Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Blue Beacon Truck Wash
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Blue Beacon Truck Wash

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
LibertyMan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normally, I am the type that washes my travel trailer myself, but thought what the heck, let's save an hour and see if these guys can do a good job. For my next trip there is a Blue Beacon along the route, thinking about giving it a try. Anyone else used one before?

2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have used blue beacon etc many times. the one that is most convenient for us is in central AZ, on I 10, near the I 8 junction. they will wash your toad, too...or not, according to your choice.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

are the pressure washers, soap, etc. enemies of clear coat? been wondering if it would be safe for our MH. also don't want to unnecessarily delay the OTR truckers...after all, they are at work.

'73,
rich, n9dko
If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares then why does he keep doing it?
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TexasShadow wrote:

we have used blue beacon etc many times. the one that is most convenient for us is in central AZ, on I 10, near the I 8 junction. they will wash your toad, too...or not, according to your choice.

Not for free....

We (truckers) call it the 'Streak'in Beacon'.

Whatever you do, just make sure they don't apply 'brightener' to anything, just wash. Brightener is muratic acid (which takes the oxidation off aluminum) and could be detrimental to the finish on your RV.

Some Beacons are excellent, some not so good. Timing is everything. If they are real busy (like say after a rainstorm when the sun comes back out and they are backed up), then they do a quick job that may not be to your satisfaction (and they will rewash but you have to do the line again). Best time is late at night or over a holiday when the truck traffic is marginal. Few trucks on the road equals few trucks at the Beacon equals a better job and little wait in line.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

LibertyMan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

Whatever you do, just make sure they don't apply 'brightener' to anything, just wash. Brightener is muratic acid (which takes the oxidation off aluminum) and could be detrimental to the finish on your RV.

Nice to know. I will keep that in mind.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have used a few .. I've always been happy..

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We frequent Blue Beacon often. Generally they do a great job and we are happy they are out there. In the last 10 years only 1 bad wash experience. They just did a poor job. We got a refund and a $20 coupon towards our next wash.

neil57

southern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As sidecar flip said, streaking beacon is their name, they will use the acid to remove bugs or heavy dirt, and it will etch your paint. Could always tell trucks washed there a lot as the paint was dull.

2009 2500HD Sierra CC DA
2014 Crossroads Cruiser 35ss

Romer1

Bolingbrook, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

are the pressure washers, soap, etc. enemies of clear coat? been wondering if it would be safe for our MH. also don't want to unnecessarily delay the OTR truckers...after all, they are at work.

Have had my Suncruiser washed there many times ( same as your old Suncruiser) and haven't had any problems. Closest one is in Rochelle.

Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited(toad)

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

neil57 wrote:

As sidecar flip said, streaking beacon is their name, they will use the acid to remove bugs or heavy dirt, and it will etch your paint. Could always tell trucks washed there a lot as the paint was dull.

Think that has more to do with the water based paint truck builders are using today and no clearcoat on a truck than anything else. With most RV's the color is in the skin, not painted on and in the case of a MoHo, the paint is clearcoated.

I've gotten good and bad wash jobs on my big truck before. Think my 2 favorite Beacons are Stoney Ridge, Ohio Turnpike at exit 5 on I 280 and Burns Harbor on I94. Both are 2 bay Beacons so it's quicker. The crews at Burns Harbor, really hump.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Blue Beacon Truck Wash
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS