cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flowjet Waste Pump Blessing or Curse...?

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I may be gifted with a FlowJet and I wanted to get some input from Forum members that really own and use one, your thoughts on this one and really nothing else.

The reason for this gift? is that they say is a major PITA to use and setup and makes a lot of noise.

What do you all think? What is your experiences on using one.

If I use it there will be about a 15 ft run to a cleanout on my house that is 17 inches above the ground.

Thanks for any insight or helpful hints on the use on one of these.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
22 REPLIES 22

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the helpful information,links for comparisons and recommendation for larger wires,all very helpful.

The posts stayed pretty well within what I asked about albeit the sniping from the usual suspect that was uncalled for and added nothing of value to the conversation.

It looks like I will work out fine for me. Thanks for all your help explaining the ins and outs of something that I knew little about,like that screwdriver trick,that may come in handy.

Thanks again to all my helpful fellow members.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Seems like the biggest complaint is longevity and overheating. I recommend connecting with oversize 12v cable to minimize voltage drop. Too bad these portable macerators are not 120vac powered.

Bought my FloJet in 2006 so I could avoid dump station lineups, used it constantly since then, no issues at all, 'though I did finally buy a rebuild kit a couple of years ago because one of the rubber impeller vanes had broken off. 12 vdc is the only way to go as it means the ability to use the pump anywhere at any time, no need for a 120 vac power source. I'd also never buy any macerator that depends on a water source for operation - no need, the FloJet macerator is reliable, does what it's supposed to do, and will work just fine for years. Criticism always seems to come from those who've not owned one or have never used one. :S

x2

Have had mine for about 10 years. Do a lot of winter camping here in Ontario and dump stations are not open so you have to do it at home.

Also when out for an extended trip it is a great way along with a portable tote to empty the tanks and head down to the dump station.

Never an issue with it, hose it down with WD40 or what ever I have after use and never had an issue.

Noise??? It's basically a 12VDC poop blender, really, what did you expect??!!
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
I boon dock most of the year (8 months) here in the great desert of Quartzsite, Arizona and pump my waste into my 150 gallon trailer-able waste tank, my Flowjet has been working great for 8+ years with no problems.

Does it make noise? A little bit, but my neighbors wife is noisier.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Flojet comes with a neat little carrying case, if you want to stuff a wet pump in it, well go for it. Wiring is required, whether you want temporary, a convenience outlet or hard wired it still adds to the chore. There are a number of videos showing the pump in action, then you can decide for yourself if it looks like a PITA. Here is just one video: Flojet

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Dealing with a huge tub full of 1/2” 50’ hose, 3/4” 75’ hose, wiring, and switch, then connecting them is a PITA. Then draining the two hoses, coiling them and stuffing them in the tub is a PITA. Finally draining the pump and allowing it to dry before is another inconvenience.

What "huge" tub of hose? :h I lay my hose out at the beginning of the season beside the house foundation where it runs down to the inlet stack I installed on the house main stack. There it remains til the trailer is stored for the winter.

What wiring? :h Mine is permanently installed on the trailer, wired out to a standard Bargman connector beside the waste gates. Just plug the FloJet in and use it.

What two hoses? :h One 50' 3/4" to send the macerated pump output to the sewer intake stack when servicing the tanks at home. When camping I have a 25' 1/2" grey water hose I normally use for gravity draining grey water but should I need to macerate & off load the contents of the black water tank I use the same hose.

Draining the pump and allowing it to dry? :h Guess I must have missed this even though I've owned a FloJet since 2006. Wow, what an eye opener! :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
Criticism always seems to come from those who've not owned one or have never used one. :S
I am not the only one.
Primary reason to post was to provide a link to the comparison. Best to go in with your eyes open. Not here to bag on macerators. If you need one make the best of it.
Have a great day.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
is a major PITA to use and setup and makes a lot of noise.

Lynnmor wrote:
That is correct, but if you NEED one, then you do need it.

Don't understand the "PITA" part :h, using a FloJet is certainly a cleaner and easier method of off loading black water than fooling with a stinky slinky and way too expensive, too heavy wheeled tote tank. 🙂

Dealing with a huge tub full of 1/2” 50’ hose, 3/4” 75’ hose, wiring, and switch, then connecting them is a PITA. Then draining the two hoses, coiling them and stuffing them in the tub is a PITA. Finally draining the pump and allowing it to dry before is another inconvenience.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I built my own from illustrations on SteamPunkGarage. Found a brand new .5 hp badger disposal on line for $35 and went from there. I keep it at home because if I need to dump on the road, I'll find a site with either a dump site or sewer at my campsite.

It is not that loud and only runs for a few moments anyway. I have a built in tank flushing system so it's easy to dump and then flush and dump at the same time.

I did find a campground that did not allow using a macerator, they wouldn't say why.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I've used mine for years, dozens of times/year. The reason is my home sewer cleanout is slightly uphill from the driveway. Dump at home, works great, I use a 3/4" water hose dedicated to the flowjet. Several neighbors have them and like them as well.

If your cleanout is downhill then the slinky may be a better choice.

As for the floject "sticking" problem. As others have mentioned there is a large screwdriver slot on the bottom. Before using mine I just give it a turn with a screwdriver and haven't had any issues. Worse case you will pop the 20A fuse and need to replace the fuse and give the slot a turn.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
They are a blessing until a “feminine hygiene” product gets stuck in it, then you will curse.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Don't understand the "PITA" part :h, using a FloJet is certainly a cleaner and easier method of off loading black water than fooling with a stinky slinky and way too expensive, too heavy wheeled tote tank. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
I've used one for years. My clean out is about 50 feet away. I took the top off the cleanout, and built a cap with a hose fitting on it. I use a 7/8" rubber garden hose that stays out and is attached to the clean out cap year round. I never use a dump station. I back the trailer in, unload it, and drain my tanks. I also installed a dedicated power outlet in the trailer pass through with an extension cord long enough to reach the rear tank on my trailer. I wouldn't be without one.
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have one and use it from time to time. My preferred method of dumping is the traditional method but if it's uphill (*Site I'm on now is slightly up hill) or too far (Likewise) the macerator is a great.. I have 50 of 3/4 Inch BLACK hose (Color coded)

Only thing.. unless used like every few days the thing can 'Size up' for the reason the motor shaft extends out the bottom of the motor and has a nice slot. any flat tool (IE: quarter) give it a twist in the indicated direction (Dirction hose outlet comes off) before you hook it up.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote: