cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator and AC help? Rookie needs help.

fourdoras
Explorer
Explorer
Brand new to RVing! Please be patient.
Class A motor home. Can I safely run our AC with the generator for longer periods of time? I purchased a Venturi exhaust extension that apparently routes the generator exhaust up and away from the RV? But the AC is on top of the RV. So is this safe to do while boondocking? Thank you for any help!
11 REPLIES 11

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Why on earth are you camping where 24/7 generator use is needed?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The DON't DO IT folks will go on and on about how the A/C can "Draw in" the exhaust fumes.

Except you do not have a Fresh Air intake on the A/C. the inside is sealed from the outside so no way can that happen..

I've run for 0ver 24 hours on occasion. No problems no alarms. Still breathing.

No without the Gen-Turi. 2 hours to CO alarm.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
You can run it--but it may be better to go to an inexpensive campground:

freecampsites.net
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
fourdoras wrote:
I was concerned about exhaust fumes etc entering the RV while we are sleeping, etc
I would be too. Better have a working CO detector. Personally I'd never sleep with a running generator any more than I'd sleep next to a running truck.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fourdoras
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. We have only been out in this one time so far. This is our first big trip. I was concerned about exhaust fumes etc entering the RV while we are sleeping, etc. Two stops will be at a harvest host, and wanted to be sure we would be safe from fumes etc while it’s running. Thank you all!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
To clarify, there is no "intake" on the roof that would move air from roof (and potentially exhaust) to the interior.

Roof A/C's take air from the inside, cool it and return it to the inside.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The Gen-Turi is designed to move the exhaust fumes safely away from your RV.
The generator is designed to run constantly and only needs to be shut down for oil level checks and maintenance.
Don't be concerned about running it for a long time. It won't hurt anything.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you're not sitting in absolutely still air you should be fine.

I'm not sure what the a/c being on top has to do with it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Yes the Genturi is a good idea to get the exhaust up and away from the RV.

As far as the question about the AC on the roof I'm assuming you are asking if the AC will pull in Carbon Monoxide while running. The answer is no, there is no exchange of air from the outside to the inside through the AC unit. So yes it is safe to run the generator with Genturi while the AC is on. However I would close any open roof vents as that is a direct path into the RV.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
You can run the genset 24/7 given fuel and occasional servicing. The genturie is good- gets fumes up and away, will not hurt the air.

+1

I have run mine as much as a week at a time with no issues. The only thing keeping me from running longer periods is shutting down the generator to change the oil.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You can run the genset 24/7 given fuel and occasional servicing. The genturie is good- gets fumes up and away, will not hurt the air.
-- Chris Bryant