Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM Colorado bent frame towing 2,100 lbs

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
From a Facebook post.

"A friend of mines Chevy Colorado with 10k miles was towing a 2100# camp trailer on a dirt road and hit a bump. This is the result. GM sent out an “investigator” 6 weeks later and has denied any warranty claims. They state the “the truck has 1” taller tires as the first reason. The second reason is the trailer is 2100 pounds, in the owners manual it states that trailers over 2k pound should have brakes. (Towing capacity listed as 5k) Since hit trailer is 100 pounds overweight and doesn’t have brakes that’s what the frame bent. No other damage to truck.
GM’s investigator took trailer to a certified CAT scale. Trailer is 2100lbs. Tongue weight is 347lbs.
Think twice about that Colorado purchase if you actually use your truck as a truck."

Click link to see pictures.

Facebook post

Edit:After doing a quick Google search of "Colorado bent frame", it appears that this guy is not alone with several people pasting about bent or cracked frames in the Colorado/Canyon forums at roughly the same spot. 
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
62 REPLIES 62

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillyBob Jim wrote:
ROFLMAO......people still debating that BS 10, 11 , 12 years later. May as well debate the Great Depression or the Dark Ages while you're at it.

Well, IMHO, as long as nobody gets mad, it is just a fun metal exercise. And any kind of thinking might get people in the habit of thinking. Maybe if people thought when they heard something, especially from a talking head, instead of just accepting as fact we might be a better society...

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
ROFLMAO......people still debating that BS 10, 11 , 12 years later. May as well debate the Great Depression or the Dark Ages while you're at it.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
danrclem wrote:
It would just give the other manufacturers more business and they would hire more people.

Don't argue logic. I had these arguments on here way back when it happened. Some people just think that if GM went out of business then those potential buyers would never purchase another truck again, that percentage of the market would just disappear and all those potential sales would be lost. They cannot seem to fathom that those buyers would go elsewhere, those other manufacturers would increase their production, that increased production would lead to increased demand for parts suppliers, dealerships, salesmen, mechanics, etc.

Let them live in La-La Land.

What you might be true long term. But at the time the demand for new vehicles was dropping because many people where loosing their jobs. And many people that where not loosing their jobs where loosing a big chunk of net worth because the value of their house and stocks where dropping. So to add several thousand more to the unemployed does not sound like a good idea to me.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
danrclem wrote:
It would just give the other manufacturers more business and they would hire more people.

Don't argue logic. I had these arguments on here way back when it happened. Some people just think that if GM went out of business then those potential buyers would never purchase another truck again, that percentage of the market would just disappear and all those potential sales would be lost. They cannot seem to fathom that those buyers would go elsewhere, those other manufacturers would increase their production, that increased production would lead to increased demand for parts suppliers, dealerships, salesmen, mechanics, etc.

Let them live in La-La Land.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Clammed up? Suddenly Silent? LOL.

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillyBob Jim wrote:
ls1mike wrote:

If you have Facebook go read it. I laughed the whole time.

Could not find it? Got a link? Maybe post some of the particulars in this thread? I'd like to get a good laugh in also.

You have to join the GMT800 site. It is closed. The thread won't come up unless you are a member.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
ls1mike wrote:

Could not find it? Got a link? Maybe post some of the particulars in this thread? I'd like to get a good laugh in also.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
ls1mike wrote:
This blew up on my GMT800 Facebook board.
Some stuff that came out after the fact:
Truck was going 40mph, Trailer was actually 3900lbs.
Everything left the ground. This came to the GMT800 board from a guy who is on the Colorado board who posted all the findings. They beat on the owner pretty good for lying about it.
It is 2900lbs dry.

Guy removed himself from the board.

Can't figure why he would take such a drastic action and remove himself when it was all GM's fault for building a substandard frame.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Groover wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Groover wrote:

I am going to take issue with that. Many companies have gone bankrupt and emerged stronger than before. I believe that the goal of the government bailout was simply to preserve to union voter base at the expense of the shareholders (many of which were retirees) and that it will probably lead to the same situation re-occurring.

To reply to this would be political, but if you looked at history you might find "preserve to union voter base" and "expense shareholders" pretty much out of character for your statement...
Over years I have seen many pickups bent like in the OP. Small pickups pulling welders or air compressor on single axle, no brake chassis.

I was referring to "They should have been allowed to fail." followed by "Yeah, and your reasoning would make for massive unemployment. Brilliant!"

My point is that the " massive unemployment" issue is debatable but I recognize that the truth will never be known on that.

Well, at that time to occupy my mind while strolling across Kansas I came up with what I think would of been a better plan to save the economy. Give everybody over 55 with net worth less than $10,000,000 a gift of $1,000,000 with strings (some would call ropes) attached. 1) you must buy a new made in USA car for cash. 2) you must pay off your mortgage. 3)You retire. That number of retires would of solved the unemployment problem. All the mortgages paid off would of solved the bankers issues, but the ones that made or invested in the bad loans might of taken a hair cut. And that big demand for new cars would of solved the auto industry problems. But we will never know...

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
Groover wrote:

I am going to take issue with that. Many companies have gone bankrupt and emerged stronger than before. I believe that the goal of the government bailout was simply to preserve to union voter base at the expense of the shareholders (many of which were retirees) and that it will probably lead to the same situation re-occurring.

To reply to this would be political, but if you looked at history you might find "preserve to union voter base" and "expense shareholders" pretty much out of character for your statement...
Over years I have seen many pickups bent like in the OP. Small pickups pulling welders or air compressor on single axle, no brake chassis.

I was referring to "They should have been allowed to fail." followed by "Yeah, and your reasoning would make for massive unemployment. Brilliant!"

My point is that the " massive unemployment" issue is debatable but I recognize that the truth will never be known on that.

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
:R
GeoBoy wrote:
danrclem wrote:
I can't prove that he was jumping any more than somebody else can prove that he was jumping. There is no way that GM can prove it either. If they're going to deny his claim for being 100 lbs. over without brakes I see a problem with the manufacturer. I wouldn't buy one of their products. They should have been allowed to fail.

Yeah, and your reasoning would make for massive unemployment. Brilliant!:R

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
This blew up on my GMT800 Facebook board.
Some stuff that came out after the fact:
Truck was going 40mph, Trailer was actually 3900lbs.
Everything left the ground. This came to the GMT800 board from a guy who is on the Colorado board who posted all the findings. They beat on the owner pretty good for lying about it.
It is 2900lbs dry.

Guy removed himself from the board.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I see the entertainment value of this thread has increased exponentially.

All over a totally one sided second hand post on Facebook with no facts presented whatsoever.