cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Paying for public campgrounds

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering about paying for public campgrounds. I am thinking mostly about places like Forest Service and BLM campgrounds that may just have a pay box and not an office. Do you bring cash, pay with checks or credit card? I can see disadvantages to each of them.
26 REPLIES 26

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt_Colie wrote:
Most checks are "wash proof" these days. Take a check and try it.
I know because it was tried with one of ours, the bank didn't even start to process it. They just called us and we cleared it up and that was that.

Matt

Thanks for that valuable information confirming what I would expect the situation to be nowadays regarding good old checks.

I have enough other things to be paranoid about ... i.e. like possible failure of our Ford E450 motorhome's in-tank fuel pump out in the middle of nowhere looking for rocks where tow tucks won't/can't come - even if I can contact them via our satellite communications device!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt_Colie wrote:
I know because it was tried with one of ours, the bank didn't even start to process it. They just called us and we cleared it up and that was that.

Matt

Thanks for that valuable information confirming what I would expect the situation to be nowadays regarding good old checks.

I have enough other things to be paranoid about ... i.e. like possible failure of our Ford E450 motorhome's in-tank fuel pump out in the middle of nowhere looking for rocks where tow tucks won't/can't come - even if I can contact them via our satellite communications device!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Carry cash and do not expect change.
A pay box was the norm for about 75 years.
A lot of resident managers are a pain in the butt. Those sites always cost more.
Forest Service and NPS campgrounds are out of date and do not accomodate RVers well at all.

RE: FS and NPS campgrounds: You're right, they aren't as accommodating to RV's. (Bless their hearts!:))

These are the places I like to camp, and I use cash.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Cash. Mark the bills if you are worried that someone will claim you didnt pay. We've never had a problem.
I'd be uneasy about leaving a thief my name, address, and bank routing # with a check.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting about paying by check. I've gotten to the point that I write at most 3 checks a year... this year so far I've written one (to the state government for some fee, of course!).

My bank has actually changed names... but the tellers say my checks are still good, basically forever, as long as the routing and account numbers on them are correct.

Considering how long it has taken me to catch up with the high tech society, I'm surprised now when I run into something that still requires something like a check.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you all worry way too much about the small stuff.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
More on check washing here:

http://www.ckfraud.org/washing.html

I use one of the special pens that resists check washing for writing all my checks, and I only mail outgoing mail directly at the post office, never through my home mail box.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
As much as possible we pay the host directly for our campsite. Otherwise we deposit checks in the iron ranger.

I've never heard of "washing checks" ... how does that work??

For what it's worth, I press hard with a black ink pen whenever I write a check. The writing is pressed deeply into the paper surface so that the writing is really black and embedded. Does this help prevent washing?
They use chemicals to take out the ink. Like I said earlier they make a pen Uni gel pen, quote (features uni super ink that helps protect against water, fading and fraud). Other pen makers might have a equivalent. It should say on the pkg helps prevent check fraud.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have done both, but usually a check.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
At my favorite campground, the host says to pay with a check. Previously thieves dropped some sticky rod in the slot and retrieved the envelopes.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
As much as possible we pay the host directly for our campsite. Otherwise we deposit checks in the iron ranger.

I've never heard of "washing checks" ... how does that work??

For what it's worth, I press hard with a black ink pen whenever I write a check. The writing is pressed deeply into the paper surface so that the writing is really black and embedded. Does this help prevent washing?

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
If cash is stolen, it's the campground's problem. If checks are stolen, it's also your problem.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't full time and I don't have checks and I usually don't carry cash.

So, if I didn't makereservations ahead of time, I get enough cash to cover the fees plus a bit extra and use that.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)