cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you ever go foraging?

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We always like to forage when we are boondocking and on our hikes. Once in Oregon we found some water cress that was so delicious and often we pick berries. I know some folks like fiddle head ferns but I tried them once and thought they were nasty tasting. What about nettles?
9 REPLIES 9

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, I hope some others post back with other possibilities they have discovered in there travels. I don't know a lot about which mushrooms are edible I just know a few. I always look for "Chicken of the Woods" which can be easily identified but have not found any yet.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
When dry camping in Alaska we ran out of salad and vegetables and were low on meat. I found some morel mushrooms, and dandelions. I also caught some grayling. Made a salad from the dandelion leaves cooked the mushrooms and grayling and it was a delicious meal. I found some lions mane(mushroom) last year while camping in NH that was very good. When I used to backpack I found you could cook the dandelion leaves in water and they taste similar to spinach. Always find berries and some wild apple trees. Make apple jacks and add berries to pancakes.

Awesome. Some of those meals are the best.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When dry camping in Alaska we ran out of salad and vegetables and were low on meat. I found some morel mushrooms, and dandelions. I also caught some grayling. Made a salad from the dandelion leaves cooked the mushrooms and grayling and it was a delicious meal. I found some lions mane(mushroom) last year while camping in NH that was very good. When I used to backpack I found you could cook the dandelion leaves in water and they taste similar to spinach. Always find berries and some wild apple trees. Make apple jacks and add berries to pancakes.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We just ordered Southwest Foraging as spend more time there than anywhere and while I know the desert southwest isn't the best place, we have always been adventurous eaters and think it will be fun to learn what is edible out there.

Here in the Northwest fiddle fern and nettles are common and we have tried them both and well maybe it was the way we cooked them but not impressed. The nettles weren't bad, just not much flavor but the fern was pure disgusting IMO

rovyart
Explorer
Explorer
We tried this before. Though I need to study more about edible plants and mushroom when foraging.
fifth wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Trekkar wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Blackberries, raspberries, huckleberries

Wild onions

Fire wood when allowed

How 'ya cooking up that firewood?:)

Slow, low and banked......don't want it too hot otherwise I burn my berries :S
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Wild onions

Fire wood when allowed

How 'ya cooking up that firewood?:)
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like to look at plants when out hiking. Sometimes we opportunistically find some things to eat. I avoid mushrooms.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer

Wild onions

Fire wood when allowed
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31