cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low height trailer

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, this might sound crazy, but here goes.....

Is there a trailer that's overall height is less than 7 feet while still having at least 6'3" interior height?
As I type this it seems ridiculous, but maybe it exists 🙂

Looking to find a small runabout for DW and I when we want to venture out instead of going to the RV lot we have.
Kicker is that it has to fit into my townhouse's garage.

Anyway,......discuss :
14 REPLIES 14

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I'm 6'5 and the popup style trailers do not have a tall enough interior when popped up. I think an Aliner would work for you, but they are only tall at the center. Of course the best bet is to go find a few on Craigslist or a dealer lot and step inside.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Up North they have ice fishing RV models that have wheels that retract to sit flat on the ice.

This was my though too. Drop it onto some dolly wheels (usually sold for shops to roll cars around) and shove it into the garage dropped.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Mike E. wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.
I've seen some Hi Lo's locally and they look pretty cool.

I know the parameters I was looking for were pretty much impossible to achieve but thought there might be some old-timey unit out there that would fit the bill.

That 'garage model' is something I've never seen before.

Oooohh....just had a crazy thought: air-ride suspension. Low-rider for the garage and pump 'er up for the road 🙂
Up North they have ice fishing RV models that have wheels that retract to sit flat on the ice.

Personally I would purchase a trailer that fit my needs instead of the garage and put it in storage at another location.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Air suspension mod would work - it would likely have to be an “axleless” design so it would kneel far enough. If yer handy you could make an enclosed cargo conversion that would work.

A “pop up” type would be the easier way... 6’3” would be common in the standing area one would think...

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Lo TTs are cool if you are willing to pop them every time a family member wants a potty stop.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the replies.
I've seen some Hi Lo's locally and they look pretty cool.

I know the parameters I was looking for were pretty much impossible to achieve but thought there might be some old-timey unit out there that would fit the bill.

That 'garage model' is something I've never seen before.

Oooohh....just had a crazy thought: air-ride suspension. Low-rider for the garage and pump 'er up for the road 🙂

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Mike E. wrote:
Is there a trailer that's overall height is less than 7 feet while still having at least 6'3" interior height?
As I type this it seems ridiculous, but maybe it exists 🙂

Years ago RVision offered what they called a "garage model" - the tenting enclosed top section of the roof dropped down about 18" for travel & storage ...

These are rare here but common in Australia where they're called "poptops" ...

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Impossible. With 6'3" interior, you only have 9" left for the frame/floor, roof, and suspension/ground clearance under the frame.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
AppFire wrote:
Hi-Lo camper or a pop-up, your only choices...

Chris
And Trailmanor, another fold out hard side trailer. Don't know the interior height.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it 7' exactly? The reason I ask is the Aliner Ascape is 6'4" interior with a 7' 5" exterior height.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

windinmyface2
Explorer
Explorer
A frame
lets go!!

AppFire
Explorer
Explorer
Hi-Lo camper or a pop-up, your only choices...

Chris
2017 Silverado Crew cab LT Max tow package
2003 Jayco Qwest 244

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Hi-Lo trailers.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad