cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reliability of new 2015 6.7 powerstroke or Cummins Diesel

djg
Explorer
Explorer
Just Wondering what the reliability of newer diesels are as I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a new or slightly used truck Ford or Dodge. My old 95 runs good 7.3 diesel but you are always wondering if it is going to break down 2000 miles from home then the cost could be just too much to sink into it and cost to bring it home is also a lot. Still out on buying maybe gas but I do like the way a diesel just goes up and down hills with literally no downshifting so diesel has been what I have been looking at so far.

Dave
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel
52 REPLIES 52

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
covered wagon wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
There have been no significant failures noted on the forums of 2015 and newer Fords or Rams. Or GM for that matter. If you find one of any well maintained, low mileage, and in good condition that fits your butt and pleases your eyes, then I think you could rest easy about buying it.

Best not to buy it unless it has new injectors. At 3-5 thousand bucks for a set they only good for 100 k miles because on a newer common rail fuel system your 10 times more likely to ruin an engine if one goes out and they aren't reliable past about 100k miles.
My buddys 2015 trucks both have over 300K delivering rv's. Not a problem except a leaking water hose and regular wear items. Not the first injector failure or engine problem.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
From what Iโ€™ve read the Ram only altered the optional H.O. 1000# torque version of the 6.7, and shortened the warranty...Other than for horsepower and torque wars, I have zero idea why anybody would want one but I suppose Americans are always ripe for marketing...

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know the 6.0 PSDs didnโ€™t do well if you didnโ€™t use them much. Basically, diesels do better if they are run a bit after coming up to operating temperature. Well, those that have a bunch of emission/turbo stuff.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
"Use all the time, or it will carbon up.

Is that a real fact, or myth?"

It's a myth. VVT's go through the same motions everytime you punch the skinny pedal as they do when the e brake works, except in reverse.
Using the exh brake will not do any more than just driving it to prevent the turbo vanes sticking.

Now that is true of butterfly valve exhaust brakes. If they remain static for alot of hours/miles, they could cake up and stick theoretically.

The Cummins VVT turbo uses a sliding ring for the exhaust brake. I use mine every time I drive the truck. That is the rings only function, to that point even in the Fords and GM, why not use it all the time to save on your service brakes.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 tons wrote:
According to TCM, for 2020 Ford has โ€˜quietlyโ€™ done yet another diesel redesign (block, heads, injection, etc) their 6.7 Diesel...Huh?? Seems that each generation is fairly short lived - why is this??...Dealer service depts must spend lots of time doing re-training...Nice trucks no doubt, but every since it was reported that they have to remove the cab to work on the engine, not really my cup of tea...

I donโ€™t think TCM would generally be considered a top source for Fords, but any way. They take the cab off because itโ€™s actually smarter. Itโ€™s designed to come off. If you do some research, youโ€™d know that itโ€™s actually only 45 minutes for an experienced Ford mechanic to lift the cab out of the way. That makes easy access to almost impossible to reach items otherwise. Unless you compare on/off timings of several jobs, you really donโ€™t know anything about why taking the cab off makes sense.

If youโ€™ve been following along, Ford will be introducing a total redesign 7.3 gasoline n 2020. GM has a redesign of the diesel and gasoline engines, and Ram just redesigned their 6.7 for 2019.

As far as DEF generation goes, itโ€™s certainly better than the other heavily modified engines to improve emissions, but still not anywhere close to as troublefree as the engines without the DPF or the DEF/DPF combination.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:

I very much prefer the uber minor inconvenience of DEF...

I agree. I skipped that whole generation between 2006 and 2015. I waited until Def was proven (but my 15 did get recalled for exhaust parts replacement.

running from central FL to Central PA round trip I use around 2.5 gallons of DEF running 70 mph towing 14' box trailer. that is not even a penny per mile
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
According to TCM, for 2020 Ford has โ€˜quietlyโ€™ done yet another diesel redesign (block, heads, injection, etc) their 6.7 Diesel...Huh?? Seems that each generation is fairly short lived - why is this??...Dealer service depts must spend lots of time doing re-training...Nice trucks no doubt, but every since it was reported that they have to remove the cab to work on the engine, not really my cup of tea...

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
had a 05 dodge dually 5.9 6 speed manual 500000 miles here are my costs I hit a deer at 250000 miles had to put in new tie rods and bumper and radiator. I replaced the water pump brakes and tires that is it
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
I am 'prolly one of the few who, despite my user name, has had a problem with t a Cummins. As such, I will NEVER recommend a dodge/ chrysler protect ever and will dissuade to anyone to never, ever purchase a product from them after they screwed me on my truck.

I have only 116K on my Cummins and it needs to be replaced to to their technician's ineptness that ruined my motor; the corporation will not take responsibility even with service records going back to 70K miles of trying to resolve... that said,

To the OP: RUN, do not walk, run away from the Dodge truck.

I believe the late 5.9โ€™s were bulletproof (dodge specโ€™d fuel lift pump issue already resolved), so I donโ€™t get your complaint with Cummins especially since by your own admission it was a technician's ineptness that caused your issue... My 2004 5.9 was amazing, as was my 2007.5 6.7 , though I did have first year (dodge specโ€™d) 6.7 bolt on emissions equip issues...In contrast, my 16. 6.7 has been trouble free thanks mostly to DEF treating the emissions chemically, primarily within the exhaust tract rather than underneath the hood via massive amounts of EGR...

I very much prefer the uber minor inconvenience of DEF...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
"Use all the time, or it will carbon up.

Is that a real fact, or myth?"

It's a myth. VVT's go through the same motions everytime you punch the skinny pedal as they do when the e brake works, except in reverse.
Using the exh brake will not do any more than just driving it to prevent the turbo vanes sticking.

Now that is true of butterfly valve exhaust brakes. If they remain static for alot of hours/miles, they could cake up and stick theoretically.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Totally understandable, based on how the corporation handled it, presuming that's the whole story (problem, not fixed, fixed wrong, not fixed, caused bigger issue, not covered).
You seem like a person who knows other people with vehicles with issues from time to time (we all do, right?) and cruises the web reading people's stories about their vehicles.
Unfortunately your issue is not mutually exclusive to Chrysler and you may expect to be upset at another manufacturer for a similar issue. Don't be overly optimistic about other mfgs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
The issues started back years ago well within the 100K warranty.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
d3500ram wrote:
I am 'prolly one of the few who, despite my user name, has had a problem with t a Cummins. As such, I will NEVER recommend a dodge/ chrysler protect ever and will dissuade to anyone to never, ever purchase a product from them after they screwed me on my truck.

I have only 116K on my Cummins and it needs to be replaced to to their technician's ineptness that ruined my motor; the corporation will not take responsibility even with service records going back to 70K miles of trying to resolve... that said,

You are complaining about a 15 year old truck with 116,000 mile with an issue that started about 44,000 miles? How old was the truck and what was the issue.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.