cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to buy locking seal for cabover window glass

Simplygib
Explorer
Explorer
I've got an old Six-Pac Truck Camper whose front cabover window has been leaking around the rubber window glass locking seal (between the glass and window frame). I would like to replace that seal, but am not sure where to find one.

I pulled out one end of the seal to take cross sectional photos of it, shown below. One is a little blurry - sorry.

Anyone know where this type of material might be available? I've checked Amazon and a couple of online sources but can't seem to find a piece that matches this cross-sectional view.

Gary and Zahra
RV Solar 101
8 REPLIES 8

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I couldnt find my leak until I turned it upside down in a bath tub and watched where water came in at. Cab over windows get a lot of vibrations imo.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Simplygib
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Yes, path1, those front cabover windows are a big pain.

I got lucky on the locking seal. A local glass shop had it. I wasn't aware that it wasn't what kept the water out though, so I guess I'll have to pull the window and apply some sealant between it and the frame. Thanks again, it will be great to get this thing sealed up.
Gary and Zahra
RV Solar 101

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Imo...Rubber just keeps out most of dust and junk. Several different sizes and shapes so I pulled window and took to glass shop that was familiar with RV windows, and had window resealed to window frame. One piece cab over windows big pain.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
That is called glazing, and it holds the glass in, but isnโ€™t what keeps after out- as Drew said the seal is between the glass and frame.

Assume you meant "keeps water out"?
That is called proof reading your posts before hitting "Post Message". :C
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all of the rubber seals on my windows earlier this year. I got them from Pelland Enterprises. They have a $4 sample kit that you can order to make sure that you get the correct seal. My MH required 3 different seals to do all of the windows. There is some kind of double-stick tape that holds the window in the frame, but it needs the rubber seal to stop water and air infiltration.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
That is called glazing, and it holds the glass in, but isnโ€™t what keeps after out- as Drew said the seal is between the glass and frame.
-- Chris Bryant

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure? You may be able to source some at a marine hardware shop like West Marine.
Replace the existing rubber seal and then edge it with this stuff.
Try googling it first.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I think typically that seal isn't what primarily is keeping the water out (or not), but rather there's a polyurethane adhesive seal between the glass and the frame itself. The rubber piece is to hold things in position, and make them look pretty, and probably to keep too much water from collecting between the glass and the frame in general.

It would probably help in finding the rubber material if you could suss out the manufacturer of the window itself (on my RV, for example, they're Hehr windows).