Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Trailer Thoughts

Gibby_007
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to pick the brains of some of you experts out there

I have a 2017 Ford F-150 Ecoboost 3.5 L

Family of 3 ,maybe 4 one day and a dog...

Looking at possibly purchasing a 2020 Grey Wolf 23DBH

That trailer is roughly 30ft.

Is that a length that is feasible for parks and getting into spots primarily in the Ontario Parks ? Also any good park recommendations would be appreciated too. I’m sure it would be tough booking them at this point ...

Any info appreciated ...

Thanks

Gibby
8 REPLIES 8

Gibby_007
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone ! I’ll update when we pull the trigger

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
trail-explorer wrote:
WNYBob wrote:
I would recommend not getting a "Fiberglass" exterior from any manufacturer. That "great" looking skin is backed by wood! When moisture penetrates the seams you get the "dreaded" delamination,which will cost you at least 10% in resale value!!! (The exception is those rv's built with Azdel backing).
So look at the "old" aluminum sided rv's.

Maintain the seals and all is well.

Seals need maintained on Aluminum trailers too, otherwise they leak and rot.

X2

Get whichever you want or like best and get you rear on the roof 2-3 times a year and check all your seams and seals and redo any that look like they may have a crack or place for water to get in. Check the corner seams on all four corners and the seams on the front of the trailer as well as it gets pounded with rain when hauling during a storm. Do that religiously and your camper will last. Don't and they all will rot if left to let water in, less the all aluminum trailers.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
I would recommend not getting a "Fiberglass" exterior from any manufacturer. That "great" looking skin is backed by wood! When moisture penetrates the seams you get the "dreaded" delamination,which will cost you at least 10% in resale value!!! (The exception is those rv's built with Azdel backing).

Maintain the seals and all is well.

Seals need maintained on Aluminum trailers too, otherwise they leak and rot.
Bob

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
IME, that length can be accommodated at most any Ontario park. It will limit selection some. 25' is probably a better length for site selection flexibility. (Gotta love the Ontario Parks Lottery ... Be ready to click your preferred, available, site at precisely 7am 5 months in advance to get a site during the summer ...)

A somewhat less obvious recommendation, but also a great park and no reservations: Pukaskwa on the NE end of Lake Superior (near Marathon) is very nice.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
The last 3 trailers we've owned were fiberglass siding and yet to experience any delamination.....perhaps the lack of roof maintenance triggers this undesirable appearance..
We've found the same in the states,get up around 30ft and sites get limited.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
We find that once you get over 26’ sites get limited in provincial parks. That’s not to say that you can’t get in, it just means you need to book early. We are 34’ which limits us to about 15% of sites available. To get where we want we have to be on the online reservation system at 7am 5 months to the day in advance, and even that is tough. It’s been stressful to reserve but we’ve always managed to get something.

Some of our favourite PPs are Grundy, Arrowhead and Awenda. Look here for site availability and reservations.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

bid_time
Explorer
Explorer
From what I see that is a 26' +/- box and 29' overall length. I don't know about Ontario Provincial Parks but generally speaking that should be very good length for almost any park.