cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Satellite

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Tailgator Portable satellite dish. It comes with 50 feet of coax. Is there any problem with going longer on the coax. I was thinking of going with 150 foot reel. I camp at times in one location where you have to get out from under the trees and 50 feet just is not enough...
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
9 REPLIES 9

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
DFord wrote:
Make sure it's rated for at least 3Mhz.

GHz ๐Ÿ™‚

I stand corrected! The cable has to be rated for the job it's intended to used for. 3Ghz!
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tailgater and have run 135โ€™, with connectors at 50โ€™ and one at 35โ€™. It worked fine for me. The tech at tailgater told me they say 50โ€™ because they have to be able to guarantee a HD signal. If SD is ok for you use it.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
I think RG 6 is the recommended grade.
Yes, except for 150' may not work well. And there's different grades, and may want the solid copper center conductor, quad shield. Solid copper center conductor (not copper clad steel) may be what you want if you have a dish with a motor and/or an amp at the dish and don't get the aluminum shielded stuff.

For long runs like 150' you'd probably need RG11 but it's thicker and a lot stiffer and probably don't want it unless needed for sure due to signal loss. RG11 isn't cheap either for the good stuff and you probably want to order it with the connectors pre-installed

Note that it is best to avoid using a connector to join two or more sections of coax, esp. if joining RG6 & RG11 and when long runs are involved. Best thing is one single length of coax from dish to the RV. Do you know if the coax in your RV is RG6 or RG59?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I think RG 6 is the recommended grade.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use 75' of quad-shield (single piece) coax with a Pathway X2 all the time with good results. I had to bypass the internal RV coax setup because of its poor quality cabling and connections, though. With the single-cable automatic antennas, it's a matter of control voltage drop and signal loss - both of which happen with poor quality coax and/or very long runs.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using 150' on a reel, no breaks in the run. Good quality coax and it'll work.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
Make sure it's rated for at least 3Mhz.

GHz ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a reciever powered antenna, anything over 50', you start having problems. If you have a seperate 12 volt power supply, you should be good.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure it's rated for at least 3Ghz.

(on edit, corrected to show 3Ghz instead of 3Mhz)
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System