cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas Refridgerator

MJO21
Explorer
Explorer
We are camping for a few days next week, then I am putting the damper in storage for another 4-5 days while we stay at friends lake house.

I will noe gave access to electric and I know we will have things we need to keep refridgerated. How long will a tank of gas last if it wasn't s only running the fridge?
5 REPLIES 5

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We have twin 30 pound tanks, and two 12 volt batteries. I've left the fridge going while in storage for a week between trips and both he propane and 12-volt were fine.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
don,t worry about the gas worry about keeping a 12v battery in good shape.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
A full 20 lb tank of propane will probably keep the 'fridge cold for a month or more if that's all it's doing. This is long beyond when the commonly used camper battery goes flat from the small draw due to the 12 volt control board on that 'fridge.

For what it's worth, 4-5 days with a reasonably full tank of gas and a battery in good condition should be nothing to worry about. If the gas tank is near empty, or the battery depleted or in bad condition, all bets are off.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t worry about gas, worry about electricity. With a solar system, worry about 12 volt electricity goes away too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If 30# tanks should be no problem. Not knowing what fridge you have, I'll just say most don't use a lot. A bigger issue may be the 12V supply, as most need some 12V to operate. There are other parasitic draws as well, that all together could run a single battery down. Again if you have a fair battery bank, you should be okay for 5 days or more.

Jerry