cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you get a decent browser on Windows XP?

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
I'm doing some MUCH overdue electronics purging. We have two laptops running Windows XP that I would like to donate to a local charity.

They actually run pretty well except for internet access. The only browser I've found that will still even run on XP is an old version of Internet Explorer. Older Firefox and Chrome browsers that used to work on the machines don't work anymore, as Windows XP is no longer supported by them.

Only a very small handfull of sites can be accessed using the old Internet Explorer and of course, you can't upgrade it.

I Googled and found mention of a few unknown browsers that are supposed to be compatible with XP, but they wouldn't even install.

Is anyone here actually still using Windows XP with a browser that will access most online sites?
52 REPLIES 52

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked to see if the OP was still reading this topic. He got what he wanted just after he posted originally early last July and hasn't commented since. There's a lot of good information here and some not so much but the topic seems to have a life of its own. Why beat a dead horse?
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:

Sure.
Yes.
You're right!
There's OS/2 out there!

But show me ONE corporation that says "Oh, we're happy to be on XP in 2020! We're thrilled."

No it's because they're stuck - they can't (or won't) recode.

XP (like any operating system) still has a number of open holes. Exploits never closed, never fixed.

If a company wants backwards compatibility, I'd pick UN*X over Winders in a heartbeat. Even some of the Motif apps I wrote in the early 90's still run on Linux. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Only reason not 'thrilled' is because of MS pretty much forcing Windows 10 whether you want it or not. Backwards compatibility has never been a strong part of MS products. They want their cash flow! There are tons of exploits in Windows 10 as well. Patches are released constantly just like prior OS's. Many of those are inherit to Windows 10, not XP. Hackers aren't targeting XP much I would assume!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
pconroy328 wrote:
Computers are the only things, as far as I can tell, that can still perform their original functions flawlessly but become worthless overtime.

XP is still used by quite a few companies for specialized applications. Companies invested millions of $'s and labor to develop custom software for XP. When MS comes out with new OS's that are not fully backwards compatible it is painful for these companies to start all over again. Of course this doesn't affect the casual home or office user so few realize the significance of such problems.

I have a multitude on PC's running every OS including good old DOS! One runs native XP, another running XP under HyperV on Windows 10. Working on redeveloping software but it will take time.

Sure.
Yes.
You're right!
There's OS/2 out there!

But show me ONE corporation that says "Oh, we're happy to be on XP in 2020! We're thrilled."

No it's because they're stuck - they can't (or won't) recode.

XP (like any operating system) still has a number of open holes. Exploits never closed, never fixed.

If a company wants backwards compatibility, I'd pick UN*X over Winders in a heartbeat. Even some of the Motif apps I wrote in the early 90's still run on Linux. ๐Ÿ˜‰

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Running XP is fine on machines behind corporate firewalls, watched over by IT experts, or for computer geeks who know what they're doing, but for the average Joe to do his banking and bill paying, not to mention surfing those "questionable" sites?

Key to that is 'Know what you are doing'. I agree with that but the more they make Windows idiot proof the more difficult it is for those of us who do, to make it do what we want. Custom settings buried deep or removed completely etc. Windows 10 is more difficult from an IT standpoint than XP was for managing dozens of PC's. MS programs such as Office are clunky and buggy. Worse with each update. Younger IT staff won't know the difference though.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
There is information in this recent article about the end of support for Windows 7 that also apply to Windows XP.

https://askleo.com/how-to-keep-using-windows-7-safely-after-support-ends/
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I quit using XP when Windows 7 came out because I was gaming at the time, and games ran better with the hardware available to Windows 7 machines.

But after reading quite a bit about the "dangers" of XP, I do wonder if the danger isn't maybe overdone a bit. One of the first stories I read was from 2014 when they said XP, wasn't immediately dangerous to use, but it would be in the near future. Now it's 6 years later and except for the issue with Internet Explorer, not actually XP, there have been no horror stories about XP usage.

So much of us depend on other sources to keep us informed, and if those sources are biased a bit we have few fact checking places to check. Most computer services and computer businesses are served well by people buying new machines, and probably prefer the old stuff disappear.

Maybe they're like Apple: "Newer is best, old is bad, buy new this year so you don't get left behind".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
pconroy328 wrote:
Computers are the only things, as far as I can tell, that can still perform their original functions flawlessly but become worthless overtime.

XP is still used by quite a few companies for specialized applications. Companies invested millions of $'s and labor to develop custom software for XP. When MS comes out with new OS's that are not fully backwards compatible it is painful for these companies to start all over again. Of course this doesn't affect the casual home or office user so few realize the significance of such problems.

I have a multitude on PC's running every OS including good old DOS! One runs native XP, another running XP under HyperV on Windows 10. Working on redeveloping software but it will take time.

Running XP is fine on machines behind corporate firewalls, watched over by IT experts, or for computer geeks who know what they're doing, but for the average Joe to do his banking and bill paying, not to mention surfing those "questionable" sites?

Nope. It's a disaster in the making.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
You have an OS?? Luxury!!

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said- its old, hardware not comparable with newer OS, slow, etc... You dont need to 'throw it out' but save it for when they have electronic recycling day in your area and take it there.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP - don't continue to use XP and the Internet. You put yourself and others at risk.

Ever since I tossed my 486/33MHz system in the trash, a system I paid $3500 for in the lat 80's, I've wrapped my head around this tenet:

That 486/33 machine was working as well in 1998 as it did in 1989. But it was *worthless*.

No charity wants an old laptop.
IDE drives that aren't supported.
A BIOS that can't boot from USB.
A screen that maxes out at 1024x768.
A power supply that sucks 90 watts.

For $5, I can buy a Raspberry Pi Zero W that kicks an old laptop's b*tt by every measure. If I wanna splurge, I'll pop $35.

I hate throwing away old hardware. It pains me.
But those things become worthless - $0.00 or worse.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Brave browser says XP not supported. UC Browser is supported on XP but I've never used it.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using Brave browser quite a while now on Windows 10. I don't know if XP will support it, but thought I'd mention it, anyway. I'm pretty sure you'd like it if you tried it.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I don't mean to be a fearmonger, but it is a fact that an older, unsupported OS is going to be more likely to be attacked. Different from an emailed virus, or some such thing.

True but as there are few people still running XP, hackers aren't bothering to target it much. I'm not suggesting people go out and find an XP PC. I'm saying if you have one and can't afford anything else it can perform quite a few tasks with ease. If security is an issue have an IT friend update it. There have been security updates as late as last year. I'm more worried about Microsoft updates hosing my Windows 10 PC!! lol