cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running your propane Refrigerators while fueling?

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Today I had an experience that should make you think twice about leaving a propane Refrigerator running while fueling.

I was at a Sam's Club when the car next to me had a large hole develop in the gas line between the pump and the car.

The lady pumping the gas did not know what to do. The attendant noticed the problem when the lady started yelling and shut things down.

But before he got it shut down there was gasoline all over everything and possibly a couple gallons on the ground.

There was a very strong gas smell many yards from the accident.
41 REPLIES 41

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
I was at a Sam's Club when the car next to me had a large hole develop in the gas line between the pump and the car.

But before he got it shut down there was gasoline all over everything and possibly a couple gallons on the ground.

There was a very strong gas smell many yards from the accident.

I'm still trying to figure out why a "large hole" developed between the pump and the car?

Just how can that happen? Gas hoses are multi layer hoses. They are extremely well built hoses.

On top of that, there is almost no pressure in the system. The hole in the nozzle is too big to build pressure.

The whole thing sounds suspect to me? :h
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

JusBud
Explorer
Explorer
I leave my truck running why fueling too
I think everyone watching too many Rambo movies

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I'm talking around the Coeur d'Alene area. It is beautiful here! I enjoy it for sure. But I know there's beauty to be had all over this country and am hoping to have a shot at it one of these day. When I do, I'll probably leave the propane on. 🙂
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
Smoking while fueling seems to be a popular sport here in north Idaho.

Beautiful country. How far north are you talking? Have spent a fair amount of time over the years around Priest River.
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
If you are old enough to remember when smoking was very popular, filling your car. lawn mower, 5 gallon fuel carboy, chain saw etc. With a cigarette dangling from you mouth was common.

Was it smart? probably not.
Was it safe? probably not.
Did it cause numerous explosions and gas pump fires? No.
Did anyone care or give it a second thought? Not really.

Turning your propane off certainly cannot hurt but most folk do not feel it is an issue.
Fast forward to today.
You are not supposed to use a cell phone around a gas pump...
Everyone does it.
They must have seen the Mythbusters show where they tried to create an explosion with a cell phone and gas.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
If you are old enough to remember when smoking was very popular, filling your car. lawn mower, 5 gallon fuel carboy, chain saw etc. With a cigarette dangling from you mouth was common.

Was it smart? probably not.
Was it safe? probably not.
Did it cause numerous explosions and gas pump fires? No.
Did anyone care or give it a second thought? Not really.

Turning your propane off certainly cannot hurt but most folk do not feel it is an issue.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
So I have been thinking:
I am on the road in a unfamalier location. I need fuel. I am looking for an station that is easy in and out, and able to accomodate my large lashup. (36'+ my longbed crew cab) I see one, but cannot pull in, as I gotta find a safe place with easy access and probably a turnaround, so I can turn off the propane. That could take some time and miles to find. Then after accomplishing that, I can go back to the station and refuel... And now I have to stop again at a safe place to turn the propane back on. IF I AM LUCKY, I may be able to use the same place I turned it off at.... But that may mot be possible for a variety of reasons. This simple refueling process could take an hour or more.. Sounds like fun.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

paddywanpeep
Explorer
Explorer
People will keep doing what they have been doing and I doubt that anything on this forum will change that. You have to decide for yourself what you want to do to feel comfortable with.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Smoking while fueling seems to be a popular sport here in north Idaho.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I pumped gas and drove tow trucks for awhile and I saw a couple accidental spills and gas vapor formed rapidly.

Would you smoke a cigarette while pumping gas? Why would you think it is okay to have a fridge burning propane? The probability of a spill and accident is low, but leaving the fridge on puts others at risk. I would encourage folks to please take a moment and shut it down when fueling.

Take it easy,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

caver
Nomad
Nomad
I'm more concerned about eating lettuce at a fast food joint. 🙂

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Almost every RV I have had. Had the fridge on the opposite side of the RV from the gas fill port. Just like the engine exhaust pipe. Heck even cars are made that way.

Only my dual exhaust gas class A was an exception.

Could there an issue if the fridge was really malfunctioning? Yes maybe.

In my part of Wisconsin. Next to Lake Wisconsin. You have to put gas containers on the ground while filling. Why not?
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Yet another advantage of a residential fridge.

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
Link? I always hear this type of story, but I don't think I've ever seen it actually corroborated.

I wish I could provide a link; I actually looked before posting this because I knew folks might be skeptical or dismissive. But this happened sometime, to the best of my recollection, between 1999 and 2003. It was in Wythe County, VA at a station off an exit ramp of I-81. "Googling" what I know only turns up some more recent unfortunate gas station incidents in Virginia, but these are not RV related. I was working at the time with two of the firefighters who worked this incident, who I trust completely, and I remember reading for myself the news accounts of this event when it happened and then a little later when the unfortunate gentleman died. I also remember that this whole scenario was being debated here on RV.net even back then, and it caught my attention because I thought to myself, "Well, that proves it can happen". I am not sure there are links to the average news stories at the beginning of the century; maybe someone slicker than I am can find it in an archive of the local paper, The Roanoke Times?.

Vapor density (gasoline vapor being heavier than air) is only part of the equation; who among us hasn't smelled gasoline vapor while standing at full height at some time in their life? Anyone who has been in emergency services for a while will tell you that most catastrophic incidents don't have one single direct cause; there is usually a whole series or chain of events that lead to an incident. I certainly don't want to be one of the contributing factors in the injury or death of someone else, especially if I know better and can do something to prevent that possibility. I understand that others may not see the risk as significant enough to worry about, but I do.

Safe travels, all!
Regan
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.