cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning black streaks

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
We have an aluminum siding travel trailer. We can't get rid of the black streaks. We have tried the LA Awesome cleaner with a pressure sprayer and had no luck. Any suggestions??
18 REPLIES 18

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Rain gutter extensions help a lot.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

REDF350
Explorer
Explorer
We've been using Awesome from a dollar store for years.
2003 Coachmen Catalina 300 TBS
2006 Ford F350, 6.8L, V10, 4.10
Husky 1000 WD
Camco friction sway control
Prodigy BC
Wife, Four Children (22G, 19G, 17B, 11G)
One Labrador

Ride_S40T
Explorer
Explorer
I've used magic eraser, as stated do not scrub with it.

A bigger question would be: we're in the year 2019 and manufacturers can't find or develop a rubber that doesn't bleed down our RVs? Seriously?
2021 Grand Design 268BH
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome is the easy method I've tried.

Vvvv1010
Explorer
Explorer
Wash your camper several times, for several months using a good wash and wax soap like Meguiars, Turtle Wax, or Mothers. You need to wash out the dirt and grime that is causing these blacks streaks running down your windows, gutters, vents.

To wipe off black streaks, try Meguiars Waterless Wash and Wax. Mothers also has one. FW1 also has one, but have not seen it Wal Mart. These waterless products have wax in them.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2011 Ford F250 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Two 10'0 Kayaks

Carvhors
Explorer
Explorer
Npdchief07 wrote:
We have an aluminum siding travel trailer. We can't get rid of the black streaks. We have tried the LA Awesome cleaner with a pressure sprayer and had no luck. Any suggestions??

LA Awesome has always worked perfectly for me. I also have aluminum siding. While I'm washing I just hit the streaked areas with a spray bottle, and by the time I grab the wash mitt the streaks wipe right off. Hit the streaks with a spray bottle and let it sit for about a minute. At a $1 a bottle at the dollar store you can't beat it. The stuff is "awesome". (sorry)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
This will take your black streaks off and leave a nice coat of wax behind

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Reliable RV cleaner quite a bit over the years to great effect. It ain't cheap but a little goes a long way. Wipes them right off. You should wax after but you don't have to.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
This is all I use. Love the stuff. Use with a pole brush.

Gel-Gloss RV Wash & Wax
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Will be trying the WD40 suggestion, I buy it by the gallon for the shop so have plenty on hand. My trailer always gets them on the front wall just about tailgate level.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Cold water Tide powder. Just add a 1/2 cup to a bucket of cold water, using a long handled car wash brush, soak the area, let sit for 10 minutes, reapply, let sit for a few more, then gently scrub with the car wash brush. Rinse and black streaks should be gone. I've used it for years. works great! Also, remember to wash your roof a few times a year to reduce the dirt that causes the black streaks. Use tide the same way.
2010 Suncruiser

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Ah yes, WD40 works well too. I forgot about that one. It also works well for removing tar splatters and anything oil related.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Black Streak Remover

What ever you use you'll end up removing any wax you may have on it, so just be sure to re-wax the area after cleaning.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
WD 40
al