cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Researching Generators

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
This past year I have found myself enjoying our earth away from campgrounds. I’m not ready to go full-bore with no power. What is a decently priced generator that balances cost with power with low noise? How many KWs will I need to run my “necessities” such as fridge, air/furnace, and other items?
Thanks for your help. VERY green to this part of camping.
Brian
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!
23 REPLIES 23

map40
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 Predator 3500 and 2 ryobi 2200. You can connect any of them in parallel in any configuration. Even more than 2. I can run a 50 amp coach, no problem. I can even hot swap to refuel.
The predators have the extended warranty from HF, so when my first pair got to 1 year 11 month I just walked in with the two of them and they gave me two brand new ones, no questions asked. I bought the extended warranty again.
Just to be clear, although it sounds shady, THIS IS WHAT THE STORE MANAGERS FROM TWO HF STORES TOLD ME TO DO.
When I went to exchange them, I just strolled in with the two of them and the cashier asked me "Two new ones, right?"
Doesn't get much better than that...
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
WrightOn wrote:
This past year I have found myself enjoying our earth away from campgrounds. I’m not ready to go full-bore with no power. What is a decently priced generator that balances cost with power with low noise? How many KWs will I need to run my “necessities” such as fridge, air/furnace, and other items?
Thanks for your help. VERY green to this part of camping.
Brian

You might also post (not a duplicate) in the *Tech Issues* forum -
which is a good choice for everything/anything "Generator".

Try searches there also - for various brands, models ,etc. - lots of discussions and info.

:W

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Install 200w solar and get a 3.5K genset and enjoy...
The older we get, the faster we go

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I have had many portable generators and the best advice I ever got about which one to buy was, "Go camping where you don't need one". Easy and fun to set up solar and batteries as long as air conditioning is not needed.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
WrightOn wrote:
Thank you for the responses. I've looked at the Champion 3500 dual fuel and like it thus far.

If you are planning on running it off the your LP tanks, it run them down quickly. Did you watch that video I linked ? I know it was a Predator, but that Champion is going to weigh about as much. At my age, I could not hoist one of those up into the bed of a pickup !

WrightOn wrote:
That got me thinking, can I run the AC via the generator and run the refrigerator off the inverter like I do when traveling?

Not without some significant rewiring.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
There's initial price and there's overall value. I prefer the latter.
No experience with Champion generators, but provided they're good, you can buy a lightly used Hinda for about the same $. Beyond that, cheap is cheap. Period. Will a Horribke Freight generator work for 2 weeks or 2 years? Probably?
Will a Honda work for 20 years with nothing but fresh gas and oil changes? Yup.

Consider this in your purchase when balancing your financial situation with your expectations.
Another consideration is residual value. A new $1000 Honda 2k or a low hours used one for $700 or so is still a $5-700 generator years down the road if you want or need to sell it.

I've seen some of the little Honda 2k gennys at work with upwards of 1000hiirs on them and they never get an oil change. Typically run until someone pulls the cord out of it after trying to start it on low oil shutdown, cord fixed, oil added, run some more. the ones that don't last us that long are because they get stolen, submergerd or smashed.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My 3400 watt Champion with remote start is a fuel sipper in my opinion. It has absolutely no problem starting the A/C. It's heavy no doubt, but that's an asset too. Less likely to walk away in any hurry. The remote start is a very popular feature with my wife.

I considered the dual fuel, but ultimately decided against it since gasoline provides more power, is easier to come by, and dual fuel units don't have remote start.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The 3500 when running on gasoline could start and run both the air conditioner and the fridge. On propane, (which for me is hard to come by) I doubt that both could be started. I'd advise you to do gas, and remote electric start.

If you need the roof air it may be better to find an inexpensive campground at the link below--or similar searches:

https://freecampsites.net/

WrightOn wrote:
Thank you for the responses. I've looked at the Champion 3500 dual fuel and like it thus far. In my reading, many state that the 15k AC unit can be run with lights. No one has indicated that the AC and refrigerator can run at the same time (I have a commercial home fridge). That got me thinking, can I run the AC via the generator and run the refrigerator off the inverter like I do when traveling?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Westinghouse 2500. I needed to install a softstart on the AC to run 15k AC while on generator. It sips fuel, spins down to ultra low fuel usage when not needed.

3500 generators are heavy, and use a lot more fuel. My wife can pick up and start the 2500 by herself. I'd go with two 2000/2500 before purchasing a 3500

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You must remember that the batteries need to be recharged via either a converter or an inverter charger. This could be a large draw from the genset.
Verify the noise level from the Champion genset.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the responses. I've looked at the Champion 3500 dual fuel and like it thus far. In my reading, many state that the 15k AC unit can be run with lights. No one has indicated that the AC and refrigerator can run at the same time (I have a commercial home fridge). That got me thinking, can I run the AC via the generator and run the refrigerator off the inverter like I do when traveling?
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor Freight's Predator generator is the most generator for the cheapest price. However, they carry only a 90 day warranty and you will not find any repair shop that will work on one or even repair parts available. Therefore, consider them disposable.

Champion generators have a solid reputation with a support network of repair facilities and available parts. They are very favorably priced, and probably the best bang for your buck.

Honda and Yamaha are premium generators with a price to match. Either would probably last a lifetime, but pricewise do not deliver a value.

The previous suggestion of buying two inverter generators in the 2000 watt range and tieing them together when needed to run the A/C is a good one. That way, you can use just one generator if needed, but two when the extra wattage is required. Also the two generators delivers managable weight, and you can purchase one a time making it easier on the budget.