cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Encryption software

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
A website that I have to use regularly has changed their encryption requirements. They now require TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2. My laptop computer, that I am using for this website, has Windows 7, SP1 with SSL encryption.
According to the support bulletin that I downloaded, it appears that I have to manually update the registry to enable TLS encryption. The bulletin refers to an "easy fix" install but I am having trouble finding it. I hate to change the registry manually if there is an "easy fix" out there. Any suggestions on how I find the easy fix?
7 REPLIES 7

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
We went through this a few years ago at the bank I used to work at. Everybody was freaking out because their websites were all dropping support for 1.0 and 1.1. Everything worked just fine.

Is the website you are using doing something with MS Office or Sharepoint? That's what the setting have to be changed for.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
What version of windows are you using:

Win 7 update

Configure browsers

Configure Win 7
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Campfire Time wrote:
You should have gotten an update that enables TLS 1.2 through Windows updates. So no need to do anything. TLS 1.1 will no longer be supported by any of the major browsers soon, so your website is already behind the times if they are still supporting it.

Ditto just update Windows and your browser
Everything I read says

"This update requires that the Secure Channel (Schannel) component in Windows 7 be configured to support TLS 1.1 and 1.2. As these protocol versions are not enabled by default in Windows 7, you must configure the registry settings to ensure Office applications can successfully use TLS 1.1 and 1.2."

This is from MS website.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Make sure that in your browser, TLS 1.2 is enabled.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Windows 7 will support that. Are you familiar with how to run windows updates? Click on the windows icon on the bottom left of the desktop to bring up the start menu and in the search box type Windows update (singular not plural) and click on the shortcut to windows updates.

On the Windows update window on the left top of the screen click on "Check for updates" and then go get some lunch while it checks. If you haven't updated in a while it could take a long time to check and update.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campfire Time wrote:
You should have gotten an update that enables TLS 1.2 through Windows updates. So no need to do anything. TLS 1.1 will no longer be supported by any of the major browsers soon, so your website is already behind the times if they are still supporting it.

Ditto just update Windows and your browser
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)