cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New style entry steps

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like all the new trailers are being sold with the new style entry steps that fold up in the doorway opening. I was wonder what those who have them thought about the new style?
I was wondering if the dirt on the steps end up inside the trailer?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
38 REPLIES 38

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
our current TT has them. previous TT had old style fold up. no comparison in our opinion. we like them much better. very solid. never had a problem with being unlevel. small hand broom takes care of any dirt, and if its raining or wet. a towel drys them perfectly.

but as with most things, to each his own

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
Lantley wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
y'all can say what you want but . they are the best step I have used in an RV since I started camping close to 30 years ago....

It looks like people that have never used them are the most critical of them???

Tomato - Tomato

I am critical of them because I believe they are a bad idea. There are people who own them that don't realize the shortcomings of the steps until they already have them.
Some just assume because they are a new idea,they must be good without ever questioning how they operate.
I was initially interested in more stable steps. However I was immediately turned off by the debris scoop effect that occurs when you flip the stairs up into the trailer. To me that was an obvious flaw when I first saw them.
My next issues is they block the doorway. I keep my RV at home and often just sit things inside the door that need to go in the RV.
Having the doorway blocked by the steps looked like a hinderance vs. just opening the door a setting items inside.
I could see both of these shortcomings without actually owning the Mor Ryde steps
Now what I was not aware of, that actual owners have posted about is the issue of the steps keeping the door from closing when the patio is higher than the driveway. :S.
I have also read of those having doorway threshold issues as a result of the Mor Ryde steps attachment points.
I have Glow Steps by Torxlift they are just as stable as the Mor Ryde without any of the negatives.
For those that a are satisfied with there Mor Ryde steps you may find my comments invalid. For those considering Mor Ryde steps there are other options.
Those new fangled steps you see on the new RV's are not necessarily an improvement. Don't take my word for it. Examine them closely. and decide for yourself.

I apologize if you believe I was talking about you... I was not... It was a general statement... I realize that there are a lot of people who think they are a bad idea because they already know the limitations, thats fine..... then there are people that think they are a bad idea because they don't have them, or don't understand them..

All other reasons pro or con aside its the simple geometry I notice. Have a site than slopes up towards the door location and what happens when you do not have enough adjustment? Then your only option is to block up the trailer higher at the wheels. Problem more pronounced the further the door is from the running gear.

I guess if your always in concrete paved sites that are close to level and level sites as a rule. they might make sense. Where we go not so much. I've had plenty of sites where it took creative blocking or digging some holes to get the trailer level.

Lantley wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
y'all can say what you want but . they are the best step I have used in an RV since I started camping close to 30 years ago....

Tomato - Tomato

I am critical of them because I believe they are a bad idea. There are people who own them that don't realize the shortcomings of the steps until they already have them.
Some just assume because they are a new idea,they must be good without ever questioning how they operate.
I was initially interested in more stable steps. However I was immediately turned off by the debris scoop effect that occurs when you flip the stairs up into the trailer. To me that was an obvious flaw when I first saw them.
My next issues is they block the doorway. I keep my RV at home and often just sit things inside the door that need to go in the RV.
Having the doorway blocked by the steps looked like a hinderance vs. just opening the door a setting items inside.
I could see both of these shortcomings without actually owning the Mor Ryde steps
Now what I was not aware of, that actual owners have posted about is the issue of the steps keeping the door from closing when the patio is higher than the driveway. :S.
I have also read of those having doorway threshold issues as a result of the Mor Ryde steps attachment points.
I have Glow Steps by Torxlift they are just as stable as the Mor Ryde without any of the negatives.
For those that a are satisfied with there Mor Ryde steps you may find my comments invalid. For those considering Mor Ryde steps there are other options.
Those new fangled steps you see on the new RV's are not necessarily an improvement. Don't take my word for it. Examine them closely. and decide for yourself.

I apologize if you believe I was talking about you... I was not... It was a general statement... I realize that there are a lot of people who think they are a bad idea because they already know the limitations, thats fine..... then there are people that think they are a bad idea because they don't have them, or don't understand them..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ford truck guy wrote:

Tomato - Tomato

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was looking at the pro and cons for my particular application plus I was just curious why this seems like a industry wide application as it seems more new trailers are coming with them than not.

My wife is disabled so, she need the big entry bar to get into the trailer. The new steps are so much further out from the trailer I don't think she could even reach the entry bar. I did see that you can add a second entry bar to the new style steps but seems to complicate things. We also added carpets to the steps to prevent slipping. These tend to collect quite a bit of water when it's raining all that would end up in the trailer when folded up.

In my case the cons out weigh the pros....
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Tomato - Tomato
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
What amazing to me with the Mor Ryde steps is the idea that bringing a set of exterior steps into the living space is seen as a reasonable idea.
If I suggested you bring a set of exterior steps inside your home and store them, I don't think anyone would think that is a good idea.
But we seem to lose our rational judgement when it comes to RV's.
We also think placing the TV at a 90ยบ angle to the sofa is OK vs. putting the TV directly in front the the sofa like we do in our homes....our RV minds are very feeble at times!!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Addy15 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
has anybody considered having to make a quick emergency exit in case of fire etc. with the steps in/up?
bumpy

The steps would never be in/up if you are inside the trailer.

so you pull into a rest stop, have to quickly deploy steps to park and enter RV, then have to lift up steps and close door??????
bumpy

Lifting steps up and down to use them is really not all that different than pulling/pushing them in and out from below the door. I've done both. You don't pull the steps in with you when you go in the trailer. We really like the solid steps. The problem of debris getting in the trailer when putting them in is very easily solved with a little sweeping before stowing them. I don't find that a problem at all.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
some trailers have one door.like mine.
of course if I had a second door, it might be located on the bathroom wall so we could all pass thru there entering and exiting.
bumpy
Yeah, I've seen some of those, and they just seem kind of weird. I guess they could be handy: not having to go through the trailer to get to the restroom, but I don't think I'd care for it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Addy15 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
has anybody considered having to make a quick emergency exit in case of fire etc. with the steps in/up?
bumpy

Some trailers have two doors, like mine.

some trailers have one door.like mine.
of course if I had a second door, it might be located on the bathroom wall so we could all pass thru there entering and exiting.
bumpy

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Addy15 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Some trailers have two doors, like mine.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Addy15 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

so you pull into a rest stop, have to quickly deploy steps to park and enter RV, then have to lift up steps and close door??????
bumpy

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

I do not think they are in motorhomes..... I have only seen them in trailers.... AND if used in a trailer, they would not be UP while people are in the RV . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7