cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motor homes and earth quakes.

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed for Bakersfield with our 40 ft. Newmar in a few days and they have experienced some strong quakes in that are in the past couple days. Has anyone had any experience with earth quakes?
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
40 REPLIES 40

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
2bzy2c wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
An earthquake can break and/or bend your jacks up. If you don't have them down the only think you have to fear is the ground opening up and swallowing you, or something like a tree or building falling on you.

Not sure about the above statement. Seems a bit "out there".

Had a relative who lived in Napa and the earthquake there destroyed their jacks. I saw the pictures!

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
An earthquake can break and/or bend your jacks up. If you don't have them down the only thing you have to fear is the ground opening up and swallowing you,.

Really,, How do you decide to put them down at night or not?

Well if you're in Ridgecrest may want to keep them up for a while.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

dedmiston
2bzy2c wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
An earthquake can break and/or bend your jacks up. If you don't have them down the only think you have to fear is the ground opening up and swallowing you, or something like a tree or building falling on you.

I agree.

I was driving my pickup during the '94 Northridge earthquake. It was the wee hours of the morning and I was driving to a meeting up in Bakersfield. I was on the SB 14 just one exit before where the overpass collapsed and the Highway Patrolman was killed.

Driving over a collapsed overpass or a badly damaged bridge (or being underneath either of those) would be the extreme end of the spectrum. Anything short of that, a vehicle is one of the safest places to be. It just felt like heavy winds to me.

Don't let possible aftershocks affect your trip. We camp out near Ridgecrest and Trona (the recent epicenter) at least once a month in the fall through spring, but I wouldn't head out there on purpose right now, more because of the heat than because of any aftershocks.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Fleetwood99
Explorer
Explorer
Earthquakes don't kill people...falling objects kill/injury people.
99 Fleetwood Vision 36Zulu V10 Gas F53 Chassis
Hyd Leveling man/keypad (Powergear)
Electric Slideouts (Powergear) x2
2005' 4020 Fadal 4Axis CNC Mill w/24Datc
Hendy 16x72" WWII Navy Lathe 1800RPM

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The stuff of hollywood fiction, the movement on the fault lines is parallel, and if there is a crack it will only be maybe a foot and a half wide and maybe a cuple of feet deep, this nonensence of being swallowed by a crack is holywood fiction, not in California, on subduction plates yes it can happen but not on slipfaults.

You guys are to traumatized by the quake, they are actually fun to feel, I much rather be in a quake than a hurricane 'been in one" or a tornado.

navegator

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
An earthquake can break and/or bend your jacks up. If you don't have them down the only thing you have to fear is the ground opening up and swallowing you,.

Really,, How do you decide to put them down at night or not?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

MrWizard
Non essential traffic in the affected area, that might be a problem

It's in the middle of the Mojave desert, one reporter said the middle of no where

The quake epicenter is on a military base, weapons test range in that desert

It's over 100 miles from L.A. And nearly that far from any other metro area
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
If the worst is past is one thing, but do we know it is over? Why go to where you could become another burden to a damaged infrastructure?

With floods, tornados, hurricanes and earthquakes, if we thought like that our RV's would never leave the driveway.

In my defense, the reason I give this a thought is experience. Hauling a load of supplies into disaster areas for Red Cross, I give some thought to how I can reduce the odds my name shows up on a victim list. For example, I carry plenty of food/water for myself, and make sure I have fuel to get out of area.

GHOST1750 wrote:

We are going because we need to attend a funeral of a family member, otherwise forget it. Be there a couple days.

Sorry for your loss.

MrWizard wrote:
he didn't say he was going to Ridgecrest or Trona

only that he was coming to Southern Calif from the Northern end of the state

he would not be burdening the infrastructure there at earthquake epicenter

Well, I'm not real well educated, but it is my understanding that some of the fault lines run for many miles. And some places have said there is a possibility the recent quakes may have added stress to other fault lines. Say one bridge is closed, traffic diverted to others. Any non-essential traffic is going to add non-essential stress to infrastructure.

MrWizard
he didn't say he was going to Ridgecrest or Trona

only that he was coming to Southern Calif from the Northern end of the state

he would not be burdening the infrastructure there at earthquake epicenter
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
If the worst is past is one thing, but do we know it is over? Why go to where you could become another burden to a damaged infrastructure?

We are going because we need to attend a funeral of a family member, otherwise forget it. Be there a couple days.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

With floods, tornados, hurricanes and earthquakes, if we thought like that our RV's would never leave the driveway.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II