cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater Leak - Bottom Flange Seam

Madmartigan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Suburban water heater and near the bottom where the service door is hinged is a metal flange that seems to attach the water heater to the exterior of the trailer. This metal flange has a metal seam that runs the length of the water heater, just below the drain plug. When I drain the water heater or if the water heater weeps any water to the bottom of that flange, it seems to allow water to leak just inside the trailer itself. I've noticed water dripping immediately under the water heater but from the trailer itself. This only happens when water is sitting in this flange area. Any other time, I don't notice any other leaks from the water heater.
The simple solution would seem to be to just silicone the heck out of that seam but I doubt it will last or be a long term fix. It really seems like a design flaw and I'm shocked I don't see this as a complaint more often in my searching. Anyone else encounter this and better yet, fix it?
25' 2011 MVP Summit 25-BH
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi
6 REPLIES 6

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I have NEVER seen the outer frame door holder installed to Suburban Install directions. Always, the door frame holder is installed and THEN you install the silicone or sealant along the inside bottom edge and up the sides about 2 inches. But, yes, if NOT sealed water will intrude to the inside of the RV whether it comes from the water heater or outside rain/washing of the RV. Doug

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
There is actually a piece o foam weatherstripping on the door insert that is supposed to seal it, but caulk would work fine.
-- Chris Bryant

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Caulking is applied on inner lip of door frame PRIOR to installing into control housing

See Fig 2 & 3
PG 3

Suburban WH Installation
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
marine caulk.

Madmartigan
Explorer
Explorer
Bead of caulking I'm guessing? What brand/type caulk would you recommend for that?
25' 2011 MVP Summit 25-BH
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a bead of caulking across the bottom