Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Front Cap Fading
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Front Cap Fading

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

having said decals, I actually removed all mine and the unit actually looks better to me. I may, at some point have a laser cutter vinyl shop make some custom decals. I may.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

56Jeff

Way North Houston

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

after many hours or working on my camper, I got it painted and clear coated. I figured out you won't win against the fade, and you'll start to HATE your camper. I was very lucky and found a man to come out to my place and do it..

* This post was edited 07/05/19 08:27am by 56Jeff *

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two of mine have faded. Tried the Zep floor wax on one and while it looked good for a few months, it stated to flake off and looked awful. Had both painted with a base/clear coat automotive paint. Luckily they both went bad early on and after jumping through a few hoops the factories paid for the paint. Should run in the $1500-1800 range plus decals. This is the only long lasting cure.

B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

hawkeye-08

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2013 has the fading, had it in 2013, factory no help. I am in the process of using the 3M compounds to polish, it looks good now, still needs final polishing and waxing. I expect it will need to be done twice a year to keep it nice... I will eventually get it painted and be done with it.

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/19 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like you mine also has been stored inside while not in use. I would wax before every long trip and polish with compound if needed. After 19 years it was starting to show its age so I had a vinyl wrap placed on the front. Hasn't been on long enough to tell how it will hold up, but looks great for now.

dunerunnerjw

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a 2017 Genesis Supreme TH fifth wheel and use Gel-Coat Wash and Wax about twice a year. So far so good. Getting many "Topcoat" ads lately on my phone and computers.....not sure if that is as easy as advertised but .........

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Front Cap Fading
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS