's ability to power anything. We were able to get a pot of coffee and that was it. (it took every ounce of power). We will be returning and upgrading to a larger unit. Generator however fired right up and ran great, just not enough output.
Mike
25 REPLIES 25

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sanddragger wrote:
philh wrote:
That weight difference is HUGE. My wife can handle the 2000w on her own. I'm not sure I could handle the 3500 without a lot of pain pills the next day ๐Ÿ™‚

Phil, have you considered linking two of the 2000W generators together?
Absolutely.

With a 2500w and easy start, don't need the 2nd unit.

Sanddragger
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
That weight difference is HUGE. My wife can handle the 2000w on her own. I'm not sure I could handle the 3500 without a lot of pain pills the next day ๐Ÿ™‚

Phil, have you considered linking two of the 2000W generators together?

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
reno6 wrote:
Please see my thread in the tech section where I am successful running a 15k AC with a honda 2200i with the addition of a inexpensive supco cap. Not everyone needs a 150lb generator.

librty02 wrote:
Well 2000 Watts isn't much power at all. Great for running lights,the fridge, furnace, Micro, and water pump. Forget the AC and other things with only 2000 watts
Heck I think my wife's hair dryer is 1800 watts alone.

People really rave about the 3500 watt predator. Maybe give that one a try and you should be able to run the AC no problem with it.

Yes I know these assist compressor start up but also over time they do ruin the compressor faster than normal. There is a newer product out called the micro air easy start. These are alot better than the capacitors but also cost $300. Not everyone wants to add a cap or an easy start to thier ac either. Me I rather have the bigger gen to handle the AC and other appliances at the same time as 2200 watts is only 18 amps and my trailer draws that with the ac running and the fridge running alone.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

reno6
Explorer
Explorer
Please see my thread in the tech section where I am successful running a 15k AC with a honda 2200i with the addition of a inexpensive supco cap. Not everyone needs a 150lb generator.

librty02 wrote:
Well 2000 Watts isn't much power at all. Great for running lights,the fridge, furnace, Micro, and water pump. Forget the AC and other things with only 2000 watts
Heck I think my wife's hair dryer is 1800 watts alone.

People really rave about the 3500 watt predator. Maybe give that one a try and you should be able to run the AC no problem with it.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
AutomationIsComing wrote:
Ride S40T wrote:
Won't run a lot of things without the home made jumper plug to settle the floating ground.

You gotta explain that one to me haha

People who have installed an energy management system, like the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C or EMS-HW50C, have a problem with generators with a "floating neutral." (It is not a floating ground.) The EMS checks for a good ground because a house's wiring has a good ground. If the ground is not there, the EMS will not connect power, thinking the wiring is bad.

A generator with a floating neutral does not have the ground pin connected to anything. The hot and neutral wires are the only ones connected. The EMS does not like this. At all.

You fix this by buying or making a "bonding plug" and plugging it into an outlet ON THE GENERATOR. (It costs about $3 to make.)

Go to a big box hardware store and buy a 3 prong replacement plug, and a couple of inches of wire. Open the plug and wire the ground pin to the neutral pin. DO NOT WIRE ANYTHING TO THE HOT PIN. Plug this into an outlet on the generator, and the EMS is fooled into thinking you have a good ground, and will let power through.

I have one for my Honda EU2000. It has a second benefit for me. You are not supposed to shut down the generator while it is powering stuff. I just unplug the bonding plug, and the EMS senses the loss of ground, and shuts off all power to the RV. Now, the generator is not powering anything (except the control circuit of the EMS, itself).

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

AutomationIsCom
Explorer
Explorer
Ride S40T wrote:
Ditto. Have a 2000w Champ inverter, barely runs a few items. Won't run a lot of things without the home made jumper plug to settle the floating ground.

Also have the 3400w Champ inverter. It runs everything fine (15,000 BTU AC) and barely groans.

You gotta explain that one to me haha

Sanddragger
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:

We to have thought about it. We are considering a portable hoist for the trailer hitch as well as just leaving it in the back of our tow rig.I have seen others mount them on the rear bumpers as well.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

Sanddragger
Explorer
Explorer
librty02 wrote:
Sanddragger wrote:
Returned the 2k generator last night for the 3500. Doing some break-in now. I was impressed with Harbor Freight's return policy. Not 1 ounce of questioning. I cannot believe how quiet this generator is. Hopefully we will get the performance we need.

Thanks for the replies!

Sweet! Good deal. Did you use a coupon and did you get the extended warranty on it? If so what did that run you?

Sold me the Gen for $699.00 and the 2 yr plan for $156.00 so it was a trade off.

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Sanddragger wrote:
Returned the 2k generator last night for the 3500. Doing some break-in now. I was impressed with Harbor Freight's return policy. Not 1 ounce of questioning. I cannot believe how quiet this generator is. Hopefully we will get the performance we need.

Thanks for the replies!

Sweet! Good deal. Did you use a coupon and did you get the extended warranty on it? If so what did that run you?
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Is the 3500 significantly quieter than the 2000 model?

Can't speak on the 2000 noise level as I've never seen one in use. The HF site claims the 2000 has a 65db noise level and the 3500 has a 57db noise level. I don't know at what distance they measured but I did measure my 3500 noise level at 25' and it was under 57db at load (A/C was on) and quieter than my neighbors Honda 3000 at the same distance.

Weight of the 2000 is listed as 47# (empty). 3500 listed at 99.2# (empty). Mine with fuel and oil weighs 117#.

Sanddragger
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:

It is, by 5 db!!
Electric start or pull start. Very happy so far.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Sanddragger
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
The bigger the generator the more it weighs.

I borrowed a 3KW construction sight unit and it powered everything; if you could stand the noise and muscle it into a decent location.

I am old so weigh and noise are my prime concerns. If the microwave has to wait until the coffee is done, so be it.

If I really needed a lot of power I would spend the bucks for the lighter quieter unit.

There is a big difference between the two. Heavier, louder and dirtier power vs the inverter style generators. Though I'm in the same shoes, I can still manage to muscle this generator around.
Good luck and safe travels.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-Watt-Super-Quiet-Inverter-Generator-63584.html