cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Decisions

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
Did to health reasons (husbands) have decided to sell the 5th wheel. Looking at class cs. Narrowed down to under 30 feet. Would prefer 27 or 28. Considering used. Looking at coachman leprechaun 260 d's or Thor Chateau 28z. Any recommendations,suggestions would be appreciated.
36 REPLIES 36

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
ron.dittmer wrote:
Gjac wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
Gjac wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
Hi Lucy,

Assuming your rig will be accommodating two adults and maybe a guest now and then, a B+ (no over-head sleeper) would be a wise choice. You give up a lot of storage, but you gain more in other ways.

As mag..... mentioned higher up, a used Phoenix Cruiser is a nice consideration, especially the ones made starting in 2004 as identified by having the integrated spare tire in back. If you like single beds, model 2551 and 2552 are nice choices but 2552 is near 28' long. If you must sleep together, consider models 2700 with walk-around double bed, or model 2350 or 2351 with rear corner double bed.
Those look like nice MH's. I was looking at the 2351D with two slides and a queen bed. The only down side is it only has 27 gal of FW. Not good if you dry camp.
Yikes....27 gallons of fresh water is way too little. Where did you get that number from? I can't find the specs on it.

Model 2351 with one slide out carries 45 gallons of fresh water, the tank is under the bed. Maybe the 2351D with the slide-out there shrinks the fresh water tank.

27 gallons (5 of them in the water heater) would not work at all for us. Our 2007 model 2350 carries 41 gallons total and it works well. We do exclusively boondock.
Hi Ron, it is on their web site. The 2351D is a nice layout, lots of room with the two slides and the queen bed. Most of the 24 ft Class C's with the full wall slides seem to have more FW at least 40 gals. The 2100 and 2400 also only had 26 gals of FW. Even their 2910D and 2910T which are 31 ft only have 36 gals which surprised me.
That is strange. Unlike the other models I click on, when I click on the 2351D floorplan, I don't get specs. I get a financing & credit feature. Oh well.
Their web site is not very user friendly you have to click on floor plans then Brochure on the left side, then brochure again in the middle under the picture of the PC, then scroll down until you see floor plans then specs.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
Gjac wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
Hi Lucy,

Assuming your rig will be accommodating two adults and maybe a guest now and then, a B+ (no over-head sleeper) would be a wise choice. You give up a lot of storage, but you gain more in other ways.

As mag..... mentioned higher up, a used Phoenix Cruiser is a nice consideration, especially the ones made starting in 2004 as identified by having the integrated spare tire in back. If you like single beds, model 2551 and 2552 are nice choices but 2552 is near 28' long. If you must sleep together, consider models 2700 with walk-around double bed, or model 2350 or 2351 with rear corner double bed.
Those look like nice MH's. I was looking at the 2351D with two slides and a queen bed. The only down side is it only has 27 gal of FW. Not good if you dry camp.
Yikes....27 gallons of fresh water is way too little. Where did you get that number from? I can't find the specs on it.

Model 2351 with one slide out carries 45 gallons of fresh water, the tank is under the bed. Maybe the 2351D with the slide-out there shrinks the fresh water tank.

27 gallons (5 of them in the water heater) would not work at all for us. Our 2007 model 2350 carries 41 gallons total and it works well. We do exclusively boondock.
Hi Ron, it is on their web site. The 2351D is a nice layout, lots of room with the two slides and the queen bed. Most of the 24 ft Class C's with the full wall slides seem to have more FW at least 40 gals. The 2100 and 2400 also only had 26 gals of FW. Even their 2910D and 2910T which are 31 ft only have 36 gals which surprised me.
That is strange. Unlike the other models I click on, when I click on the 2351D floorplan, I don't get specs. I get a financing & credit feature. Oh well.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
ron.dittmer wrote:
Gjac wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
Hi Lucy,

map40
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
lucy6194 wrote:
Thanks guys!! I can drive the 5th wheel have for years just can't back it up. I'm just looking for input as to which class c you'd suggest. Once again thanks for your help

Take a look at the newer Class C's that are built on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Winnebago Navion, and Holiday Rambler Prodigy are 2 that come to mind. There are others out there as well. We are seriously considering upgrading/downsizing to one of them.

They are great up until something needs fixing in the Mercedes part of it. At that point, it turns in a money pit and imposible to find where to service it.
I would go with the 28Z
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
Hi Lucy,

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
ron.dittmer wrote:
Hi Lucy,

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Lucy,

Sunseeker2007
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m a 55-year-old single woman and I struggle with fibromyalgia. I started with a 32โ€™ Sunseeker in 2007 and traded it in for a 2014 Coachmen Freelander. I liked the ease of driving a shorter rig and the backup camera was great too. But as I used for the last 5 years, I found the hookups to be literally painful. I traded it in just a couple of weeks ago and took it to a campground for the shakedown over the fourth. The placement of the wet bay is perfection. The waste master hose that came with it is terrific. The full view back up camera is amazing and the dual mirrors are wondrous. Between those features and the side view cameras, there isnโ€™t a blind spot anywhere. Finally, traveling is stress free and hookups are a breeze.

I also found driving it wasnโ€™t as hard as it used to be for that size of a rig.

Look around. Let yourself embrace all the potential. Fall in love.

On edit: I never changed my profile picture when o bought the Freelander - so thatโ€™s my first Sunseeker. Great memories.

Waco_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
lucy6194, To answer your question, I have a 2018 Leprechaun 26ds on a Chevy chassis. After a year and a half, and over 11,000 miles, I'm happy with this motor home. Quality seems good, I've have very few issues. The Chevy chassis handles extremely well, it's quiet and I feel no engine heat at all. Winds and passing trucks are no different than the 43 foot tag axle I use to own. I hope this helps.......Bruce
  • Bruce & Sandy
  • 07 Scepter 42PDQ SOLD
  • 2018 Coachmen Leprechaun 26DS Chevy

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
lucy6194 wrote:
Did to health reasons (husbands) have decided to sell the 5th wheel. Looking at class cs. Narrowed down to under 30 feet. Would prefer 27 or 28. Considering used. Looking at coachman leprechaun 260 d's or Thor Chateau 28z. Any recommendations,suggestions would be appreciated.

One thing I would consider is how well taken care of the used vehicle is. Leprechauns tend to be better built than Thors but if they haven't been maintained, then you have issues.

I like the Phoenix Cruisers myself. Finally bought a 2551 after years of searching used. They're extremely well built. It's about 27 feet but lives larger than most 30 footers. Has great closet space too. At 27 feet the Leprechaun 240 FS is a good plan with extra closet space too.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
You my want to post this in the class c forum.
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
And it can be hard to find an expert RV electronics/electrical systems fixer.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
More advanced electronics scares the pants of me.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2004 Tioga 26Q Class C fits our basic age 80 needs/wants. It is actually 27 feet long, has no slides to leak or give problems. It has "most of the comforts" of home but does require care in backing into campsites, handling on twisty mountain roads, and has stock Ford E-450 drive train and suspension. The rear springs are stiff and give a harsh ride on cupped interstate highways, I'm looking into Koni "FSD" type rear RV shocks to help soften the ride. We have never towed a vehicle or felt a continued need for it, not wanting awkward parking and backing, etc. Will rent a car if ever really needed. Our rear queen bed is east/west type with access on right and bottom sides only. We use two sleeping bags zipped together so don't have to "make" beds.
The 26Q model was discontinued in 2008 ( I think). It has a large rear cargo area with mounted spare tire and wheel. More recent rigs may have more advanced electronics and comfort features.
You might look into Phoenix Cruiser and Lazy Daze Class C's for best build quality and support.