cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old TT Inverter/Power supply

J_A_C
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everybody Im new to the forum, not sure if this is the right place to post this question but like I said Im new and I try to learn where to post my questions as I come in here. Thank you.

I have an old inverter/Power supply (might be from the 80')in my garage, been there for long time dont even remember where I got it.
My question is:
Im trying to use it as a battery charger around the house for my car batteries and to charge the deep cycle battery on my trailer before going on a trip.
The problem I have is that the inverter/power supply has couple connections and I want to use the right one.
-It has two 20A connections for load. I know those are to power things.

-It has one connection for car battery
-It has one connection for trailer battery

I want to know if there is any difference on the car battery connection and the trailer battery connection. or I can use any of those to charge my batteries.

Thank you

How can I add a picture?
4 REPLIES 4

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Does this device have a name and model number? Might help to know what you are referring to.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Those had, at most, a 3 amp charger. I’m afraid they are better for oartin* out than using.
-- Chris Bryant

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
As far as photo posting try this
photo

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.

If this unit is from the 80s, it more than likely has bad capacitors, and is dangerous to use, either to the battery or to the operator. Consider investing in a new converter, a good quality new unit will work much better.

Having two battery connections sounds like it's from a motorhome rather than a trailer, so one output for chassis battery (engine) and one for house battery. Not sure why they would be labeled car battery and trailer battery, that's just odd.

Use a volt meter to see what the readings are on each output. Choosing the wrong one won't likely do anything bad right away.

The issues could be the output voltage is too low, or too high depending on what chemistry of battery it is expecting to be connected, resulting in a undercharged battery or an overcharged and boiled dry battery.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed