Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100 amp service

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
If we sell this place in a year or two, we may trade for a much nicer MH
We have been checking them out when we can.
How hard is it to find RV Resorts or Parks that have two plug ins for a 100 amp service, or parks willing to rent 2 adjacent lots so you can use two towers? I'm not sure we would want to do that more than once or twice.
Or..do you just run the generator when you can't find or arrange 100 amp service?
42 REPLIES 42

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
30 amp is 30 amp. 50 amp is two legs of fifty amps and a common ground not 100 amps total.

30 amp service gives the RV owner a total of 30 amp to use (OK less but let's not get hung up on details). A 50 amp coach gives the RV owner a total of 100 amps to use (split between 2 separate circuits). That's a HUGE difference.
If someone was actually looking at a 100 amp coach that would be 4 50 amp circuits but some would likely be setup to provide a 240V circuit for certain appliances. This is not typical in most RV's.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
30a = 3600 watts
50a = 12000 watts

I assume 100 amps would be 24000 watts

My home is 200 amps and 48000 watts

Too bad 3-phase service is not really available to retail consumers. 3-phase motors run so much better without start issues etc.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
30 amp is 30 amp. 50 amp is two legs of fifty amps and a common ground not 100 amps total.

Depends on AT WHAT VOLTAGE.

Indeed 50 amp RV service is 100 amps @ 120 VAC. 50 amps @ 240 VAC.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:

Well, 30 amp is really not 30 amp either. You get close to that and you will pop a breaker or the system will start shedding if it has that capability.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
The way the RV industry has historically listed electric service size is very misleading to the average person. Any new person (and probably most experienced RVers) is going to automatically assume a 30A service is 3/5 as much as a 50A service.

The problem is the voltage is not listed right after it. Reading it like 30A @ 120V vs. 50A @ 240V is much more clear but I guess that takes to long to read and write.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Bill, we cannot tap into the battery bank when on shore or generator power. The choices are shore, genny or inverting.

With the engine running, I will run an air or two as we have four alternators. But, the genny needs exercise and why not run that baby! At 4.5 yrs. of ownership, we have about 380 hrs. on it.

On the new Liberty's, my understanding that the power sources can be shared if needed. The new ones have the Volta Lithium Ion system which allowed them to reduce the size of the genny to a 12.5K Onan.

Safe travels!
MM.
Mr.Mark

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I still think you are confusing 50 amp coaches (which can utilize 100 amps) with a 100 amp coach (2 separate 50 amp cords). Unless the coach had 4-5 AC's on the roof and/or 240 cooktop(s) there would not be a need for a 100 amp coach.
Even Mr Marks' new 2 million dollar Prevost uses 50 amp shore power. If he runs his generator (or inverters from battery) he can utilize additional power but it would still be considered a 50 amp coach.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Wife says she thinks the Liberty coach was one had two cords.

I'm going to ask Liberty as I've never seen two 50 amp cords and I've looked at a lot of their coaches.

We do have a second cord that comes with the coach that I can connect to a socket at the passenger side rear in the event the shore cord on the driver's side is not working. It is a fairly long cord so it would be heavy to maneuver.

Our regular shore cord is very long (75 feet) so I 'could' connect where ever the 50 amp plug is located.

I'm not sure the reason why a regular full size electric coach would need a second cord unless there was a very special electrical device needing a lot of power.

I can run all four air units (13,500 btu) if I have good power at the pole. I have done that before on a very hot day but I was near the max on amps (about 85 amps). Some converters will put four 15,000 btu roof units which will be difficult to run all at the same time. Liberty has designed the ceiling venting to have no hard turns and run quiet and efficiently. You can certainly hear the air units but the volume of air coming out is amazing. Normally, 2 air units running is fine and 3 will freeze you out, 4 is really over-kill. But, its good to have redundancy.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
down home wrote:

I have no doubt they exist but they will certainly also be configurable to run with a single 50 amp 240 service. I wouldn’t worry about finding dual 50 amp sites. Just enjoy the journey and adapt.

I do think dual 50 amp sites will become more common as on site EV charging will become in demand. EV tow vehicles and small motorhomes will become more common in the next decade or two and there will be a market for campgrounds that provide on site charging.

Cheers.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We've looked at several coaches and two or three or so of them did. We didn't just look at coaches based on whether they were 100 amp coaches or not. Don't ask me the year of mfg but they were not more than a couple years old. Which ones I don't remember.
The coaches I posted were not the only coaches we looked at just a few that I remember.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
Nothing to reply. Listening to answers, trying to figure out how hard it might be to find RV Parks/Resorts with 100 amp service. I hadn't thought about load center, perhaps shedding some load, if only one 50 amp is available, like our 50 amp does when on 30 amp pedestal.
We don't have that coach yet. As I said two years or so down the road, Lord willing. Don't know which coach builder or anything. Looked at some fellow RVers Newmars,a Marathon Coach, Liberty, I think and a couple of others brands.

None of the coaches you list need 100 amp service so we are all curious what coach you might be looking at that does need 100 amp service.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing to reply. Listening to answers, trying to figure out how hard it might be to find RV Parks/Resorts with 100 amp service. I hadn't thought about load center, perhaps shedding some load, if only one 50 amp is available, like our 50 amp does when on 30 amp pedestal.
We don't have that coach yet. As I said two years or so down the road, Lord willing. Don't know which coach builder or anything. Looked at some fellow RVers Newmars,a Marathon Coach, Liberty, I think and a couple of others brands.